I Have Some Questions Regarding....

Decorating By lipbalmcollector Updated 19 May 2007 , 5:13pm by tcturtleshell

lipbalmcollector Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lipbalmcollector Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 13

I am most likely going to be making a graduation cake similar to one found here that has 3 cakes stacked on it. I haven't used fondant,gumpaste or chocolate transfers before etc.

Also where can I find here information on candy melts? Is there really a right or wrong way to make accents for cakes? I'm afraid I'll mess up.

If the cake has stripes/circles etc made out of fondant will it stick to buttercream? do I need to use something to get them to stick together?
If the cake is covered in fondant will the fondant accents stick to fondant?

Also how do I know when to use gumpaste or fondant while making cakes.? I just heard on diy that gumpaste hardens,does fondant too?

here is a picture of one of the cake ideas I might do..
LL

12 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 13

Wowo you have room for 6 dierent threads on this post alone, I will try to answer some fo your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Fondant will stick to fondant brush a little vanilla extract to your shpaes and stick on fondant let it dry should be fine.
Fondant will also stick to buttercream.
Fondant will harden also not as much as gumpaste

on the search bar type chocolate transfers and you should find tons of threads on the subject.

I do suggest one thing coming from an inexperienced baker do not try too many new things on one cake alone too many things can go wrong , if you try one new thing and doesn't go well no biggie you won't ruin the whole. I know from personal experince and from many threads here from ladies that regretted doing the same thing. Good Luck with your cake don't forget to post the picture.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 13

Lightly brush your accents with a bit of water..they will stick to fondant and buttercream.

Experiment with different mediums..gumpaste..fondant..etc. See what works best for you and what you can work with easily.

The best thing to do is practice...see what works and what doesn't.

I've made hundreds of "practice" cakes..tried different things..combos..fillings..buttercreams..etc. Getting advice is fine but you are the one that is going have to work with whatever medium you choose..you won't know what your techniques will be unless you do them yourself.

lipbalmcollector Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 13

thank you very much for your thoughts on it.

Based on the picture of the cake I have posted would you say fondant would be best for it?

I forgot to add, I have made several cakes before(my daughters birthdays) but I have never used different mediums.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 13

I would use fondant for all the accents personally. Sticks nice on BC. Don't let it harden all the way, just let it stiffen a bit so it doesnt stretch when you pick up the pieces to put on=) Ohh, and here is a link to a chocolate transfer tutorial done by a CC member, cali4dawn=) HTH some, Jen

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/111071540UEhrpE?start=12

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 13

Gosh, that's great advice icingandsprinkles & IHATEFONDANT.

I use piping gel to glue fondant pieces on bci & fondant. That's just me. icon_wink.gif I also use bci. It works pretty good too. On this cake I would do fondant pieces not gumpaste. Gumpaste is more for flowers & pieces like figures & furniture etc. This is a fun looking cake to do! I'd use fondant to make the top of the cap, just cover a square cake board w/ fondant. Waalaa~

Where were you planning on using candy melts? My advice would be just to use bci & fondant. icon_smile.gif I'd ice it in bci & use fondant for the pieces thumbs_up.gif Just remember to cover your fondant pieces w/ tinfoil or saran wrap. They dry out fast. I always use a ziplock bag. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

lipbalmcollector Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 13

thanks NewbeeBaker. I will have to figure out what recipe to make then.

tcturtleshell-about the candy melts I was just curious about it. I am not personally going to use it on this cake but I see it quite often as I am looking at cakes here. And thought I would ask about it.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 May 2007 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalmcollector

thank you very much for your thoughts on it.

Based on the picture of the cake I have posted would you say fondant would be best for it?

I forgot to add, I have made several cakes before(my daughters birthdays) but I have never used different mediums.

I would use fondant for the accents on the sides of the cake. The mortar board should be a piece of cardboard covered with fondant or a 50/50 combo. Just make sure you bring the fondant far enough around the bottom to hide the board. Just figure how much of it will be covered by your top tier and then cover the rest. The tassle, fondant, softened with a small bit of shortening and then put through a clay gun.

tcturtleshell Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 13

Where do you get the clay guns? That's what I've been looking for. I don't even know where to start. icon_smile.gif

NickyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickyA Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 13

I am going to BUMP this question - I looked for a clay gun too but only found a really small one at Michaels. Is this waht everyone is using? For some reason, I thought it was bigger?

Thanks

mommacat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacat5 Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 13

There is a great site that has a really cool clay gun sugarcraft.com...it is called the sugarcaft gun klay press. My friend has one it works really well.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 13

My gun is the smaller one..it has alot of different discs for different shapes..just remember to put a bit of shortening in your fondant or gumpaste before you use the gun. You will kill yourself trying to squeeze it out of there if you don't. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've seen bigger ones...but haven't used one...I did see something on Earlenes site once..a stand that her husband makes..you put a bigger gun in it and you can make a very long strip..she used it to make braids to go around cakes. You might want to take a look.

tcturtleshell Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 13

Cool Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%