Do You Make Your Own Birthday Cake?

Decorating By divaricks Updated 27 Jun 2006 , 8:45am by da_goof

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:49pm
post #31 of 71

[or maybe a very good friend will surprise you like what happened to me I guarantee you will break down and cry. ]

tiptop57
You're right, I would! [/quote]

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:51pm
post #32 of 71

I've never made my own cake...infact, I can't remember the last time I had a cake on my birthday!!!!! My DH never thinks about it and my son is too young to make one on his own....I'm guessing he will ask daddy about a cake for mommy this year but I really can't see 'ole DH in the kitchen baking a cake!!!
elly

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:54pm
post #33 of 71

Never. I really don't care about cake or desserts of any kind. I just love to make them for others. It makes me so happy to see them so happy!

I prefer simply a good meal and a good glass of wine for my birthday, surrounded by beloved friends and family. I USED to have to cook the meal myself, but now that we have a chef-in-training daughter, I get treated to the most divine birthday meals you could imagine. AND, she and her sisters do all the clean-up, afterward.

Bliss!

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:55pm
post #34 of 71

Well, I know my husband (as good as he is in the kitchen) would not make me a cake - if he thinks of it, he may get me one from an ice cream shop or something and we really haven't discussed it.

My beautiful daughter Jasmine (cake for her 1st birthday in my photos) isn't old enough as she is only 1 to make Mommy a cake - I love all the responses -

I loved hoe someone said they like to give the other local bakers that do a good job a chance - there is a great lady that owns a wholesale bakery that I always used to order my cakes from until I learned how to do it myself (she made our wedding cake and many others) that I might call and ask to do it.

Who knows - maybe I will end up making my own!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:59pm
post #35 of 71

Are you kidding!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Never! My husband made my 30th birthday cake and since then (our birthdays are 4 days apart) we just go to Cinnabon and bring home some cinnamon rolls and stick a candle in the middle and VIOLA!!!!!

I want NOTHING to do with cake when it comes around to my birthday!

Amy

I should edit this and mention I LOVED my 30th birthday cake! He made the whole thing from start to finish! If I can find a picture I'll post it!!!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:10pm
post #36 of 71

I usually buy mine, or hubby goes to buy one. I looooooove cheesecake. And I just can't stand the waiting when I'm doing one. So I'd eat up the cake before it's done icon_surprised.gif So better buy one, like, I eat less cake and it doesn't show up in my tighs and butt. icon_cry.gif

Lorris

CityGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CityGirl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:13pm
post #37 of 71

I never make one for myself. DH either makes or buys one. He knows I'm a cake snob though, so it has to be from a good bakery if he buys it. He knows better than to buy me a supermarket cake with "bettercream" frosting.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:43pm
post #38 of 71

LOL I should make my own birthday cake...... because I never have one!

I make everyone else's, but it is a labor of love, and I will not make my own....... one year my baby (who was 6 at the time) got me a cake at Wal-Mart, but that is the only birthday cake I have ever gotten.

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:01pm
post #39 of 71

I had planned on doing my own this year mostly just for practice. But then I decided I wanted my mom's homemade oatmeal cake with her homemade coconut frosting, kinda hard to make pretty icon_smile.gif so she made my birthday cake. I did however help my cake decorating friend do hers on her birthday and everyone said "WHAT?!?! You can't do your own cake!!!"

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:05pm
post #40 of 71

I am very happy to say that my sisters usually make me a cake for my birthday. Eventhough they dont like decorating it I still think it looks very pretty and I really appreciate it. Also its nice not having to do another cake.

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:03am
post #41 of 71

I usually make a boxed mix with my girls then let them get all messy "decorating" it. My 2 yr old always eats more frosting than is ever on the cake but my oldest who turns 7 today does a pretty good job.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 8:26am
post #42 of 71

I REFUSE to allow anyone to BUY me a cake - I tell them they will make it or I will go without. I can't stand bought cakes. I know I might sound like a b&^%$# but they can go buy a cake mix & a can of icing or make buttercream - it is simple. My ex husband made me a cake every year. My boyfriends mom made it this year. The guys I work with even MAKE my cakes.

Tamanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamanna Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 9:37am
post #43 of 71

why not? i make my birthday cake so i can make what i want....

sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 10:05am
post #44 of 71

When I was working in the company I use to get a cake and that one was eaten in the office. My family expect something special every year and it is natural to make cake for my own b'day (I live alone, but have so many relatives who never forget my b'day). This is the first year that only money I earn is from cake decorating, we'll see what will happen.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 1:05pm
post #45 of 71

I made mine this year. Since I am new to decorating, I need some excuses to make a cake sometimes. I didn't care- l like the taste of my own cakes anyway.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 9:07pm
post #46 of 71

I don't get cake, because I won't make one myself. One bday cake since I was 15.

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 9:14pm
post #47 of 71

This year I'm making my own. Since I've just started playing with 3-D cakes, I figured it was the perfect excuse to make another cake! lol.

~Nicole

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 9:22pm
post #48 of 71

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By choice because all the other bakery cakes out there tastes like crap to me. I always complain about it but do enjoy it....kinda a love-hate relationship...that is b/c my birthday is Christmas Eve so besides all the cooking I do for that night (being latin, we celebrate the 24th and not the 25th), I also do my cake....worse part is my in-laws kinda forget b/c of all the X-Mas festivities and then when its time for dessert I bring out the cake with the candles and then they say...."Oh yeah, it's your B-day...Happy B-Day".....like hello, they have only known me for 18 years and they can't remember my B-day! icon_evil.gif

SORRY.....I know I'm venting!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening,
Naty

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:58am
post #49 of 71

Nope! My birthday is one of the days I pamper myself. I usually get my cake from a local bakery in my area that makes a wicked chocolate ganache covered sponge cake with canolli filling. Ummmmmmmm Umm! birthday.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:00am
post #50 of 71

no...we do birthdays for adults w/ pie...gooseberry in my case!

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:12am
post #51 of 71

I have never made myself a birthday cake. I am a cake snob also though...don't buy me a cake when I can do much better myself! Although...I do work in a supermarket bakery...but I also will admit that most of the time, I do not do my best work there due to time constraints.

This year, my dh made me a cake! It was soooo awesome! I'd never had anyone make me a birthday cake...when I was married to my ex, my in-laws would buy me something and so would my parents...and it really got aggravating that one year, I asked for cheesecake...and got a boston cream pie...I HATE boston cream pie!!! I didn't get cheesecake because my then MIL didn't like it....

Bleh. If it's your birthday, you should get what you want, regardless of what everyone else wants!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 4:33am
post #52 of 71

I get a cake, oh, maybe once every 5-10 years. This year was special, in that my best friend got cheesecake for us (her & her DH, me and my DF) and we made Chinese at her house.

Best birthday dinner in a looong time!

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 4:41am
post #53 of 71

It's been several years since I've really celebrated my birthday or had a birthday cake, but I think next year I'll have to make one! Might have to try doing an ice cream cake, otherwise we'd end up getting one from Baskin Robbins and I wouldn't have the fun of decorating it.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:42am
post #54 of 71

I've made my cake since I was 15 (10 years, icon_surprised.gif , that's a little scary)...but I enjoy it because I can do things that I wouldn't normally try. This past year I made my cake, and my brother brought me a slice of the chocolate zuccotto cake from Maggianos (best cake ever, hands down) so I had that, and the rest of my family had my cake...pretty funny.

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:29pm
post #55 of 71

I haven't had a birthday cake since I was around 10 or 12 and I am now 30. I have never been much of a cake eater anyway, but have always had a passion to decorate them for some reason. (good thing my family loves cake). I now have Type 2 diabetes so I can't eat them anyway, and I don't fool with that sugar free stuff it tastes disgusting to me. I would rather not have it at all and save the calories.. thumbs_up.gif

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:36pm
post #56 of 71

I like my husband to decorate them. I'm the only person I know who doesn't like buttercream icing. So, when my birthday comes along, I actually like my husband and kids making me a box cake mix with the store bought tub icing. I think that tastes better than my own cakes, but everyone else disagrees with me. So, I figure on my birthday, I should get the cheap easy cakes!

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:57pm
post #57 of 71

My husband and my boys make my cakes. They made the mom cakes in my profile.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:40pm
post #58 of 71

I almost always have to because it is my sons birthday too. Plus i have stopped having birthdays LOL, i say i am 21 forever because he took over my birthday the day he was born. Two cakes are to much to eat for us, so I share a cake with him and put his name on it and they sing rob and mom. it is very sweet.

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 8:34pm
post #59 of 71

This is very timely for me also!! In my first marriage my ex used to get me this wonderful chocolate mousse cake that was covered in chocolate (sigh) but that was the only thing he ever did for me. Since I've remarried I've only had a couple of cakes from the local supermarket..but this year I'm making my own! There is a design I want to try and who better than me to try it out on!

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 11:00pm
post #60 of 71

that's because I usually celebrate it with my sister. And I get so mad if someone dares to bring a store bought cake into my house. My 30th I made a huge over the hill cake for myself. Now I am turning 40? How high can a mountain be? HA HA. I am going to make a fabulous cake this year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%