Genderless Baby Shower Cake For Colleague I Don't Much Like?

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 17 May 2007 , 9:02pm by emmascakes

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 10

I've been asked to make a baby shower cake for a colleague I'm none too keen on. I've worked 'with' her for two years and think she's said about ten words to me in that time. I'd like to do the cake as it's an opportunity to take a cake into work to showcase what I do when I'm not teaching.

She doesn't know the sex of the baby, I'm not about to ask her for ideas as she doesn't know she's having a baby shower and I've NEVER done a baby shower cake before, or even one for a child. Would love some ideas - the most fantastic the better as I'd really like to do something to wow socks off!

9 replies
yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 10

How about one like Boween's "baby feet" cake? Baby feet on the side with fondant/gumpaste booties on the side? I did one like it for work and everyone raved over it. I've also done a regular cake like it in yellow because the sex of the baby wasn't known. Or how about the clothesline cake?

Since the gallery is down, here is Boween's website:
http://www.heavenlydelightcakes.com/

Sugarshack might also give you some ideas/inspiration:
http://hometown.aol.com/szcakes/myhomepage/index.html

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 10

Hmmmm...well, your cakes are always absolutely amazing so whatever you do will be great. Even though you don't particularly like her, I would go ahead and be creative so that everyone else can see how talented you are!

You can keep it gender neutral with yellow and greens. I always like celestial type baby shower cakes - like clouds and moons and stars. Or you could do yellow and greens with modeled teddy bears or something like that.

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with awolf24. Pale yellows and greens always look nice, and you could use flowers without making it look feminine.

Then again, there's always the 'a pea in the pod' theme, with peapods and vines. I've seen some really cute cakes on here with that theme.

Also, ask the person who's throwing the shower what the invitations look like.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

The pea in a pod theme is cute one. You could also do rubber duckies. I've seen some really cute cakes with rubber duckies and bubbles everywhere.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 10

ABC type square blocks with cutie pictures on the other sides.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 10

I just did one with pink and blue baby booties on top and pink and blue baby feet on the sides - and pink and blue little flowers all over the top tier. My inspiration was someone on this site, but I can't get in to the galleries at the moment to give her credit.

Also - don't mean to be rude - but what does your not being keen on this person have to do with anything?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 10

I liked the cake contest winner with the sqished stork!

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 17 May 2007 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 10

how about taking inspiration from a classic children's book like "Goodnight Moon"?
the colors used to illustrate that book are more primary and would also be unique for a baby shower cake (if you're not looking for the traditional baby shower colors).

another great point of inspiration is classic nursery rhymes.

good luck thumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 10

Love the nursery rhyme / children's story idea - particularly since we're all teachers.

The only reason I mentioned not liking this woman much was that I'm not being paid to do this cake, I've been asked t bring a cake along as a gift by the organisers of it, so my motivation is perhaps a little lower than it normally would be. Plus, when you like someone, comig up with ideas is a lot easier!

Thanks for all your ideas, I will check the links and devise something. It's June 5th, so I don't have much time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%