Marshmallow Fondant - Prep And Storage

Decorating By alaskagirl3 Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 11:30am by alaskagirl3

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone, I'm going to try Marshmallow fondant for the first time and had a question. While it's setting instead of wrapping it in saran wrap can I put it in a Food Saver bag (which sucks out all the air)?

13 replies
tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 14

Sure, anything that keeps the air off! Have fun with it!

Miraculous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miraculous Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 14

i like a rubbermaid container but that is just my humble opinion. If you have air seep in all you have to do is microwave it for a couple of seconds to revamp the elasticity of the fondant! Have fun, you will be very glad you tried it! Experimenting is key!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 14

i am dying to try MMF. how long can you keep it, in an air tight bag?

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 14

Just tryed my first batch all I can say is it's AWSOME. Easy to make fun to play with I was such a chicken before thinking it would be hard. I will always be making this from now on.

alaskagirl3 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I'm so happy I can use the food saver since i ran out of saran wrap and its pouring out here so i don't want to run out to the store...lol

Another question about the boxed wilton fondant. I have a box left, can I just add vanilla extract to it to make it taste better? I don't want to throw it out but I taste it and it has no flavor so I don't want to use it on anything without doctoring it at least so its halfway decent.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 14

hey alaska girl!!! alaskan mom here! just thought i'd give a shout out to a fellow sourdough!

hannahrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannahrose Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 14

Alaska girl-

The Wilton fondant does taste better if you add some vanilla extract to it. My sister in law does that and it really improves the taste.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 14

alaskagirl -

You can add any flavoring, but I prefer something a bit stronger than vanilla which IMO doesn't do a whole lot to help. Raspberry is good as is lemon or almond.

Rachel

alaskagirl3 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:55am
post #10 of 14

Thank you all so much for you help on this post. I made the marshmallow fondant tonight and put it in the food saver bag and it was nice and plyable when I took it out. I love it - I am so glad I made it, because it tastes much better than wilton.

One last question, I want to make a cake that has stripes on it so if I put the fondant on first and then paint the stripes on are those luster or petal dust edible? Or should I use the candy-cake powder coloring (we used this to color gum paste in my gum paste class). I want the stripes to be edible.

Thanks for the shout out Alaskamom I appreciate it but I'm from the East Coast. I visited Alaska and loved it, hope to go back soon !!!

Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 4:00am
post #11 of 14

Alaskagirl- Check out the topsy turvy cake in my photos. All I did was for the base layer of each cake color my MMF. Then I had a batch of white that I cut into strips and then attached to my cake, it was a lot easier than painting and I didn't have to worry as much to keep the lines straight as when i cut them they were straight.

If you want to paint luster dust or petal dust will work, it just depends on the look you want. You can also use your coloring gels (i am using my wilton colors up this way so i can order more americolor)

Hope this helps some

Leily

alaskagirl3 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 14

Hi Leily,

Wow, that topsy turvy cake is great ! I hope to one day be able to make one. I took a gumpaste flower class after drooling for a long time at the Food Network shows on cake decorating and now I can't wait to try making cakes. Last nights cake from scratch came out okay although I think it had an aftertaste but I think it was from the Wilton Vanilla Extract so next time I'm going to use my regular extract to see if its any different.

As for the stripes, I wanted to try (a girl can dream) to achieve the look Colette Peters had on her pink/white/silver cake she did on the cake challenge and I think its in one of her books as well. So I think I'm going to try and paint this time. Thanks so much for the edible luster dust information I was concerned because once before someone said they were not FDA approved and I didn't want someone getting sick.

I have a box of Americolors that I got from my aunt, do you apply that right onto the fondant or do I need to mix that with vodka/lemon extract as well?

Sorry for the long post and lots of questions but you all have been such a great help. I will try and post the picture of my cake later today.

thanks again.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:43am
post #13 of 14

Sorry I missed the rest of your questions, it may be to late for the cake you were working on but I will still answer in hopes it will help in the future.

As for the Wilton Vanilla-i only use it in frostings. For my cakes I usually use Tone's and for my cookies I like to use Watkins-i am working on a batch of homemade vanilla atm so we will see how that turns out when I am done.

I have painted luster dust strips onto a cake before (no pictures) it was buttercream and i had to make sure i had a very soft brush and used a very light touch. But it did work.

Luster Dust are not FDA approved for eating, however they are non-toxic so they can be digested without any problems (as long as you get the ones that say they are non-toxic) Silver Dragees are not FDA approved but everyone still eats them on cakes/cookies. I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as you are not making the cake out of luster dust =)

As for the americolor gels-i have not mixed them yet b/c I am trying to get rid of my wilton so I am using wilton to "paint" with. I have done water and vodka, I prefer vodka b/c it seems to dry faster... but have also used water and it works well too.

Hope I answered all your questions. If you have anymore let me know =)

Leily

alaskagirl3 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 11:30am
post #14 of 14

Hi Leily,

You definetly help with your information, I made the test run cake over the weekend and tried the color gel paint. I managed to get blue colored lips so I'm hoping maybe the luster dust won't do that I have to test run the luster dust today.

Thanks again for all your help - I will post a photo once I complete the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%