Stop Save

Lounge By alibugs Updated 29 May 2007 , 10:54pm by JodieF

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 66

OMG! It is so annoying. We have to surf through so many. Just push watched topics. I don't know why this trend started, but we can stop now.

65 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 66

why? if it helps someone search for something they want to reference later on, what's the big deal?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

why? if it helps someone search for something they want to reference later on, what's the big deal?

because:

1) using "Watch Topic" FAR more efficient --- do you see the "Watched Topics" choice in the gray menu bar up top? One click on it will bring up a complete list of every topic you've clicked to watch -- no need to do a search.

not to mention ONE click on "Watch topic" vs. 4 keystrokes and then a click is also less work and use of energy -- as in the lazy way out!

2) it's ANNOYING -- and therefor rude -- and is in the same league as "BUMP" which Jackie & Heath have clearly said to stop doing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

ditto. icon_confused.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 66

ok, dougs answer DOES make sense, but only now that the easier,proper way to do it has been explained. i didnt know that before because i guess i dont study every page and all its links...so, unfortunately, i think that there will always be people on here, new or not, that dont know all the ins' and outs of cc.

anyhoo...i have done it before, not often, but on occasion. now that i know, i will simply do the watch topic!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 66

FYI- Jackie's responses to bump and save in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2822433-.html#2822433

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 66

what does bump mean anyways? i always save to watched topics... it is so much more efficent i agree 100%

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 66

when people are watching a topic, like I do often... you get an email stating there is a new reply.. so you come on thinking there is some great new info for you to read and instead the only reply is SAVE. that is what is frustrating about it for me anyway.....it is a waste of time for everyone but the person who posted it.
and with watch topic at the bottom, which serves the same purpose SAVE is definitely not necessary.

thanks for posting this alibugs!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 66

I have clicked in "watch this topic for replies" and most of the times I loose contact with the topic, maybe because it has ended or because I don't get a reply.
Anyway, I'll continue clicking "watch this topic if "save" annoys or is considered rude.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 66

When this topic was started, I hit watch topic to see the replies. I only knew about the watch topic from other message boards that I have been on...

Jen

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibugs

OMG! It is so annoying. We have to surf through so many. Just push watched topics. I don't know why this trend started, but we can stop now.

Ditto.

Save is far worse than bump, IMHO. At least bump will bring a topic with no replies up to the top so if missed it can be answered.

Save just clutters the topic with one-word posts that have to be scrolled through in order to read what someone is actually trying to say.

I believe it is inconsiderate to make everyone scroll through pages of save. Personally, if I see save too many times, i just exit from the topic.
Therefore, you might be missing out on fantastic words of wisdom I would have imparted that you REALLY would have wanted to save, LOL icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 66

OMG! I am so glad some finally brought this up! I just dont understand the purpose of it since there was the watch topic tab below. If I want to save some thread for awhile, I will just save a link and add it to my favorites. I didnt have the guts to bring it up because I didnt want to stir up any drama LOL! icon_lol.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 66

Thank you Doug and Scoobam and especially to Alibugs for posting this.

I can understand the desire to want to just search the topics you posted in and if that's the case (and you don't mind typing out more than 4 letters) - typing something that may add to the conversation or maybe just say "thanks for sharing this" is a bit better.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:17pm
post #14 of 66

wow, although all of these posts are completely valid, and i now AGREE, i am offended to an extent not just myself but for others who obviously arent posting because they may be afraid of standing up for fear of being knocked down - because i dont think alot of "new" people or otherwise, KNOW the proper way to watch a topic. so all of these blunt comments seem pretty insensitive. it is good to come out and state the facts, but a bit less on the !!! side.

with that said- i WILL press the watch topic rather than save- i rarely did it before, but well, lets just say...point taken. icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:44am
post #15 of 66

I type save instead of watch topic because I HATE to get all the emails from watching a topic! I may not care to see every reply to a topic, but do like to have an easy reference to find an idea that I want to save. I hate all athe junk email from watching it! If there were an option to watch without receiving wmail notifications, then I would watch. DH also gets annoyed to come check the email, and there are 50 watched topic replies.

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I type save instead of watch topic because I AHTE to get all the emails from watching a topic! I may not care to see every reply to a topic, but do like to have an easy reference to find an idea that I want to save. I hate all athe junk email from watching it! If there were an option to watch without receiving wmail notifications, then I would watch. DH also gets annoyed to come check the email, and there are 50 watched topic replies.

isn't a thread you post to automatically added to watched topics anyway? it is for me.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #17 of 66

Jen1977 - do you have "always notify me of replies" marked Yes in your "My Forum Info" section?

I had to turn that off too.

jen1977 Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Jen1977 - do you have "always notify me of replies" marked Yes in your "My Forum Info" section?

Mine has always been set to no, and I've always gotten emails if a watched topic is replied to. I just tried in in the lounge, and sure enough, got an email!

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:22am
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

wow, although all of these posts are completely valid, and i now AGREE, i am offended to an extent not just myself but for others who obviously arent posting because they may be afraid of standing up for fear of being knocked down - because i dont think alot of "new" people or otherwise, KNOW the proper way to watch a topic. so all of these blunt comments seem pretty insensitive. it is good to come out and state the facts, but a bit less on the !!! side.

with that said- i WILL press the watch topic rather than save- i rarely did it before, but well, lets just say...point taken. icon_smile.gif

I agree with being more sensitive. In the past couple of days several people have been jumped on for doing things incorrectly. Apparently I have done it in a different forum. It is usually not for lack of goodwill but just lack of knowledge. I would love it if everyone would consider that newer member don't always understand or remember what is proper protocol. Internet messages can be read so wrong sometimes and I am sure noone means to hurt feelings, but we are all new at some point. Be patient and gentle with us, so that we have the chance to learn from you. We are visiting here because we admire your work and would never mean to offend you.

Also, I will try to remember to not "save" but it is so much easier than receiving emails. Thanks for pointing out that it is bothering some.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:32am
post #20 of 66

I agree that the "save" thing is annoying. I wonder how it got to this forum; I belong to other forums and they use it there, and then I came on here and I guess now it's caught on.

If you ever just want to go to a topic where you recently posted and don't want all those "junk" e-mails, just go to "My forum posts" and check it out-- that's what I do and it works out fine.

jen1977 Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:46am
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

If you ever just want to go to a topic where you recently posted and don't want all those "junk" e-mails, just go to "My forum posts" and check it out-- that's what I do and it works out fine.

See, that's the thing. Some people may not have something to contribute to the thread, but want to be able to check their "My Forum Posts" instead of getting the emails. There is ALWAYS something that will get on SOMEONES nerves, especially when their is a comminuty as large as this one. I just think some people like to be rude, and that is way more annoying than someone typing SAVE.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:29am
post #22 of 66

It just started coming up a couple months ago. So it was actually the newbies (Not being rude to the newbies) I really don't even mind, "Thank you".
There are comments out there requesting people to stop saving, so I figured people knew that it bothered others
The person commenting, I hate getting messages sent to my email because it waste my time. I now ask you, Is our time not valuable?

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:39am
post #23 of 66

icon_surprised.gif hmmm

well I have never considered an email from CC as unwanted or junk!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:56am
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

Quote:

Ditto.

Save is far worse than bump, IMHO. At least bump will bring a topic with no replies up to the top so if missed it can be answered.

Save just clutters the topic with one-word posts that have to be scrolled through in order to read what someone is actually trying to say.

I don't feel we're jumping on newbies. But observation (by newbies) of other posts would indicate that "save" is not something done by most CC members.

Bringing this matter up for correction is not a condemnation - just a request to please cease and desist.

I make a real effort to answer any post on a subject that I have some familiarity with (or I'll do research), to try to point the member in the right direction - especially where "newbies" are concerned. I know I'm not alone in making it a point to help newbies feel welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

But I also feel "save" is rude because it is OT (off topic) and contributes nothing of value to the thread. And as alibugs says - if there are too many it can be off putting and kill a thread. icon_sad.gif

Even saying "thanks" or "great info" would contribute something to the thread. icon_smile.gif

If you don't want to receive numerous (annoying) watched topic emails, please understand that we don't want to wade through "save" posts for the same reasons. icon_cry.gif

If you want to keep up with topics of interest - print out (or write down) any post from 1st page of that thread to capture the topic number (in url). (Topic address will also print out on bottom of printed sheet.)
(This topic # is 295773.) Then you can always refer back to any thread you want. thumbs_up.gif

To me "save" feels like a "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am." tapedshut.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

(Sorry for all the typos, I edited them out.)

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:26am
post #25 of 66

You are such a good speaker Jan. thumbs_up.gif As to Jen1977's post about "some people just like to be rude", that may be true but I'm hoping I didn't come off as that way, as I did not intend nor do I pretend to have wanted to do so. thumbs_up.gif If it wasn't me to whom you were referring, then sorry I even brought it up and disregard the previous statements.

NickyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickyA Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:45pm
post #26 of 66

As i Newbie - thank you for this post - I had no idea and am one of the "Save" culprits - I had read a post somewhere and seen other doing it so I never thought otherwise.
Maybe there should be a Welcome to CC for Newbies icon_smile.gif
Thanks and I promise ... no more "save" replies

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:50pm
post #27 of 66

"save" is annoying...but not nearly as much as "bump".

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:08pm
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Mine has always been set to no, and I've always gotten emails if a watched topic is replied to. I just tried in in the lounge, and sure enough, got an email!

Mine is set to YES, but I will only get one notification of replies until I go to the thread. I dont get an email each time someone replies to it. Does that make sense? For me the watched topic works the same way as when i reply to a message.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:00pm
post #29 of 66
Quote:

It just started coming up a couple months ago. So it was actually the newbies (Not being rude to the newbies) I really don't even mind, "Thank you".
There are comments out there requesting people to stop saving, so I figured people knew that it bothered others
The person commenting, I hate getting messages sent to my email because it waste my time. I now ask you, Is our time not valuable?

It took me a couple minute the first time I saw it to realise what it was, it's recent or I would have noticed a long time ago.
I don't mind the notifications, if I don't want to look at the post again I just delete them and I won't get anymore.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:51am
post #30 of 66

Wow, I didn't realize this was such an annoyance for so many. I guess I'm not that easily annoyed. I admit that I've submitted both "save" & "bump". I didn't realize that there was a "watched topic" button until recently. I realize that submitting either of these two words are not contributing to the thread, but if it helps someone out, who cares? I'm sure that a lot of people that are doing it do not know it bothers people & may be ignorant of the "proper" way of posting. How long does is take to scroll down to read the entire thread? It can be very discouraging to really need help & not receive any feedback, so if you can't "bump", what do you propose that people do? Would it be better to re-post the question? Sorry if I've offended anyone, but PLEASE. If this is all we have to worry/complain about, then I think that we're all doing pretty good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%