Fabulous Finds! Please Share!

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm by subaru

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:08pm
post #31 of 52

jlewis - I don't have one but here is alink to a page that sells mats.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/impression-mats/impression-mats.htm (NEAR THE BOTTOM SCROLL DOWN)

as far as the icing you can use the icer tip or just the biggest tip you have. Pipe around and around and then smooth with a spatula or putty knife.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #32 of 52

Hello,
The best yard sale finds were a whole set of plate separators with pillars for seven dollars, and a bear cake pan with matching smash cake pan for a quarter!

marthajo1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:27pm
post #33 of 52

Halstead- does jiffy make mixes other then cornbread?? icon_lol.gif I thought they just had cornbread!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:42pm
post #34 of 52

Jiffy has a lot of different mixes. I have used their muffin mixes, but they also have cake type mixes too. I like that they are super cheap! icon_biggrin.gif

marthajo1 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #35 of 52

Okay I know this is a super duper old thread but I found the most awesome deal today!!!

Cake pans (mostly Magic Line but a some Wilton), a bunch of books, a fountain, a bunch of other stuff, and oh yeah..... an opaque projector and a KopyKake airbrush!! Woohoo!!

I am so excited!
LL

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:50pm
post #36 of 52

ya gotta tell - how much did it set ya back? I went to an estate sale years ago and came out like a bandit. Chafing dishes, copper cookware, you name it... pennies on the dollar. If I hadn't had to transport my other friends' finds I woulda picked up so much more than I did. Now that I think of it, it's been ages since I've gone to a estate/yard sale. Might have to put that on the list for next summer icon_smile.gif It's alot of fun with a couple gal pals!

marthajo1 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #37 of 52

$160.00 and I felt guilty! The biggest pan is a 16" round and the largest rectangle is full sheet I think. There are about 20 different pans!

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:42am
post #38 of 52

Wow. now that's a deal and a half...

Best deal I got was when I was visiting friends in Folsom in May.. got a bunch of the cake doctor books and 7 old wilton character pans for under $10.00

PixieDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PixieDiva Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:10am
post #39 of 52

MarthaJo - I have that same cake tip and I have never used it because I don't have a clue what to use it for!

I got 2 cake stands from a thrift store a few months ago... One was a vintage white marble top with heavy duty metal base that is sort of goldish copper color, with intricate detail. The other is sterling silver. I paid $5 total. icon_biggrin.gif

I got a solid green marble serving tray with stainless steel handles & matching turntable from my neighbor's garage sale for $5. She said she didn't know what the turntable was and had never used it. LOL.

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #40 of 52

I am the garage sale queen! Or so my kids call me icon_smile.gif Anyways I also have started going to the local thrift store and recently found a cast iron gingerbread cookie mold. Two different styles of house! I was so excited! At one garage sale I found sealed mini heart, mini lamb and mini egg pans. Got those for $4!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:55am
post #41 of 52

The best deal I've gotten was a Magic Line 9x13" pan for $.79 at a thrift store!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:19am
post #42 of 52

Wow I am impressed! I love thrift shops & rummage sales but rarely go because I don't want to drag my kids with me lol. You are making me want to go though. Keep posting your finds, I love seeing/hearing about them icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:36am
post #43 of 52

I guess I'm going to have to start thrift and garage sale shopping. icon_sad.gif

I would probably look for years and not find the deals you all have though!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:01pm
post #44 of 52

Martha that tip looks like a frill tip that came with about 7 other tips I have so I think maybe could be used for a ruffle type deal icon_smile.gif

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:42pm
post #45 of 52

I love finding bargains of second hand stuff.
I recently found a butcher block on Craigslist for $150. It has become a stand for my KitchenAid. I still need to refinish it but I love it!
It's the perfect height for me to use my KitchenAid.
LL

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #46 of 52

Best deal I ever got was a KA stand mixer from the 1930's for $6.00 at a yard sale last spring.
Sadly, it is no longer with me icon_sad.gif

But for the short time it was with me I LOVED having a stand mixer!

Chrisy

marthajo1 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:57am
post #47 of 52

That is a cool stand! What size is it? (on top).

I got a whole bunch of tips in that big lot! My DH-- "now don't go whipping up frosting to try all those out!!" ~ he had just finished cleaning the kitchen! icon_lol.gif

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #48 of 52

Wow! What incredible deals. Marthajo1, I need to come yard sale with you some time. I live in KY and the 127 Yard Sale runs through it. Last year we travelled 1/2 of the yard sale route and I found nothing! I was so disappointed.

I have only been decorating for a few years. The year that I began, my mom went to a yard sale and got 10 Wilton character pans with inserts, 16 of the Wilton single serve pans (mostly Christmas), case of tips, cake toppers, wooden cake drum, and several wedding separators for $20.00. That is the best deal on a lot that I have found. I always say that I have a good yard sale day if I bring home new cake supplies!

Keep posting! I love hearing about everyone's deals. I love the pictures too. I noticed the one post had the Better Home's and Garden's wrought iron set. Mine are still brand new in the bag and I never thought of using them for a cake/cupcake stand. Thanks for the idea.

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

That is a cool stand! What size is it? (on top).

Are you referring to my butcher block? If so, it's about 22"x22". I just love it!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Here are today's finds! What do I do with that pan?? Any ideas? not bad for 60 cents for both things!! I can always use more measuring spoons!

Betty Crocker used to have a mix specifically for that pan. It was a cake on the bottom, and a filling that went in to the well part on the top.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:52pm
post #51 of 52

Okay, here's my best find. My friend heard about a yard sale with Wilton pans, so we went. The lady was getting out of the decorating business altogether, so we took all she had. There were 29 different pans, a huge stack of Wilton yearbooks (probably 15-20), all her tips, toolbox, bags, easy bake strips, color jels, everything for $50! The coolest part is that my friend wouldn't let me pay for it and she bought it all for me as a gift!!! What a blessing it was to me!!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #52 of 52

I guess one of my best deals from a yard sale was a Kitchen Aid hand held 6 speed mixer. Brand New still in the unopened box. $5.00! I could not believe it. I use it all the time for my cookies, mashed potatoes,or anything I don't want to drag out my big KA for. I LOVE yard sales, estate sales, thrift shops,etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%