Chocolate Shoe Mold

Decorating By pearldust Updated 17 May 2007 , 3:00am by bobwonderbuns

pearldust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearldust Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:31am
post #1 of 8

I bought the 8" chocolate shoe mold. I've never used one before and I was asked to make a shoe cake for my best friend.

My questions are:

1. How do I make the shoe hollow?

2. How do I stick the two parts of the shoe together?

3. Is there a way to cover up the crease where I stick the two molds together without a bow?

Hope that made sense icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

7 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:16am
post #2 of 8

...good questions....
*bump*

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #3 of 8

When I watched this done on the foodnetwork channel, the used melted chocolate to "glue" the 2 together. Since they should line up perfecty, and melted chocolate can blend into the chocolate, you shouldnt have much for a seam, I would think. HTH some, Jen

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 8

If you do have seams, I think I saw this on FoodNetwork (not sure) heat a paring knife and smooth it over the seams lightly to flatten out. HTH.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 8

Ohh, I missed question 1 sorry=( To make the shoe hollow. Fill the mold with chocolate, tap it real hard on the counter to get rid of all air bubbles, dump out excess chocolate(some do a circle motion when dumping it), so all that you have left in there is a shell. Let it set, and if it is too thin still, just go ahead and redo the steps, fill, empty, set. Also, after you get rid of the excess chocolate and it's ready to set, take something flat and scrap the top of the mold, so the chocolate is not over the inside of the mold. So just take a metal spatula and run it flush against the mold. I am sure there are better chocolate experts out there, but this is the way I know=) Jen

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:56am
post #6 of 8

It helps to line up the two sides of the mold and secure the edges with a paper clip at all 4 corners. Then pour, empty out excess and pour a second coat. Clean the edge of the mold. After the shoe has set completely and you have removed the mold, If needed you can clean the inside edge of the shoe where your foot slides in with a single edged razor blade. Just be very careful doing that. Small sections of fondant lace laid over the toe and heel of the shoe adds a pretty touch.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #7 of 8

Hi pearldust, I have made a shoe with a mould. It is in my pictures or on my website. I presume you are wanting a chocolate shoe. I did have a bit of trouble just coating the inside of the shoe and had a lot of chocolate at the toe and heel but that gave for more support. I just swirled the choco around up and down until the whole side of the shoe was covered and let the excess drop out. Did the same with the other side. Then I warmed a ss tray and rubbed the edged part of the shoe to melt it ever so slightly and then matched it with the other half. Try and hold the shoe from underneath as you have to be careful with fingerprints. I also had a plaque ready on which it was going to be placed. I used a small dab of choco under the heal and the undersole of the toe to hold it upright. As previously said fill any holes with melted choco smoothing as you go. I cut out an insole of fondant to hide join down the front and a bow to tidy up the front. It doesn't have to be a bow, perhaps a buckle or a flower. If you have any problems pm me. Good Luck

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:00am
post #8 of 8

I'm glad this came up, I'm making mine next week! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%