Stolen Cake Photos!

Decorating By dtmc Updated 27 May 2007 , 8:47pm by MissCarrieMarie

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:49am
post #1 of 25

What would you do if you saw a bakery in your town advertising other cake bakeries cake photos on their websites? Would you report them to the known bakery or not get involved at all. I have seen a local cake company in my area using stolen cake photos on their website. They even are published in a local magazine with another companys cake photo. It is absolutly illegal and immoral.

Just curious to see what people would do. I am really annoyed by this. Because if someone stole one of my photos, I would have a huge problem with it. We all take make our cake with pride. Its not fair for someone to do that, you know.

24 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #2 of 25

I would send an email to the original bakery (the owner of the original phoot) Then it is in their court to take legal action. Who knows they may have a deal that the other one can use the photos you just never know.

Maybe send them an email with the link or call and talk with the owner/manager.

dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:58am
post #3 of 25

I kinda feel weird about it. I don't want to make to really get involved. I'm starting my own business and don't want trouble. I don't want a bad reput. But I know if someone did it to me, I would be hurt, disappointed, etc..................

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #4 of 25

and If someone did it to you....you would want someone to tell you about it too. I would make the original bakery aware of it!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:09am
post #5 of 25

If you know who the works belong to, I would notify them and let them decide if they want to do anything about it or not.

But I would also let the bakery know that I knew what was going on.

Who is it? Do they have a website?

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #6 of 25

You could notify the original owner anonamously.

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:12am
post #7 of 25

I think you should't get involve if is not affecting you directly... No long ago something like that was here at CC and was a huge deal and people was very hurt at that situatio. icon_cry.gif When the people that is involve directly at that situation find out about it let them take care of that. If I was you I will save myself some problems... thumbs_up.gif

dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:17am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I wish I could email them anonamously.....Its one thing to see cakes on a website but to see them published in a bridal magazine!!!

dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:19am
post #9 of 25

I was looking at the site a little more closely...
they have other peoples stolen photos on there as well. Not just from one other bakery. They even left the other bakery's watermark on the photo and added their own watermark! If that isn't a clue then I don't know what is!!!!!

WOW!!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I wish I could email them anonamously.....Its one thing to see cakes on a website but to see them published in a bridal magazine!!!

Why can't you email them anonymously?

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #11 of 25

I would say if you want to do it anonymously I would do a print out of the page, then highlight the watermark and send it to them via snail mail.
Anonymously no return address.

You could write a note and print it to go along, saying: I am a local customer of yours and noticed this. I do not know if you and your competitor have a deal, but I felt this did not look good for you or them..... Just wanted you guys to know I noticed your work being "borrowed".

That way, it could only be traced back to you if they do fingerprints or DNA analysis!! I doubt it!!!!
(I watch too much CSI!)

Good Luck.

dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:30am
post #12 of 25

How do you do snail mail?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:36am
post #13 of 25

An envelope and a stamp. icon_razz.gif

Don't mind me, in a silly mood tonight. "snail mail" is a term for just regular mail.

You could create a new email account through gmail or yahoo or something too and just attach the pics. You don't have to have your real name on it.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

How do you do snail mail?

snail mail means sending it by regular post office mail.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:38am
post #15 of 25

snail mail= aka... regular mail through your postal service letterbox to letterbox...

I too would be upset and had a similar situation which i did confront the person myself as it involved my cakes... selling on an auction site is a great way to get public attention and sales but in doing so there is of course other competition which i myself check out of course, and in doing so found a person asking them about one of the cakes they had seen which turned out to be one of mine. I take pride in having about 95% or more of my own designs but yet this person was taking all the credit as the enquirer thought it was one of hers i have since noticed she doesnt then let others believe it is her cake hmmmm

dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:42am
post #16 of 25

Okay....duh...snail mail...sorry I feel like an idiot. Sorry it has been a long day for me! hehehehehehe

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #17 of 25

All I have to say is; If anyone every sees my photos published by someone else on their website or otherwise I want you to tell me about it. I would do the same for you.

What do you have to be afraid of?? The rightful owner of the pictures being thankful you told him/her someone has stolen their photos!?!?

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:48am
post #18 of 25

Send me a private message with all of the info and I'll tell them via Email! Stealing is wrong!!!! I manufacture Halloween props and sell them on Ebay. Not long ago someone stole my pic to sell an inferior product. I reported them and was furious!!!! By them selling a crappy product and using may photo it made it look like I do bad work

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:49am
post #19 of 25

I agree that I would want to know...and even if I did have a deal with them it would make me feel good to know that others were looking out for me...JMHO!!

dtmc Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #20 of 25

I understand it is bad and wrong. I absolutly agree. I just don't want to get into a "ordeal" if you will. I just happen to notice this and don't want to create a bad reputation for myself. I'm trying to start up my own business and just don't want trouble. I want to list the websites for you to see, but who knows they could be cc members as well.

I just want to watch out for myself. I have seen and had friends get slammed for reporting issues and getting bad reputation. All they were trying to do is be the nice guy. But sometimes the nice guys get slammed.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:06am
post #21 of 25

Anonymously via Snail Mail is the way to go them...I know I would want to know.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #22 of 25

I agree, sometimes it's better to be anonymous.

Glad everyone had a good laugh about he snail mail thing. I started laughing so hard once I saw all the responsed, my DH said, slow down honey, no need to go into labour tonight! (9 days left!)

Good Luck.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:07am
post #23 of 25

I would take up Juliequeen's kind offer of emailing for you - that way you can nip something in the bud if it is a case of 'stealing' and won't have rocked the boat either way.

I knew of expression snail mail but did wonder for just a second whether there was a new email provider on the market [email protected]

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:17am
post #24 of 25

You could always call and pretend to be a customer that saw their cake in the magazine and was wondering if they were affiliated with the other bakery at all because you saw their cake picture on display there. You aren't exactly tattling, more like getting info while advising them of the situation.

MissCarrieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCarrieMarie Posted 27 May 2007 , 8:47pm
post #25 of 25

shoot.... I love when bad people get in trouble~ I'll call the bakery icon_smile.gif haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%