Strawberry Pie Filling As Cake Filling.....

Decorating By dulcero Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 1:23pm by savannahquinn

dulcero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcero Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:31am
post #1 of 14

Do you think this will work?

I'm thinking of using the Comstarch brand, it tastes ok to me. I would prefer to use real strawberries but there aren't any available here.

I'm thinking of making a white cake or buttercake, fill it with the strawberry pie filling and frost with BC.

Need your expert opinions, what do you think? Any ideas on how to make it better?

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:13am
post #2 of 14

I find that the pie filling is a lot of cornstarch thickening, and not much fruit. I would use a good quality jam or preserves for the filling.

You could make your own 'freezer jam' using frozen berries. It has the very best fruit flavors.

dulcero Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks JoAnnB!

Now that I think of it, though, does anybody have a suggestion for a good filling? This cake is for about 30 people. It will be a mix of adults and kids. Last week, same group of people, I made a chocolate cake. Though they loved it, I really do not want to make it again. I want to try something else.

So, any suggestions for tried and tested fillings?
What about frostings? It shouldn't be too sweet because of the adults (we're talking 50s and above here). But I want something that kids will enjoy, too.

Please, please help me! This cake is for this coming Tuesday. I have not done anything like this before so I really need your opinion icon_smile.gif

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 14

I use the Comstock brand of fruit fillings, and they are all pretty tasty. I've used them to fill cakes and to top cheesecakes (never, surprisingly, to fill a pie tho icon_rolleyes.gif ). The strawberry variety does seem to be more gel than berry, so I usually open two cans, lift the strawberries out of the gel with a large fork or slotted spoon, and get a nice filling of gooey strawberries with a little gel stuck to them. For my Mothers Day cake this year, I threw a can of the strawberry into the blender with 2 big blobs of the cream cheese frosting to make a thick, yummy cake filling, tasted like strawberry cheesecake.

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 14

I like to add whip up some whipped cream and then fold pie filling in. It isn't too sweet, it has the ncie fruit flavor, and people really like the light texture of it.

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 14

I saw somewhere on here that someone said that mixing preserves with BC makes a really yummy filling but I haven't tried it yet. I have mixed pudding with fruit and that was delcious!!

I usually put a little lemon extract in my buttercream to take a little sweetness out. so, for example, if I need 2 tsp flavor I will use 1/4 tsp of lemon extract, 11/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp of almond. It came out really good and everyone loved it and said it was not too sweet at all.
if you want a good cake recipe try the WASC from this site....so good!!

hth!!

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 14

I sometimes make a strawberry cake and use strawberry preserves as a filling. Everyone who has had it loves it. I also had a request for something like a strawberry shortcake. I used a white cake and for filling I used the strawberry gel and fresh strawberries with whipped icing. Also a big hit. I am sure you could use frozen strawberries too.

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 14

I always use strawberry preserve with that stuff they sell for strawberry short cake. that really taste yummy.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 14

I've used cherry pie filling for my black forest cake and it was yummy. And the blueberry pie filling is fantastic with a lemon flavoured cake. Or you can do vanilla cake with blueberry filling and lemon extract in the b/c I've done that for my mom and I love the taste of blueberry and lemon together.

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 18 May 2007 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 14

No cooking needed? I just open the can and use it in the cake?
I've never tried mixing it with BC, I'm kinda scared to.

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 18 May 2007 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue0877

I saw somewhere on here that someone said that mixing preserves with BC makes a really yummy filling but I haven't tried it yet.

it does! light, but still has the fruity flavor u're after

dulcero Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 14

You guys are geniuses!! Thank you for all the tips! icon_smile.gif

kdturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdturner Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:58am
post #13 of 14

A

Original message sent by MiaT

I use the Comstock brand of fruit fillings, and they are all pretty tasty. I've used them to fill cakes and to top cheesecakes (never, surprisingly, to fill a pie tho [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif[/IMG] ). The strawberry variety does seem to be more gel than berry, so I usually open two cans, lift the strawberries out of the gel with a large fork or slotted spoon, and get a nice filling of gooey strawberries with a little gel stuck to them. For my Mothers Day cake this year, I threw a can of the strawberry into the blender with 2 big blobs of the cream cheese frosting to make a thick, yummy cake filling, tasted like strawberry cheesecake.

Thanks for the tips...I will be doing this tomorrow!!!

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 14

I have used the filling in buttercream.  I used Raspberry because it has less seeds then fresh berries.  I throw it into buttercream with a some cream cheese. I loved and I don't even love raspberries! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%