Torting ???????

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 15 May 2007 , 5:17pm by sjbeatty8

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

Ok probably stupid question but I keep seeing all these instruction that talk about torting a cake.. to me that means hollowing it out and putting filling in.. but I feel that is not what is meant... Please explain.

TIA

7 replies
coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 8

It just means to split the layer (usually in half). This is done to put a filling in between the layers.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 8

Yep, what the pp said. You take your cake layer and cut in half(some even tort a layer more then that, but for this first time, just cut it once). Then lay your bottom layer on the board. Put a dam around the edge of the bottom layer. The icing for the dam should be stiff consistency to hold in your filling. Most pipe the dam about a 1/4-1/8 from the edge. Then fill the center with your filling, lay the top layer on top, and you have torted and filled a cake=) Jen

kycreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kycreative Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, I understand about the torting effect, but can you achieve the same thing by just baking half of the cake mix in the appropriate sized pan? I am not a huge fan of torting...too messy, breaking, almost crying...you get the picture. Will that approach work? Has anyone tried it? icon_smile.gif

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, you can achieve the same effect that way. Just be sure your two halves are level. icon_smile.gif

kycreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kycreative Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 8

Coolch21, you're my hero!! You've saved me a headache! Thank-you!!

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 8

I always wondered why they called it that also as opposed to something else. I looked up the word in several dictionaries just for fun and found this definition at the Freedictionary.com:

A torte is a fancy cake with many layers. The bottom layer is made of chocolate or vanilla cake, surrounded by a sugary or unsweetened icing. A thick layer of icing is placed between it and the second cake. They can be anywhere from two to five layers high.

The word torte is derived from the german word "Torte" (tor-ta) which means "layered cake".

Torte making is considered an art, with the most popular form of torte making being wedding cake making. Wedding cakes are elaborate, some with gravity-defying designs. A food network show has even been devoted to wedding cake making. Up to five teams can compete to see who comes up with the best looking designs.

Some American torte makers have made designs that are so elaborate that they sometimes topple before they can make it to the judging tables (or wedding tables, in which case the ensuing carnage is known as "a disaster").

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 8

WONDEFUL... thank you ... That is what I thought it was but just wanted to make sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%