Cookie Bouquet ... Styrofoam In The Pot?

Baking By LittleLinda Updated 18 May 2007 , 11:17am by LittleLinda

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:25am
post #1 of 16

I want to try cookie bouquets for the first time. I bought some flower pots. What do you guys stick the sticks in? (Looking for the most inexpensive way, as I intend to make at least twelve as teacher gifts.)

15 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:45am
post #2 of 16

I use the green floral foam. I bought a package of six on sale for $2.00, and then cut them to fit 5" terra cotta pots. I was able to cut two from each piece (I think they were 4"x6" pieces), so got 12 for less than 20 cents each. I put a piece of tissue paper (12"x12") in the pot, add the foam, then put another tissue paper over the top of the foam. I push the sticks thru that. I looks nice and tidy. Good luck.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:59am
post #3 of 16

Me too, the green floral foam for artificial flowers. It's cheaper than regular styrofoam, but harder to hide the green color under shred or tissue paper.

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 16

You will also need to weigh the pot down so it doesn't tip over. I bought a small bag of river rocks from WalMart for $2. The cupcakes might fall out of the wrapper if the cupcakes are too heavy or too fresh. Make them a day or two ahead of time. I actuall froze them and then put them on. The weren't rock solid or anything....they thaw very quickly so you need to work fast. Also, place them on the skewers and position them before icing. Pull them off, ice them and then put them back into position. Good luck!

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 16

OK, so I just read your question again and saw that you were asking about cookies and not cupcakes. You can probably ignore most of my post. Sorry!

LittleLinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookste

OK, so I just read your question again and saw that you were asking about cookies and not cupcakes. You can probably ignore most of my post. Sorry!

Ha Ha!

Today I went to JoAnn's with my 40% off coupon and got the green floral foam ... it was cheaper than styrofoam. It was $3.49 before the coupon; so I think I did OK ... except for all the other stuff I bought that I wouldn't have if I had never gone in there! All on sale, though; so the coupon went to the full price item which was the foam.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 16

at the craft stores and Wal-Mart they have a flat disc of foam that fits exactlly into the top of a flower pot I stick this on top of a chunk of green floral foam so that there is foam all the way down in the flower pots but the top piece of foam is cut to the exact size of the opening of the pot which makes it look super clean!! Sometimes I cover the foam with tissue paper like in the small pots and other times I fill with candy and then wrap that disc of foam with the candies in cello like in the big pots I did hope that helps
LL
LL

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 16

KHalstead

You are SOOOOOO talented , you rboquets are beautiful! Did you paint the pots yourself? Great work thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2007 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 16

KHalstead,
Those are adorable! I see you wrote names on some ... that writing is so perfect! They look really fantastic with the matching pots!

cookiesolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesolution Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:28am
post #10 of 16

I never use anything but Quick Arrange. I hated cutting foam and having that mess. Quick Arrange is liquid that you mix together and it makes foam to fit whatever your putting it in. For pots that are light I put plaster of paris in the bottom first.

Happy Baking!!

slimkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimkim Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:43am
post #11 of 16

Hey sounds interesting , so where do you get that Quick Arrange and is it expensive?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:56am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

KHalstead

You are SOOOOOO talented , you rboquets are beautiful! Did you paint the pots yourself? Great work thumbs_up.gif

yes I painted them myself and thanks

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:01am
post #13 of 16

I use the green floral foam I get a brick of it for $1 at the dollar store. I also add the tissue paper like gemini

cookiesolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesolution Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:47am
post #14 of 16

slimkim, the web site is www.floralsupply.com. Its 71.00 for 1 gallon but it only take a few tablespoons to make a full pot of foam. It foams up and makes a hard foam in about 10 minutes. If your just making a few cookie bouquets its not the way to go but if you make them all the time its the only way to go.

Happy baking!!!

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #15 of 16

LittleLinda,
I used styrofoam on top and in the bottom of the pot I used a bag of blackeye peas. Worked great in a pinch. Good luck with your cookie bouquet!

LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:17am
post #16 of 16

Sunnigirl, thank you, that's clever to weigh it down with a bag of blackeyed peas!
Welcome to cake central! You'll be hooked in no time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%