Fondant/gumpaste Piano Instruct/patterns Needed, Please

Decorating By m0use Updated 26 May 2005 , 2:45am by SquirrellyCakes

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 May 2005 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 15

I am looking for a pattern (instructions nice, but not needed) to make a grand piano out of fondant.
I searched in the forums and on google under "gumpaste piano" and "fondant piano" and no such luck.
I figured something out, but having a pattern to trace and cut the fondant out of would be so much more nicer.
This will be for the graduation cake that I have due on May 29th (but plan on having finished on May 28th).

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/pianocake.htm I have found some pics on google, but no instructions yet
Thanks in advance,
m0use

14 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 May 2005 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 15

This was all I came across. Sorry...not much help. What about molding it from chocolate?

http://www.core77.com/contraption/september97/images/template.gif

m0use Posted 21 May 2005 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

This was all I came across. Sorry...not much help. What about molding it from chocolate?

http://www.core77.com/contraption/september97/images/template.gif

I was thinking about it as a last resort since I would have to buy the materials to make it, including the mold. I already have some MMF in my fridge to use up, so that's what I was going to use.
But the pic that you provided is a big help, thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:45am
post #4 of 15

Hey my little mOusey friend, I have this little piano music box. It stands about 2.75 inches high including the little feet, from front to back to the deepest part of the grand piano it is about 5.75 inches. The piano is close to 4.75 inches wide. I could trace it all out and send you the drawings with measurements and a picture if you think that might help?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

m0use Posted 22 May 2005 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Hey my little mOusey friend, I have this little piano music box. It stands about 2.75 inches high including the little feet, from front to back to the deepest part of the grand piano it is about 5.75 inches. The piano is close to 4.75 inches wide. I could trace it all out and send you the drawings with measurements and a picture if you think that might help?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

If you would be soooo kind, I would love that very much!!!. I will be making the piano tomorrow no later than Tuesday so that it dries out by Saturday. Here's my email just in case: [email protected]
Thank you again.
m0use

pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 22 May 2005 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 15

Morning Mouse ...I found this on ebay. The wilton grand piano cake pan set. Maybe the pictures can help with the constuction of your piano.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4382875021
And maybe you could print an edible image keyboard.
good luck!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 15

Hi mOuse,
I will work on those today and send them to you later.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

m0use Posted 22 May 2005 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrypuffgirl

Morning Mouse ...I found this on ebay. The wilton grand piano cake pan set. Maybe the pictures can help with the constuction of your piano.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4382875021
And maybe you could print an edible image keyboard.
good luck!

Thank you, I will have to check this out later. I'm at work and ebay is restricted access here.

m0use Posted 22 May 2005 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Hi mOuse,
I will work on those today and send them to you later.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Thank you soo much!!!!!
I think with your patterns and everything else that people have posted I should be able to figure something out.
I already figured that if I wanted to prop the top open, that I would take a toothpick and cover it with black icing, and use that to help keep the piano "open".
This will definetely be interesting for me to try. I will remember to post pics when I am done.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 15

Hi mOuse,
Sent you the patterns and measurements and some pictures of the little piano and hopefully it will make sense.
Hopefully you got the emails, one was the pattern, another pictures and another had the picture with the pattern pieces identified. WIll be back later tonight and will check in to see if you needed anything kiddo.
Cannot wait to see your piano cake.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

m0use Posted 22 May 2005 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you Squirrellycakes! I might not be getting home until really late tonight due to the fact that I am going to a dinner right after work for a friend who graduated college today. So as soon as I am able I will check me home email account.
Thanks,
m0use

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 May 2005 , 4:12am
post #12 of 15

Sure mOuse, I will check back in the morning to see if you could make sense of things.
Hugs SQuirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:23am
post #13 of 15

MOuse, just got thinking, that side piece you cut, if you dry it, it won't curve when you attach it. So I suspect you will have to re-cut it and use it when you put the piano together. Couldn't find your emails to respond. Hope you see this.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

m0use Posted 25 May 2005 , 6:53pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

MOuse, just got thinking, that side piece you cut, if you dry it, it won't curve when you attach it. So I suspect you will have to re-cut it and use it when you put the piano together. Couldn't find your emails to respond. Hope you see this.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I thought about that as I was cutting. The really long piece that I am going to curve around has been kept well covered so that it does not completely dry out.
I have to cut the bottom piece again, I picked it up one too many times and it broke on me icon_cry.gif But the other pieces seem fine. I was thinking of "glueing" it together with royal icing tinted black since most of the pieces will be too dry to put together with water.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 May 2005 , 2:45am
post #15 of 15

For glue I use Royal glue, never the water thing, just a preference. So equal portions like one tsp. meringue powder to 1 tsp. water, mix and keep covered so it won't slime, it does take a long time uncovered before it slimes, though. I only make up a teaspoon at a time, because you use only a wee bit. Trust me, it works well. Brush on with a small decorator type brush.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%