Help With Fondant

Decorating By mookey Updated 19 Jun 2006 , 4:23am by mookey

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 15

id like to start by saying that this is the most addictive website. icon_biggrin.gif I need some help. My friend, Brandy, and I are going to be throwing a baby shower for another friend in september. I am going to be making the cake. I love cake decorating but my only experience is birthday cakes for my kids' birthdays(they turned out really well, though). I have decided(thanks to this wonderful website) to do a cake with mmf. as I am not really familiar with mmf and have never used it before. we want to do a two tier cake with mmf and fondant pearls. really simple, right? or am i crazy? what am i getting myself into? any tips ar advice anyone can give me?

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 15

Make a small batch ahead of time for practice. It is tricky to place fondant and get a smooth surface, no wrinkles or folds at the bottom. Practice on a dummy, or an inverted cake pan.

You can keep the fondant for several weeks, even months, if it is carefully wrapped and in an airtight container.

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 15

I LOVE USING MMF!!!! I have become addicted to it! I went to the craft store for yarn and came back with a fondant set and have been "playing" with it ever since!! I have had alot of trial and error with the fondant, but have found alot of success with the MMF! It taste great and is fairly easy to work with. I made the recipe from this site and used it for a cake I did for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, my brothers birthday cake, and for a cake for my friends womens church group. It's just like working with play dough. You form whatever shape you want and let it set up to dry or harden ( I usually let mine set up over night) and the next day apply with BC icing. It's soooo easy to work with. You may have a new way to decorate your kids birthday cakes. I didn't really know that I could do this until I tried, and am now addicted to it and have already had orders for cakes. Good luck!

jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 15

Ditto from me. I love to use the mmf. You can do almost anything with it. I use it all the time.
I just got finished with two birthday cakes (octopus and ballerinas) all made with fondant.
I use mine as soon as I mix it up. It's simple and always turns out great for me. You can color it in or paint it after you've made your designs or characters.
It is a little tricky to cover a cake ...but with pratice you'll be amazed how good it looks.
Have fun.

mookey Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 15

thanks i am really needing the encouragement and am very exited to try it. thanks for the advice! it helps me to know that its not too terribly difficult. i when we found our cake and decided on it, i started getting worried(ive read about some of the cake disasters). i just hope it turns out well enough to post a pic of my own on the site.lol. thanks again!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 15

I tell you, you won't be sorry if you use MMF. You can go crazy with it.. you can make more decorations w/ MMF.. As for taste ? well, is there a type of icing that is not sweet ? Sweet is one charateristic of "normal" icing..don't listen to people who say it's nasty..It's not.. At least your cake won't look like you got it from Costco or Walmart. Make one batch a a time..if it looks sticky or dry, just keep working on it, it will get better, don't panic or get discouraged..good luck.. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mookey Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 12:20am
post #7 of 15

ok. update. i made a practice cake to take to a family reunion tomorrow. it could be listed in one of those cake diaster forums. the fondant was great and easy to make but how do you keep it from folding at the bottom and cracking, and how do you get it to be smooth? any tips on this one? my other problem(the only thing i wasnt worried about) was the cake itself fell apart while i was trying to place it one the top of the other. but all in all it was ok i remade the cake and my only problem with the fondant was the folding and cracking(which i covered up with some fondant buttons and a bow. it turned out ok considering its my first, but if you can give me any suggestions about the folding and cracking i would greatly appreciate it. i appreciate the help already given too. everyone here is so great!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 5:13am
post #8 of 15

It will get easier with each time you use it! As far as the cracking....make sure you roll it thick enough, and I always use crisco to roll mine out - the cornstarch and powdered sugar make it too dry. (thus it cracks)

As far as the "folding" - what helps me is to make sure I have the cake I am working on elevated - then just work you way around the cake, pulling and smoothing as you go, I work from the top down, and just keep turning the cake and doing a small section at a time. When I get close to the bottom edge, I then trim the excess off and smooth it again.

It just takes practice ~ you will do fine!

mookey Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 15

okay another update. Disaster cake. i had stored the cake in the fridge, where it had been overnight, i took the cake on a 10 minute drive to my grandparents where we were having the reunion. by the time we had gotten to the house my entire cake had basically melted, we're talking buttons falling off left and right. There was a great big hole in the side of the cake where everything had just melted off. i had the air on in the car and it was ony a ten minute drive, should i not have put it in the fridge? what did i do? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 15

Most fondant cannot withstand being put in the refrigerator. You need to leave it at room temperature. It is the condensation of it coming back to room temperature that destroys it. There is one out there that you can refrigerate, I cannot remember which one it is though (pettinice maybe??) I just make sure I don't use any fillings that require refrigeration when I have a cake that is to be covered with fondant.

mookey Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:18am
post #11 of 15

thanks so much to everyone for the help. talk about moral support. most of you make it look so easy(i am soo envious) icon_confused.gif i appreciate the help, and quadcerw thanks for the advice about the condensation and the fridge(i wont be doing that again) thank goodness it was just a practice cake before the baby shower in september so i have a lot more time to make many more. i only hope that my cake turns out half as beautiful as the ones ive seen on this site. well i plan to make another one to deliver on monday for fathers day (belated).this ones for more practice too. im sure ill be back with more questions. wish me luck!

morphiastar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphiastar Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:37am
post #12 of 15

i am making a fathers day cake. first time using mmf. i made it - perfect - then put it in the fridge to rest. now its hard as a rock and i need to color it and use it still. i won't be ready to roll it out until morning. so my question. will it soften if i leave it out? or do i need to make a new batch????

mookey Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 15

i made the fathers day cake and it turned out great looks great(other than one side that is a little lumpy from the cake) MMF is my new favorite thing!!! i cant stop making cakes now! im obsessed. thanks evryone for your support i am so addicted to this site and feel like i have a little "cake" family now. i cant wait until i get some of my own pics to post! and get to know evryone a little better. thanks again!!! icon_biggrin.gifbirthday.gifcowboy.gif

sammsc0tt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammsc0tt Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 3:57am
post #14 of 15

im sorry - but what is fondant ? im young and have no clue - can someone help me out .. PLEASE !

mookey Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 4:23am
post #15 of 15

im still new myself, but marshmallow fondant(mmf) is what ive been using. i got the recipe from here. so simple to make. ive made it twice and the fondant was the easiest part (it was the rest of the cake that gave me the trouble. lol) it gives you cake an extra smooth finish to it. you shoud do a search on fondant and look at the gallery of photos that people have posted. theyre absolutly gorgeous.!!the recipe i used was easy marshmallow fondant under the recipes section of this site.i hope you try it and good luck!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%