Cold Cake Batter Okay?

Decorating By Shanna Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 1:35pm by MandyE

Shanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanna Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 11

I refrigerated some leftover cake batter (from earlier this morning) and want to use it this afternoon for another cake. Is it okay to use right out of the refrigerator, or is it best to let it come to room temperature? I didn't know if one way or the other would effect the taste of the finished cake.

Thanks!

Shanna

10 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #2 of 11

I've often wondered this myself....no idea. Here's a bump!

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #3 of 11

I did this on Friday. The cake baked like normal but I didn't need it for what I was needing so I put it in the freezer. I did taste a little that stuck to the cooling rack and it tasted ok. Sorry I can't be more help.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #4 of 11

I don't know if it will affect the taste. I think that waiting to use batter has something to do with the cake not rising. The Gluten sets or something. (shoot I can't think of the word. Ill go lookand be back!)

edited to add the word! I found it! I will now look fo a page to "prove this" icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #5 of 11

I've done it before. If it is a thicker batter, it's harder to do because when you scoop it into the pans, sometimes it's thicker like cookie dough and you can get big air pockets in there. If it's a thinner batter, it should be ok but cook it at a bit lower temperature for a little longer time or the edges will get cooked and the middle won't.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #6 of 11

Well, I've always let my refrigerated cake batter come to room temp before baking...& it's always worked out fine.

Not sure about baking it right from the 'fridge icon_confused.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:29am
post #7 of 11

I have done this before and as marthajo stated, my cake did not rise like the first one, I have especially noticed a significant difference when I did this with cupcakes.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #8 of 11

Okay I found a page... it talks about fruitcakes but it is something witht the leavening agents...They do say to go straight from fridge to oven. It will take longer to bake but less "expiration of the leavening agents...."

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=2938

Shanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanna Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #9 of 11

Thank you, all, for your input! I actually used the cold batter before I read any of the responses, and it did bake a bit differently than the first cake I baked using the "just made" batter. There did not appear to be a problem with it rising, but the cold batter had lots of air pockets in it, and it did take longer to bake. I don't think the taste will be effected, though (keeping figers crossed). I'll know next weekend when I thaw them out to decorate.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Shanna

Dancingprincess64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dancingprincess64 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 1:37am
post #10 of 11

I have a question that goes along with this...does anyone know how long unused cake batter will keep in the fridge? Does is go bad, or is it just more difficult to work with? Thanks for any help!

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 11

Dancingprincess64 - I have the same question. I tried to find an answer by searching the forums but I'm not having any luck. I hope someone can help us. I refrigerated some batter from last weekend and wanted to bake it up tonight. I'm wondering if that is too long. Anyone know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%