Home Baking Business In Co Or Ma

Business By southaustingirl Updated 21 Jul 2006 , 7:56pm by skylightsky

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 24

Does anyone have any information about a home baking business in either Colorado (Denver) or MA (Boston)? These are the two places that hubby and I are considering for relocation.

23 replies
kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:10am
post #2 of 24

I am curious about MA too, we live here now, and I am starting a home business! Giving this a bump!
Kelly

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 24

I just do cakes on the side, but my understanding is that you CAN have a legal homebased cake business here in MA. You have to have your kitchen inspected and approved as a "residential kitchen" first, and it's possible that the requirements for that could vary county to county. Check out these links for more info:

http://www.northbridgemass.org/pdf/res_kit_brochure.pdf

http://www.mass.gov/agr/markets/specfood/selling_foods_made_in_your_farm_kitchen.htm

southaustingirl Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:05am
post #4 of 24

thanks for the info!!!

southaustingirl Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:15am
post #5 of 24

I forgot to ask......can I still have a home based baking business in MA if I have an indoor pet (dog)?

lehall2006 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:24am
post #6 of 24

I don't know, I haven't researched it that thoroughly. You might try calling the number on the link. Good luck!

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:02am
post #7 of 24

Hi...

Researched all day today about obtaining a license to sell cakes and cater.

As I find answers, I will post them.

By the way, if you in the Massachusetts are and would like to advertise your business, and willing to provide a cake for auction.. email me.

I"m putting together a fund raiser... concept stage at the moment, but if I get just a few volunteers, I think this could work.

lehall2006 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 24

Thank you! I look forward to hearing what you discover...

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 24

I have actually been looking into this for the past week or so. I know different counties vary on the rules and regulations. For instance where I am I need ALL non porus counter tops separate storage for food (chilled and dry) I need a food safty handling course certificate. As a residential kitchen would not work here by the guidelines if you are working with any parishable food items as in fillings that need to be chilled. I am going to the board of health this week to get "everything" I need to know and do. I just wanted to make sure this would be worthwhile. I will keep anyone posted if interested.

lehall2006 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 24

Thank you, Lisa. I'd definitely be interested to hear anything you learn!

spottydog Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 24

No problem. I think I'm going down tomorrow am.

Nice to see someone near by. I have an uncle in cambridge and family in malden & lynn

lehall2006 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 24

Hey, that's great! I love living in MA. I've been here about 6 years now and think it's just the best. Where are you located on the Cape?

spottydog Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 24

Mid cape area....Centerville/hyannis area

lehall2006 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 24

Oh, it's so beautiful down there. We try to make a cape trip every summer...with this rainy weather, we haven't made it down there yet! icon_cry.gif

spottydog Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 24

Yeah it's been pretty yucky here. Today is nice though.Happy Birthday Tomorrow if your not around. icon_smile.gif

lehall2006 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:04pm
post #16 of 24

Thanks! I have to work tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll be checking in on CC!

skylightsky Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:40am
post #17 of 24

Just in case you are interested, here is a response I received on attempting to locate just how to establish a catering business in Boston.

catering extends beyond cake making... but FIY one man to contact is
Richard Chung. His email is

[email protected]

If you have a particular address here in Boston that we can check to see whether that property is in a zone that a catering use is allowed we can then determine what steps you need to take in order to take you through our permitting process -

After we check with the Planning and Zoning Division as to the zone that your address is in, we can then find out from you if you're going to have to change the occupancy of that address to include the catering use (#46) or if you're going to be doing any renovations to the particular space in question -

For now, we can start with an address, determine the zone, see if that use is allowed in that zone, decide on what permits you may need to file and go from there -

Please feel free to call me or e-mail me anytime -

Richard K Chung
617-961-3424

lehall2006 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 12:17pm
post #18 of 24

Wow, how nice is that guy? That's excellent!

spottydog Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 12:25pm
post #19 of 24

HAPPY BIRTHDAY lehall

lehall2006 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 12:28pm
post #20 of 24

Thank you! So glad to be here on CC!

southaustingirl Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:02pm
post #21 of 24

thanks for the information!!!!

spottydog Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:00pm
post #22 of 24

Ok so I posted a totally different post a few min ago. I should've posted it here for the people in Mass. Here's a link:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/environmental/foodsafety/res_kit_brochure.pdf

Question is, if all I offer to get started is flavored buttercream is a residential permit ok? I really want to try out selling cakes but don't want to set up my house as catering requirements until I see if I can make a name for myself. Any suggestions?

spottydog Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:03pm
post #23 of 24

I understand this totally limits me to what I can offer. But Is it a smart move. Or do I dump 10,000 bucks setting uo separate stove, fridge,storage, non pourus counters and ect......

skylightsky Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:56pm
post #24 of 24

More information about Mass.

It describes what is necessary to establisha food business in Massachusetts.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/isd/pdfs/fsapp.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%