How Do I Get My Cakes Taller?

Decorating By aggiecakes Updated 22 Jun 2006 , 2:52am by Cake_Princess

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 11

I have only made 2 cakes so far and both were made in 2 8-inch round pans. When I stack my 2 layers, they just don't look as tall as cakes I see from other photos on this website. How do I get my cakes taller? Do I need to cut the 2 layers so that I have 4 and put filling/frosting between them all or should I be making 3 layers instead of just 2?

10 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 11

I use the cake mix extender recipe - it makes the cakes nice and full. With that recipe you will more than likely get 3 - 8" cakes out of it, so not only will they be taller, you will have an extra layer to use if you want to.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 11

You might want to try the Dream Whip recipe. I use it everytime I make a cake, they come out very nice.

Just by a box of dream whip or Kroger brand whipped topping. (dry mix)

add a packet of it to any cake mix
add 4 eggs
add 1 cup of COLD water or milk
beat for 4 minutes

Your cake will rise nicely, but be sure not to over fill your pans! (They should be 2/3 full)

Sherry

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 11

Sherry0565, would I add all those ingredients in addition to what the cake recipe already calls for?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 11

First thing I would check is to make sure that you have enough batter in the pans. You could torte each layer and fill to add extra height. Also I have read that you could add some meringue powder to the recipe to make it rise higher.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 11

What is the cake mix extender recipe?

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 11

I find torting the cake gives a good height.

Quadcrew, which cake mix extender recipe do you use?

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 11

The Cake Mix Extender recipe is on this site. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-0-Cake-Mix-extender.html

HollyPJ Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 11

I generally torte my cake layers as well, resulting in 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling per tier. This really adds to the height of the cake. Plus I really like filling. icon_smile.gif[/i]

HollyPJ Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 11

Oh man...it looks like that last post sent me into the Forum Addict category. I'm not sure how I feel about that! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:52am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiecakes

I have only made 2 cakes so far and both were made in 2 8-inch round pans. When I stack my 2 layers, they just don't look as tall as cakes I see from other photos on this website. How do I get my cakes taller? Do I need to cut the 2 layers so that I have 4 and put filling/frosting between them all or should I be making 3 layers instead of just 2?

Simply make sure you are using the appropiate amount of cake batter the pan requires. Also, use the bake even strips. This will produce a nice flat cake so you don't waste cake by needing to trim.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%