Frosting Petal Pans:

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 22 May 2007 , 3:29am by designsbydelights

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #1 of 6

I just got the petal pan set and am very excited about using them. I made a cake last night and used the small (6") petal pan for the top (in gallery). Anyway, It was hard to frost around those curves. I was having problems with it filling in between the petals and kinda rounding it out so it was harder to tell it was a petal pan instead of a round. Then, when I'd try swooping in to make the curves, it would get too close on the outsides and the cake would show through. Tougher than I'd anticipated icon_rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have any tricks to frosting the petal pans? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 May 2007 , 5:33am
post #2 of 6

I use an icing bag with a coupler and no tip. Make a few vertical swipes of icing in the deepest part of the groove. A turntable helps, too.

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 20 May 2007 , 11:14am
post #3 of 6

I also have the same set of cake pans. I use my quick icier for the cake and some very very hot water to dip the spatula in. Shake or wipe off the water and do the inside curve first, then the outside sides. Diping the spatula offen in the very hot water. Azure

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 20 May 2007 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try the vertical lines with icer tip or at least large basketweave tip to get it even first.

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 20 May 2007 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 6

I had the same issue, it started to look 8' round but just iced it a few times and put in hte fridge, then ice somemore, it came out nice but Geeesss Im scared to do the 6 "

designsbydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydelights Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

After I iced and delivered my last petal shaped wedding cake I came home and took every picture of petal cakes out of my brides (customer) show book! I've done many in 16 years, but no more. LOLicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%