Tinted Cake Batter...

Decorating By Crazybotz Updated 12 Jun 2014 , 4:24pm by crumbcake

Crazybotz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazybotz Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 23

hi there...

i thought i would hit up the expertise of the gals...what is everyone's opinion on tinting cake batter?

i have a little sweetheart that asked for pink cake, but not strawberry flavored...so i was thinking that using a white cake mix and tinting it a bit with some pink coloring would do the trick...

anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

any advice is always helpful from my cakecentral.com buddies!

22 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 23

It works just fine! I had a little girl who wanted a checkerboard cake with the colors of the cake purple and turquise. icon_eek.gif It turned out really cute too, they loved it!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 23

Yup - works great. I did pink (tinted white cake) for a checkboard cake.

Quadcrew - the purple and turquoise sounds so FUN! icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 23

Dumb question maybe but how do you do a checkerboard cake??

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 23

They actually sent me pics of the cut cake ( it had lime green frosting!) - I just haven't scanned them to put in my pics yet! It really turned out cool. (not anything I would want for me - but for a young girl - perfect!) icon_biggrin.gif

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 23

I did the Wilton Easter checkerboard cake this way too. It worked out great. (Words of wisdom: just like with your icing, start out a little at a time. You can always add color to it before you bake!!!)

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 23

CarolAnn - there is a set of rings that you put into the cake pans to seperate the colored batter. Walmart has them for around $9.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 23

Beware of your color choices but pink should work just fine. I was going for blue last night and the egg in my cake and the blue coloring made the outside of the cake look green. I'm hoping its just the outside since I havent cut into the cake yet.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 23

mmgiles had a good point - to get truer colors, you should use a white cake recipe/mix. If you use a yellow cake and add blue, you could get green as a result.

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 23

Good point, I knew that and only use white cake, but didn't think to pass on that info. icon_redface.gif

jillcleary1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillcleary1026 Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 23

Yes, I colored my sisters baby shower cake Pink and Blue... the blue half looked greenish on the outside when it baked but boy was it blue when we cut it icon_smile.gif Colored cake looks so cute when its cut!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 23

Wow..funny I came across this. I just made colored cakes!!! They are in the fridge chilling now. I have Hot Pink, Purple, Teal, and Lime Green! I'll go take a pic of the tops and post it.
LL

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 23

I remember having to make a Barney purple cake and icing. That is what the child wanted and the child got. I think it was written on in the Barney green. The mother came in a couple of days later and complained that all the people, kids especially, BM (poop) was purple. And she was worried, al I could do was laugh. I explained what goes in must come out. She was happy with that explaination.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 23

I did a bday cake for a 13 yr old "rocker chick" girl... she wanted it hot pink and black, so I decided to color the batter those colors, too. The pink worked fine, but I was having a little trouble with my oven at the time, so it was a little difficult to decide if the black cake was just black or burnt!!! LOL!

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:30am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

Wow..funny I came across this. I just made colored cakes!!! They are in the fridge chilling now. I have Hot Pink, Purple, Teal, and Lime Green! I'll go take a pic of the tops and post it.

These look awesome! How Fun!!!!!

Make me want to go make a fun cake... now all I gotta do is convince my hubby and kids to eat twice as much cake as they have been to make room in the fridge. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #16 of 23

I had a bride with that exact request .... pink cake but not flavored. I just added some red food coloring drops until it looked right. Worked fine.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:31am
post #17 of 23

Wow, what a concientious hostess, to survey her guests about the color of their poop! That sounds like my family, well me and my sisters. LOL

I recently bought the McCormick neon food colors. I'm gonna try them on something for my granddaughters.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 4:02am
post #18 of 23

AIndydebi, I too have to make a pink cake, you used red coloring, why not pink? Does the baking process change the color in anyway. When tinting the batter should I go lighter or darker than what I want end result to be?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 4:37am
post #19 of 23

Crumbcake I don't think IndyDebi is still active on this board.  You didn't seem to notice this thread started some 7 years ago :)

It could be that the red was the 1st color her hand found? 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 10:50pm
post #20 of 23

I've found that a wee bit of red makes a lovely light pink.  So many of the pink food colors produce either a dusty or a neon pink.    I often use red to get pink.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:08am
post #21 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

I've found that a wee bit of red makes a lovely light pink.  So many of the pink food colors produce either a dusty or a neon pink.    I often use red to get pink.

I second all of this.  I use red also for the prettiest pink shade.

Liz

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 2:33am
post #22 of 23

If I could only keep one color, it would be red-red-super red. so handy

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 23

AThanks Ladies, red it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%