I've Been Snubbed!

Decorating By melxcloud Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 11:09am by da_goof

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #31 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everemton

I think I was just too shocked to react. I couldn't BELIEVE what she had said. Mind you the girl is a bit of a ditz. She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I just sweetly said " well, good luck with that, see you at work." and hung up.

I know it's not nice, butI seriously hope she does try to make her own cake. I'd go to the wedding JUST to see it. icon_evil.gif

i would love to see her try as well. if you can do it, I'm sure I can.. she is a jerk.. and that is not the word I am thinking of. Even if she did come back at you with a right price. I prolly wouldnt do it

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:11pm
post #32 of 194

Any possibility, Everemton, that you could take pictures of this cake that this obviously very talented woman is going to make for herself?

Sometimes I would just like for someone to see my kitchen when I get done with the simplest of cakes. Looks like Katrina went through. That alone is worth a few bucks on the price of a cake. If they only realized what our equipment costs.

I don't even know this dizzy broad and I'd like to slap her into next week. Takes all kinds I guess.

Melxcloud, sounds like your feelings are soothed somewhat. Don't send too many freebies to the DH's workplace or they will expect them all the time also. At least you didn't have to eat a Walmart assembly line cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Diane

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:18pm
post #33 of 194
Quote:

She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I know it's not nice, butI seriously hope she does try to make her own cake. I'd go to the wedding JUST to see it. icon_evil.gif

Everemton: Wow Good for you for standing up for yourself. She's nuts and will soon understand that. I'd LOVE to see that cake if she tries it. 450 people?? That's HUGE!

Everemton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Everemton Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:21pm
post #34 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

Quote:

I think I was just too shocked to react. I couldn't BELIEVE what she had said. Mind you the girl is a bit of a ditz. She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

i would love to see her try as well. if you can do it, I'm sure I can.. she is a jerk.. and that is not the word I am thinking of. Even if she did come back at you with a right price. I prolly wouldnt do it

Oh HEEEELLLLLLL NO I would not make her cake. Even if she DID offer the right price. I'm envisioning a frantic call from her the night before her wedding. (which is when she plans to make it.) "OMG- PLEASE HELP ME!!!!" icon_cry.gif To which I'll reply "That's okay, I'm sure you'll figure it out - seeing as it's SOOO easy and all."

Not bitter am i?? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:29pm
post #35 of 194

melxcloud - yummy or not - it's still a sheet cake with what - roses - OMG - how very creative of them......

Everemton - ya really gotta take the girl down!

[The Queen turned crimson with fury, and, after glaring at her for a moment like a wild beast, screamed `Off with her head! Off--' ] from Alice in Wonderland.

....just in case you need a role model to help you scream at her while your guards carry her to the chopping block icon_lol.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:30pm
post #36 of 194

If she wants to pay that little for a cake, I'd hate to guess what the dinner will be like...

Jenn123 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:37pm
post #37 of 194
Quote:

Oh HEEEELLLLLLL NO I would not make her cake. Even if she DID offer the right price. I'm envisioning a frantic call from her the night before her wedding. (which is when she plans to make it.) "OMG- PLEASE HELP ME!!!!" icon_cry.gif To which I'll reply "That's okay, I'm sure you'll figure it out - seeing as it's SOOO easy and all."

Not bitter am i?? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a good weekend to go out of town!! When she sees how much it is going to take to buy pans, equipment, ingredients, etc., she's going to wish she hadn't said that to you!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:40pm
post #38 of 194

Everemton:

Furthermore on Bridezillas.......

Monsters do not reform - they have to be taken out. Geez, even "good" monsters are shot down from the tallest buildings! Rat-a-tat-tat - take that you nasty beast!

Everemton, you are a saint and should have a statue commissioned in your honor! icon_cool.gif

lionladydi Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:55pm
post #39 of 194

I have been sitting here thinking about this ditzy bride to be and wonder if she has priced cakes anywhere else. If she has, then she knows what they are worth. Tell her you could set her up with the "Redneck Wedding Cake". You know, the one with tiers of twinkies and hostess cupcakes. She couldn't even do that for 450 people for that amount of money even if she bought them at the day-old bakery. icon_twisted.gif

diane

throwemndapan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
throwemndapan Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:02pm
post #40 of 194

I agree...dont do the cake. I have pricing isses with my mom she says I'm too expensive. I think people have it backwards they want us to charge less than the stores do fro their yukie cakes. it takes alot of effort to make a cake that tastes great and is pretty. They may not want to pay you-believe me some people out there do pay for quality. icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:02pm
post #41 of 194

everemton: OMG!!! "Anybody can squirt frosting on a cake!" R U KIDDING ME??? I'm a redhead with a temper to match, and I gotta say, she got off soooooo easy! I would've been tempted to flatten that woman.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:03pm
post #42 of 194

OMG! ROTFLAO about the day old bakery!!!! HAHAHAHA

Good for you for sticking to it. I winder if anyone has made a practice cake for work with words saying to call you for their cake needs and leave some biz cards next to the cake. That way it would be like an advertisement.

"Enjoy this free sample from XYZ Bakery. Please call 555-1234 for all your cake needs!"

Anyone ever do this?

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:22pm
post #43 of 194

....about the ditzy bride.... i want to go to that wedding too!!! IF you get invited, you should go, just to take a pic. of her cake....and post it for us.

haha

melody

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:24pm
post #44 of 194
Quote:

That is something I would LOVE to see! Please be sure and take a picture for us icon_evil.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:50pm
post #45 of 194

Ummmmmmm.........

In her defense, I really do think some people just don't get it. The first time I went cake shopping, for my wedding, (I grew up really redneck! LOL), I was surprised how much the cake cost. It could very well be that her lesson will come as she travels around looking for a cake.

Yes, we undersell ourselves. When I bought that first cake, a several tiered cake to feed 200, plus a 9 x 13 groom's cake, the lady quoted me $375, then a couple of months later (about a month and half before the wedding) she called me and said she had a money crunch, and if I could pay her that week, she would knock $75 off the price. This lady had to be new at cakes, although she never let on. This was in 1991, but she was so much cheaper than everyone. This was when I could get a three-tier from Kroger for $200. That cake should have cost so much more. It was several tiers with lilies.

Also, you have to give some people that they really don't know what goes into a cake.

Yes, the lady was rude. And good for you for not doing her cake. Stick to your guns. And wow, what a woman to just turn and walk away. I'm not sure I could have done that.

But, what about when the lady realizes how much that cake is gonna cost her? What about when she learns the lesson? What about when she comes to you, and is ready to pay what you are asking, and/or is ready to cut her order?

Yeesh, I sound like I'm fussing. I'm not. Again, good for you. Everyone should set a price that is fair, and equitable for us, with all the time, training, equipment, and energy we put into our creations. You go, girl.

P.S. Wouldn't I love to get an order for a cake for 450? My biggest order to date has been a small tier cake, I think it was $200. LOL

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:56pm
post #46 of 194

i used to do this all the time, at every event i would say ill bring the cake, just casue i know everyone liked them and some times i just HAVE TO DECORATE! lol I always said i would bring them, they never actually asked me. so when they did ask i would charge it hasnt been a problem. and no discounts either.
wait fro them to ask, stop providing free cake completely.

lionladydi Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:01am
post #47 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

....about the ditzy bride.... i want to go to that wedding too!!! IF you get invited, you should go, just to take a pic. of her cake....and post it for us.

haha

melody

I see that you live in Kansas City. Just come on down through Willow Springs and pick me up. I'm dying to go to this wedding also. icon_lol.gif We must hear the outcome of this wedding cake.

Diane

tccksmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tccksmith Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:19am
post #48 of 194

Trust me THEY WILL ASK ABOUT THE CAKE. It will be on the day you don't show up with one. Trust me-experience from my own job. And you have to understand that you never waited for them to ask before-so they just assume that you will bring it like always. It takes a couple times of this and then they will start asking and paying.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:35am
post #49 of 194

I've been there...sorry these folks made you feel bad!

Everemton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Everemton Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 12:11am
post #50 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

If she wants to pay that little for a cake, I'd hate to guess what the dinner will be like...

Oh no, she is having an AMAZINGLY expensive wedding. I believe the dinner is running around $34 a head. For 450 people, that's $15300 JUST for food. I think that's what pisses me off the most - she went "balls out"(excuse the expression) on everything else but thinks I should make her a cake for $300. WTF? icon_confused.gif

Jenn123 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 12:15am
post #51 of 194

Good grief! $34 for dinner and 50 cents for the cake??? And the dinner won't be in the wedding album!

lionladydi Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:02am
post #52 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

Good grief! $34 for dinner and 50 cents for the cake??? And the dinner won't be in the wedding album!

Good point. But the cake she makes will be in the wedding album. You know it is only flour, sugar, and eggs and "anyone" can squirt frosting on it. icon_lol.gif

I cannot believe anyone has enough guts to pay that kind of money per plate for dinner and then want someone to bake a cake for practically nothing. Like I said before, "It takes all kinds."

Diane icon_biggrin.gif

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:58am
post #53 of 194
Quote:
Quote:

Is anyone else having a hard time swallowing this one? Oh my gosh, I feel really rednecked now. icon_surprised.gif I can't even bring myself to treat hubby and I to an expensive restaurant for this. icon_rolleyes.gif Mind you I would love to, but just - CAN'T - justify it. I always think about $80 for only 2 people to eat off of. We could go get a burger and fries along with a trip to dairy queen and still have $70 left over, LOL.

Ok, you may bring on the redneck jokes now, lol.

Jenn123 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 12:42pm
post #54 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella

Ok, you may bring on the redneck jokes now, lol.

You can include me in that too! icon_smile.gif Yee Hah icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lionladydi Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:21pm
post #55 of 194

Although I have always wondered what it would have been like to have a big fancy wedding, I would never pay out that kind of money. From what I have seen in my life, we should work more on the marriage and less on impressing people with the wedding. Call me a Redneck also if that's what I am for feeling this way.

Still can hardly wait to see how she impresses people with her cake.

Diane icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:30pm
post #56 of 194

Everemton

I'd love to see the picture of the cake she wants for $300.00 then see the one she really gets most people that are like that don't really cook are bake so they don't know what really goes into something like this

Molly

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:34pm
post #57 of 194

450 is a lot of people, but $34/per person is quite reasonable, especially if that includes beverage service

but the cake should easily be $5/serving.

lionladydi Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:39pm
post #58 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

450 is a lot of people, but $34/per person is quite reasonable, especially if that includes beverage service

but the cake should easily be $5/serving.

It might be quite reasonable in the rest of the world but not even thinkable in my world. I think of what I could do with that money.............That would go pretty far at the food pantry where I volunteer.

If a person can afford it, I guess it's great but like I have always said, it doesn't make the marriage work any better.

Diane

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:48pm
post #59 of 194

I think when this lady starts going to other cake bakers and designers and they start quoting her on wedding cakes, she'd be lucky to get a cake at 1.50/slice, which would run her around 700.00. And it certainly wouldn't be a home-baked cake like you'd make for her. In fact, she'd be lucky if she gets it for under 1000.00. I know that is what I'd charge her. She's in for a very rude awakening. You've got to send spies out there to see what she ended up with, and then tell us!! I'm dying to know!!

Jenn123 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:55pm
post #60 of 194

Yes, she will be lucky to get it for under $1000.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%