What Is The Difference Between All Of These?

Decorating By rudoo Updated 20 May 2005 , 2:35pm by SquirrellyCakes

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 20 May 2005 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

Hi I am finally going to ask...what is the difference between sugar flowers, gumpaste, chocolate clay? I keep thinking of sugar flowers like loose sugar made solid (like an Easter sugar egg?) I know I'm probably all mixed up! icon_eek.gif Maybe someone can explain what each of these are like. Thanks

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 May 2005 , 4:02am
post #2 of 4

Well sugar flowers usually refers to either flowers made from fondant or from gumpaste. Gumpaste is basically fondant with a hardening agent added to it to make the flowers dry really hard and last indefinitely. Fondant flowers will not get as hard, but they will get crunchy. Though they are both technically edible, it is usually not recommended to eat the ones that have the hardening agent added, the gumpaste ones. Sometimes the term sugarpaste is also used to mean gumpaste and sometimes to mean fondant.
Sugar flowers can also be the term used to describe blown sugar or pulled sugar flowers, but that is a diiferent method. Basically these have the appearance of clear but coloured candy, like suckers that have been stretched or ribbon candy.
Chocolate clay refers to a mixture of clear corn syrup usually Karo syrup that is added to candy melts or chocolate melts or tempered chocolate. It tastes really good and looks similar to fondant and can be pretty much handled like fondant, and rolled out and such.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 20 May 2005 , 10:46am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much Squirrelly Cakes!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 May 2005 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 4

Hi there. You are very welcome. It does get confusing because there are so many terms.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%