Cup Cake Wedding Cakes

Decorating By SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Updated 16 Jun 2006 , 11:14pm by candyladyhelen

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

Okay...here goes....I swore I would never do this...(famous last words, right!!) My next door neighbor wants a cup cake wedding cake. Please help me with some ideas...the wedding is in February and she is using mostly red and white. She is expecting about 100 quests. What do people usually use for stands? I am a just starting out, out of my house, family and friends baker, what should I charge? Do people usually use standard sized cup cakes or the larger ones?? Liners? No liners!! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

10 replies
mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 11

check out some of the ones in the photo gallery. There is one where she uses a stand that she made and it looks really neat. There are lots in there. Good luck, can't wait too see it!!

askarrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
askarrick Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 11

I saw a thing on Sugar Rush like this. He took nice glass/crystal plates and covered aluminum cans with nice paper or fabric and then stacked the plates. He just used regular size cup cakes. There is an idea on here where the decorator used covered foam blocks and stacked in tiers, then placed the cup cakes around the edge of the foam. Hope this helps! If this doesn't, I would search the gallery for cupcake wedding cake!

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 11

Cupcake weddings are fun! I have a few pictures posted.

The picture of the three tiered stacked wedding cake with cupcakes surrounding it was for my niece's wedding. The bottom two layers of the cake are dummy cakes, with the top layer real cake for cutting and pictures. It looked really nice with the cupcakes surrounding it.

There is also a picture where I used the Wilton Tall Tier Cake stand, which is sturdy and reasonably priced. This was a reception for a couple who had already gotten married out of state, but wanted to have a second reception for their local relatives. We put cupcakes on the bottom 5 tiers and their original wedding topper on the top tier.

The nice thing about the Wilton stand is that you don't have to use all the tiers. If you use all six, it's roughly 3 feet tall, which, on top of a table, is pretty high.

In a couple of months I'm doing a cupcake wedding using only the bottom 4 tiers of this stand. The top tier will have a bride and groom cake for cutting and the bottom three will be filled with cupcakes and there will also be cupcakes filling the table. We plan to put fresh flowers around and on the cake stand.

If you do cupcakes for weddings, I recommend using either silver or gold colored cupcake papers, rather than the thin paper ones typically used for cupcakes. They are so much sturdier and look much nicer.

One thing to keep in mind is how you will transport the cupcakes. I actually do lots of cupcakes for people, so I've invested in some plastic boxes. I lined them with non-skid shelf liner to keep the cupcakes in place, and it works very well.

I hope this information helps. If you have other questions, send me a PM.

Sammy

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 11

Helen (antonia74) has some great displays in her gallery.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-antonia74.html

There are also instructions for building one of the stands she uses here...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22674.html

LOVEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOVEME Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 11

I have made stands uning glass handleholders for the $ tree.Now the time to hit the garage sale for great buys on beautiful crystal plates.I have found some great ones at really good prices.

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 11

I agree, use liners! I always use the silver foil ones, so I can bake them on rimless cookie sheets and not have to use cupcake tins. I find it easier and that I can bake more at a time. I only do one sheet at a time, you might experiment with your oven and see if you can do multiple sheets.

Check out this site- http://chockylit.blogspot.com/ she makes fabulous cupcakes! She uses different liners, and they look fresh and modern. I think they would look great for a wedding cake, more dressed up than traditional ones.

I have done cupcakes for showers and used glass cake stands in varying heights, decorated with fresh flowers. This works well if you can have them all different heights, so you can spiral them out, tallest to shortest. But that was for 50 cupcakes, not 100.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 11

Just checking in to see if you had decided how you were going to do the cupcakes.

I went back and read your original post again, and you had asked if people make the regular size cupcakes or if they made bigger ones.

I make the standard size cupcakes, but I've seen mini-cupcakes as well and they look nice too, but there isn't much cake there.

Hope all is going well!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS

Okay...here goes....I swore I would never do this...(famous last words, right!!) My next door neighbor wants a cup cake wedding cake. Please help me with some ideas...the wedding is in February and she is using mostly red and white. She is expecting about 100 quests. What do people usually use for stands? I am a just starting out, out of my house, family and friends baker, what should I charge? Do people usually use standard sized cup cakes or the larger ones?? Liners? No liners!! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I have made a few of these. I use the large muffin sized cupcakes patty holders. I also made my own stand, it was rather easy, cause you dont need to get anything special for it, i just used masonite cake boards and cake dummies.
Here is one i did in Feb this year
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=37
and here are some cupcakes with red.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=46
Have fun
Nati

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 11

I really, really encourage antonia's cupcake stand! It's so awesome!!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 11

I use liners. I use the Wilton Tall Tier stand. It makes a beautiful presentation. I glued ivy leaves around all the plates. I charge the same as I get for my wedding cakes per slice. There is alot of work involved, especially if you make flowers for each cupcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%