Wilton Cake Decorating Classes

Decorating By mookey Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 4:03am by TexasSugar

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 53

ive seen a bunch of pictures and heard a lot on this site about the wilton cake decorating classes. what exactly are they and how do i find out more about them?(like where would i find a class in my area and how much the course costs? thanks!

52 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 53

WIlton is a company that sells lots of different cake decorating and baking supplies. They also hold cake decorating classes, usually in craft stores, but other places as well. I took mine through the local Adult School. Anyway, I would inquire at your local craft store. You may be able to check the Wilton website and see if they have some kind of a search tool to check for local classes. Its a great way to learn the basics of cake decorating.

good luck,
cindy

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 53

I took them at Michaels arts and crafts, if you have one of those near you I think most of them offer the wilton courses. So do the JoAnn Fabrics stores here in Ohio. You might check around and see if you have any of either of those close to you. The courses aren't expensive, their usually $25 in our locations, and Michaels always offers some kind of special either on the course or the course kit. I got the first course for half off, and the second and third ones I think I paid for the course and got the kits for a penny, you can't beat that!! I think the supplies end up costing more then the course itself icon_biggrin.gif .

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 53

http://www.wilton.com/classes/classlocator.cfm

This link is wilton's website and you can find the class located closest to you. Wilton's standard price per class is $25.00 but some places offer discounts. If I remember correctly the class kits are also $25.00, but again a lot of places have deals where you buy kit and get class free or buy class get kit free. Or the place I took classes we got 15% off of all wilton supplies while the class was going on so most people waited until the first night and used the 15% off for their kit.

HTH

Leily

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 53

We have the basic classes offered at the JoAnn's super store locations, Michael's and The Tall Mouse here. I would love to take some of the more advanced classes now (gum paste flowers, etc) but I can't seem to find those ones. Not sure how to get that as I'm a visual learner and the only place I've found is in San Diego. Which is doable for a one time class, but not for any classes that go on for more than a day.

KellieRSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellieRSM Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 53

Wilton instructors are hit & miss. Some are great...others not so much. If you are really serious, you can try a local cake supply store for their classes. They are usually a step up from Wilton. I'm still learning too...have fun!

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 53

I took all three Wilton courses at Michaels as well. I had a great instructor and am planning to take courses II and III again. I wish they would offer something beyond the basics like gumpaste flowers.

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 53

As a Micheals teacher....i would say..there are some experienced and some less experienced teachers to teach lessons....however, on my end, i find that the more a student practices, the more they are able to get out of the lessons...and the better student they become...practice practice....and as teachers we are very limited to specific lessons and what exactly we can teach...alot of my decorating experience has just come through trial and error....
and..on another note....most of us teachers will be receiving training this summer for gumpaste...would assume we will be able to offer those gumpaste classes in the future...Happy Decorating: icon_lol.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 53

Yes, I took my classes...all 3 of them at Michaels. They had a special and the classes were $7.00 but you will end up purchasing Wilton supplies for your classes. I love my instructior. She's been teaching there for 10 years and works at the Fred Meyer Bakery so she was full of experience and had great short cuts for things. I would highly recommend these classes and I too wish they had some more classes specializing in gumpaste and fondant.

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 53

thanks everybody! i have a michaels and a joanns in my area. i called michaels and plan on taking Wilton course 1 in august! thanks for the advice!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifbirthday.gif

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:35am
post #11 of 53

I looked up in my area and the closest place classes are offered are 4 stores, but they are about 45 miles away. How long are the classes? Do they last a couple of hours? When you say course 1, 2 and 3, does that mean that each course is just one class and it would be a $25 fee plus supplies for that one class or if it is more than one class per course, it would cost $25 for each class. Sorry for so many questions. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for any help.

mcclj9583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcclj9583 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:41am
post #12 of 53

It is 25 for the 4 classes that comprise Course I, then the same for Course II and III. Some months there are discounts - like 1/2 price, etc. - keep in mind that you also have to buy the course kit which varies in price. You can use a coupon for ACMoore, Michaels, etc. in the store for the Course kit but not for the price of the class...other than that you will have to buy a few additional items and bake your cakes prior to class. ...

paxpuella Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:48am
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclj9583

It is 25 for the 4 classes that comprise Course I, then the same for Course II and III. Some months there are discounts - like 1/2 price, etc. - keep in mind that you also have to buy the course kit which varies in price. You can use a coupon for ACMoore, Michaels, etc. in the store for the Course kit but not for the price of the class...other than that you will have to buy a few additional items and bake your cakes prior to class. ...

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, it is only $25 for all four classes in course 1? If so that shouldn't be too bad. Do you remember how much you paid for your course kit? I've heard that some places accept competitor coupons. If so, maybe I could use a 40% coupon from JoAnn's and purchase the course kit at Michael's if that is where I can take the class?

Thanks.

SheilaF Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:50am
post #14 of 53

The classes were several hours long too. well worth the time to go four weeks in a row for one class.

I found an all day class in San Diego to learn how to make gum paste flowers. I feel like a kid waiting for my first day of school. My husband even happily agreed to take all four kids for the day AND get my eldest daughter to her color guard performance that day. I'm counting down the days (and that's about an hour and a half drive for me pending traffic)

egarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egarman Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:51am
post #15 of 53

Paxpuella: where do you live? Could be something closer. Maybe!

Ellen

mcclj9583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcclj9583 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:51am
post #16 of 53

I am actually taking it right now - Course I - i just did a lot of research because I have been wanting to do it for a while - but i am in law school and take evening courses - but in any event - the Course I kit was 14.99 in ACMoore - I am not sure of what it is in Michael's - but I know sometimes they have it that you take the class and get the kit for free - it really depends on the promotion that they are running.

and YES - it is 25 for all 4 classes within each course for Wilton

SheilaF Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:52am
post #17 of 53

cross posted, but JoAnn's and Michaels do accept each others coupons. I found out by accident when I only had a JoAnn's coupon when I was at Michaels and made a comment about how I had the wrong one. Then I asked at JoAnns, and they accept the Michaels coupons for everything except fabric.

paxpuella Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:53am
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclj9583

I am actually taking it right now - Course I - i just did a lot of research because I have been wanting to do it for a while - but i am in law school and take evening courses - but in any event - the Course I kit was 14.99 in ACMoore - I am not sure of what it is in Michael's - but I know sometimes they have it that you take the class and get the kit for free - it really depends on the promotion that they are running.

and YES - it is 25 for all 4 classes within each course for Wilton

Oh my gosh !!! You just made my day !! I was kind of worried it would be extremely expensive. (thinking like $25 for each class and a course kit would be $50-$100) LOL

Guess who's calling Michael's tomorrow? icon_biggrin.gif

THANK YOU !!!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:56am
post #19 of 53

I am an istructor @ my local michaels,so I'll try to answer your questions icon_smile.gif each course consists of 4 classes and the fee 25$(unless there is a promo) includes these 4 classes,so for 25$ you get 4 classes.plus you have to buy your student kits to coordinate with the course you choose,they are 20$ but most likely there will be a promo with the fee/kit combined.each class is 2hrs.i hope I was of some help icon_razz.gif

paxpuella Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:56am
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaF

cross posted, but JoAnn's and Michaels do accept each others coupons. I found out by accident when I only had a JoAnn's coupon when I was at Michaels and made a comment about how I had the wrong one. Then I asked at JoAnns, and they accept the Michaels coupons for everything except fabric.

Thank you. I thought I had read it here on this forum but wasn't sure. Do you know how to receive the Michael's coupons? I know I signed up for the JoAnn's on their website and receive their coupons in the mail.

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:58am
post #21 of 53

I took a Wilton I course (it was more than just one class for the course $ but I can't remember how many classes in total).

Unfortunately I didn't have an experienced instructor. In fact, she was teaching for the second time after just finishing course III! In my opinion, she needed alot more practice before teaching a course! (I also know some very experienced Wilton instructors who do beautiful work!).

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything but, I already knew more than she did about decorating from learning on my own and I found that we had to purchase many more supplies than we really needed. Some of their techniques, like making a rose for instance, require a two-step process using two tips. I've found that I never needed to use the first large round tip to make a base as they teach, I just use the rose tip for the whole thing. Maybe it's a way to get you to purchase more tips???

Don't get me wrong, I was still glad I took the class because I added to my supplies, I got to practice more, and I did learn a few things from the book that I hadn't known before so the classes are worth it....especially if you're just starting out.

I hope you get a fab teacher and learn lots of great tips and how to's!!! I still refer to the book now and then just for the heck of it!
blessings to you,
elly

paxpuella Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:59am
post #22 of 53

nicksmom:

Thank you for posting and you all have been very helpful !!

icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:06am
post #23 of 53

Okay, each course is 4 two hour lessons. The lessons are usually scheduled once a week. And yes it is a one time fee of $25 (or less with promotion) for all 4 classes in the Course.

At Michaels, C1 kit is $20, and the C2 and C3 kits are $25.

July's promotion at Michaels, is by the class for $25 and get the course kit for a penny. August will be 1/2 off (so 12.50 for the class). Sept I believe is Bring a Friend for Free, so it is $25 for two, or must 12.50 for one. October is buy the kit get the class free. Nov and Dec will be half off.

You can use 40% off coupons on the kits but not the classes. Michaels has been putting one in the paper every other week the past few months. You get 10% off class supplies when in the courses. Michaels also does bounce back coupons. If you go straight from a C1 to C2 or a C2 to C3 they give you an addition $5 off the class (except with the buy the kit get the class free promotion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, it is only $25 for all four classes in course 1? If so that shouldn't be too bad. Do you remember how much you paid for your course kit? I've heard that some places accept competitor coupons. If so, maybe I could use a 40% coupon from JoAnn's and purchase the course kit at Michael's if that is where I can take the class?

Thanks.

SheilaF Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:10am
post #24 of 53

I've only ever seen the Michaels coupons in the newspaper. Usually in a colorful flyer in with the coupons on sunday, but occationally, it's in the black and white print section hidden.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:13am
post #25 of 53

Michaels coupons are in the Sunday Ads in the newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella

Thank you. I thought I had read it here on this forum but wasn't sure. Do you know how to receive the Michael's coupons? I know I signed up for the JoAnn's on their website and receive their coupons in the mail.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:12pm
post #26 of 53

You can also sign up on Micheal's website to receive their ads via email. I think the 40% coupons are also in those ads.
Leslie

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:58pm
post #27 of 53

The Michaels ads are only in the Sunday paper every other week too - we also get them in a bag of flyers that is left on the porch the week that they are out.

sarb21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarb21 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 1:18pm
post #28 of 53

I had to pay for each class. They had half off so the price was only $12.50, but I had to pay that 4 times. So the cost of the class was $50.00.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:53pm
post #29 of 53

sarb21 - where did you take your classes?? If it was at Michaels - you need to contact Wilton or the manager of that store....that is NOT how the pricing is at Michaels.

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:00pm
post #30 of 53

Hi,, just joining in cause I too am interested in taking the classes,, I'm from around the Jackson, MS area, I had contacted Michaels and was also told that it would be a $25 registration fee for each class. I'm more interested now that it sounds like you should only have to pay that one time. I'll definitely call the store back and find out. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%