Best Buttercream Recipe???

Decorating By amos133 Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 1:08am by AgentCakeBaker

amos133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amos133 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 22

Morning ladies! I am still kinda new to cake decorating. I will be making a cake for my daughters birthday later today and I am going to try to make the buttercrem myself. I have been using the Wilton's premade tubs until now. So, I was undering which recipe you ladies think is best for buttercream? Thanks for you help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 22

the buttercream dream recipe from this site - i love it - wont use anything but that now - good luck

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 22

Another vote for buttercream dream thumbs_up.gif I love it! It's all I use.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 22

I use wilton's basic buttercream recipe that calls for 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter.

Tastes so much better than the premade stuff, IMO.

Here's a link for the recipe:
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

Of course, everyone has their preference so you'll have to experiment, but since you are making your icing today, it's a good basic recipe to start with.

HTH

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 22

I was using Wilton 1/2 Crisco and 1/2 butter but still wasn't completely satisfied. Last weekend I modified it. I made it again this weekend for the 2nd time and really like the taste. Here's a link to the post I made last week with the recipe. If you decide to try it, let me know what you think. Good or Bad!! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-29539.html

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I was using Wilton 1/2 Crisco and 1/2 butter but still wasn't completely satisfied. Last weekend I modified it. I made it again this weekend for the 2nd time and really like the taste. Here's a link to the post I made last week with the recipe. If you decide to try it, let me know what you think. Good or Bad!! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-29539.html

Price, does your recipe crust? I like to use the viva paper towel method of smoothing and for that I need a crusting buttercream.

If so, I'm going to give it a try for my next cake! Thanks for posting!

Price Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 22

Yes it did crust, but seemed to be a little softer than the 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter. I put the cake in the fridge for a few minutes and was able to use Viva and then computer paper, but had to be gentle. I just made the icing again last night. I definitely like the flavor the heavy cream gives it.

ruty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruty Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 22

The buttercream dream recipe calls for butter, it must be "real butter"???, because I think it is expensive, isn't it?

Price Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 22

In my area butter is currently $3.29 a lb.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 22

Can anyone tell me if the Buttercream Dream recipe will crust???? Thanks

amos133 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 22

I was just wondering the same thing?

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 22

I love sugarshack's bc recipie. It is the easiest bc to smooth that I have found. There are no air bubbles if you make it as instructed. Here is a link to the thread http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-.html

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 22

Yes the buttercream dream recipe crusts but it does not crust quite like the wilton all crisco recipe. At least not for me. Those are the only two I have tried. I think the buttercream dream tastes 10 times better but it is also not as white, but you can fix that by adding some whitener to the mix

butternut Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 22

Amish, I just looked at the recipe. It calls for milk but not a substantial amount. Do you refrigerate your cake or can it be left out for a few days? Also, have you tried making flowers, etc. with this buttercream?
Amos123, I didn't mean to take over your post, but I really wanted to know this information on this recipe and I thought that maybe you might too icon_smile.gif

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 22

I use buttercream dream and I think it does great borders and roses. I usually add an extra TBSP of milk in mine. I have never refrigerated my cakes either. Nobody has gotten sick from it yet so my guess is they won't.

butternut Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 22

Alrighty, just one more question. Does anyone know if you can double the Buttercream Dream recipe with success? I know that some recipes just don't do well when you alter the amounts in the recipe. OK, that's it. Thanks so much!!!!!!
Hey, I just noticed. I'm now a frequent member!!!! Yipeeee icon_smile.gif

Amish Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 9:40pm
post #17 of 22

I'm not sure if you can double it mabe you can contact the person who came up with buttercream dream. My mixing bowls not large enough for that. I would refridgerate leftover icing I have kept mine for quite some time in the fridge, just give it a quick mixing before using it again.

Amish Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 9:41pm
post #18 of 22

Oh ya and congrats on your frequent member icon_smile.gif

butternut Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 10:09pm
post #19 of 22

Thank ya much, Amish!!!!

amos133 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 4:24pm
post #20 of 22

Well, I went with The buttercream dream recipe because I had the ingredients on hand. I also used the royal icing letters recipe posted on this site for my writting. I LOVED them both. Thanks so much ladies. I am anxious to try all the different suggestions posted here, so I guess I will be baking again real soon.

Pics are in my photos. It is the cupcake cake and cupcakes to match.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:06am
post #21 of 22

Hey guys

I am the user responsible for posting the buttercream dream recipe. I feel blessed that you guys like it so much. I didn't know it would be a big hit. I do use real butter in the recipe and it will crust depending on how much milk you add. The less milk you add the more it will crust. I haven't doubled the recipe b/c it gives me the right amount needed per cake. I think I was able to use this recipe to ice and decorate a half sheet cake.

If I need more icing I just make another batch. I hope this helps.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:08am
post #22 of 22

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have left this cake out in its box for at least 2 - 3 days. You don't have to refrigerate it because the milk act as a preservative. No one has gotten sick from the cake/icing sitting out in its box. Just as long as it isn't sitting directly in heat, it should be fine.

Thanks again to all who have tried this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%