Ok Mom's..... Need Some "touchy" Advice..kinda Lon

Lounge By cookinnut Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 8:53pm by karensjustdessert

cookinnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinnut Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:15am
post #1 of 26

Need a little help here, my friend has nearly 2 yr old twins, boy and girl, and she's having quite the problem with the girl. About a month ago she walked in on mom using the bathroom, right as she was inserting a tampon. Now the girl keeps trying to do the same thing to herself, using various objects, toys, cups, bottles, etc... and she can't get her to stop. She's NOT hurting herself and she's NOT naked when she's doing this, she's still in her diaper. I told her to try to not to make a huge screaming deal out of it as her daughter is quite the attention seeker, but to CALMLY take the object away and explain to her that her pee pee (vagina, wee wee or whatever she calls it) is special and she isn't allowed to do that to it or to touch it with things. That seemed to work on my 2 yr old when she "discovered" herself. Any suggestions?

25 replies
i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:23am
post #2 of 26

In my experience with my girls, it's just a phase. She'll find something more interesting soon enough. She must have discovered it gets her mom's attention.

This reminds me...one of my girls saw me in the bathroom with a tampon when she was about that same age. A few days later she asked if I was going to have another baby, and I said no, and she said, "That's right. You're using those mommy things to plug it up so the baby can't get out." It was so hard not to laugh out loud.

But seriously, it soon passed and she was on to something bigger and better icon_smile.gif

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:32am
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_icing

This reminds me...one of my girls saw me in the bathroom with a tampon when she was about that same age. A few days later she asked if I was going to have another baby, and I said no, and she said, "That's right. You're using those mommy things to plug it up so the baby can't get out." It was so hard not to laugh out loud.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif that is sooo funny!!!

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:21am
post #4 of 26

And I thought having a boy was difficult.

cookinnut Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:29am
post #5 of 26

i_love_icing.....plugged it up???? Thats hilarious!! I told her she'd probably outgrow it soon too.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:02am
post #6 of 26

That is so funny icon_lol.gif plug it up...no baby icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

On the serious side, she has discovered something new and will continue to do this until something else grabs her attention.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:59am
post #7 of 26

She said vagina...

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:10am
post #8 of 26

Heehee...

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I have three daughters (and one son), and it is about this age that they discover that they can make their bodies feel good. If they are doing it in an inappropriate place (ie, in front of other people) I try to either distract them or calmly tell them, "That feels good, huh? But your ____ is private; can you go in your room?"

Incidentally, I am into teaching them correct terms...my 3 year old couldn't say "labia" at first and pronounced it "Ladybug". That term has remained...it cracks me up. She calls the boy part a "peanut"...close enough! My folks were over last month, and she came running out with her new bikini..."LOOK!", she tells them, "THIS part covers your boobies, and THIS part covers your labia"! I about died laughing...so did they!

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylightsky

And I thought having a boy was difficult.

Me too cause mine walked in on me and then asked why I was sticking that up my butt. I almost fell on the floor.......lol.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 26

Thank god for locks!
And thankfully my little boy never walked in on me when I was doing feminine things! icon_redface.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 26

When I was really little, I remember by little brother and I finding the applicators in the bathroom garbage can. We thought they looked like syringes, so we spent a while playing doctor-giving each other shots in the arms with them. Until my mother found us and was mortified! We looked for those "shot things" almost everyday after that for awile, but they were never in there again. (I know- GROSS!, sorry!)

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 26

It will pass. Once she realized she was getting mom's attention with this, she probably found more reason to continue with it. I agree that it's nothing to worry about. This almost happened to me with my own daughter recently.

The biggest concern I'd have is people assuming her behavior had something to do with having been molested. Children act things out and sometimes well intentioned adults think they've connected the dots so to speak, so I'd just maybe keep her home until the behavior passes.

Tell her not to worry too much! icon_wink.gif

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 26

Oh my GOSH! I was laughing so much when I read some of these!! My husband - regrets he even told me - but when he was little, his brother and he found a box of his mom's tampons in the bathroom and went through the entire box trying to light off the "firecrackers" in the yard before deciding they were duds.

Oh the age of discovery and exploration- that's really all it is I think.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 26

I am cracking up at some of these stories!! It is all innocent discovery but it can be so funny at times.

LOL@ duds!

This reminds me of my youngest sister when she was about 4-5. My mom caught her with a pantyliner on and my mom asked what in the world she was doing with that or what she thought it was for. She said "to keep your panties out of your butt." icon_lol.gif

We still tease her about that one.

Dale Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 26

Tampon talk on Cake Central...

I got nothin'...

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 26

My dh would kill me if he knew I was telling this, but he got a bad bloody nose once and walked out of the bathroom with a tampon hanging out of his nose. I lost it!

Dale Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:48am
post #17 of 26

Great for bloody noses. When you go to the doc and get one shoved up your nose, they charge you $150 for it and call it a "Nasal Rocket."

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:14pm
post #18 of 26

OMG this is so funny!!! Thanks for the giggle.

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 26

My mom told me that one time she walked in on me sticking her sanitary napkins to the wall of the bathroom (when I was much younger than I am now of course). She took them from me and explained to me that they were sanitary napkins and were only for "special occasions". So come next Thanksgiving guess what was beside everyone's dinner plate!! I don't remember doing this so who's to say it's true. icon_confused.gif

(Actually I'm sure it is true.) icon_redface.gif

bakingupastorm

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 12:20am
post #20 of 26

LMAO at some of these stories!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 5:15am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingupastorm

My mom told me that one time she walked in on me sticking her sanitary napkins to the wall of the bathroom (when I was much younger than I am now of course). She took them from me and explained to me that they were sanitary napkins and were only for "special occasions". So come next Thanksgiving guess what was beside everyone's dinner plate!! I don't remember doing this so who's to say it's true. icon_confused.gif

(Actually I'm sure it is true.) icon_redface.gif

bakingupastorm

i like this one the most---but they are all so veryImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:19pm
post #22 of 26

My daughter was in the bathroom with me at a gas station and I was changing tampons. She asked, "When I start my period, then can I wear makeup?" She was about 7. Needless to say, when the day finally happened, I said nothing to my better half but, "Well, she can start wearing makeup," and he knew what had happened. We had alot of laughs over her wearing makeup.

My granddaughter started for the first time while they were on vacation last week. She wore a pad for 30 minutes and asked if she could take it off now. I told my daughter she should have told her, "Not for the next 30-40 years." She finds it all very disgusting as she couldn't go swimming on vacation.

Kids see and realize so much more than we think. I agree that as soon as something new gets her attention, this phase will be over.

diane

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:28pm
post #23 of 26

When I worked at the daycare this is the age that I taught. This is the age for discovery and this is something that she has discovered. How mom handles this will play an important role later on about how she responds to certain things. What I was taught in the classes that we had to go through was to redirect and explain that mommies have to do this when we become mommies. Then tell her that she can't do that yet because she could get a big ____(whatever you use for sore ie. owie, booboo whatever). Don't worry too much about someone thinking molestation because if they have ever been around kids this age, they know that this isn't a good way to tell. They mainly use behavor, repeated actions like role playing improper situations, and signs of physical abuse such as bruising. If mom makes a big deal, it will last longer. It will pass until she discovers another hole to put things in like her ears or nose, then the fun really starts.

cookinnut Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:09pm
post #24 of 26

Well, I told my friend that I had posted her predicament and she said OH NOOO, then I told her a couple of the stories, she of course is now very glad her daughter's not trying to serve them up at the dinner table. Those are great stories, it reminds me of when my little sister discovered them around 4-5 and decided they were really neat cigarettes and was constantly trying to smoke them (not lit of course-phew!). Or when my other sister handed them out after dinner one night as "dental floss". Personally, I wouldn't recomend them for either use!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:19pm
post #25 of 26

Oh my god..this made me laugh and then it made me remember a disgusting joke regarding "jelly filled doughnuts"...maybe not appropriate to tell here unless someone REALLY wants to know the joke, then PM me for me to tell you it...but you have to promise NOT to be offended.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:53pm
post #26 of 26

My son loves stickers, and he discovered the maxi pads one day. Do the math....he covered himself with them. At least his excuse is, he's only 4.
My husband just about peed his pants with laughter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%