Fondant - I've Been Thinking About Not Charging

Business By alicegop Updated 16 May 2007 , 3:10am by alicegop

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 13

I like doing Fondant and I use the MMF so the additional cost is nominal. I'm thinking of quoting all cakes at one price fondant or not, that would encourage more people to use fondant. I don't have to obsess about the smoothness of the frosting so I figure even though it takes me more time to make the MMF and roll it out, I save close to that amount of time by not having to obsess over smoothness of the buttercream.............

Does anyone else price them the same?

12 replies
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 13

I always say I'm going to charge more for fondant but then I don't. Up until now, I had used Wilton and don't blame anyone for running the other way from cakes w/ fondant. I had to "sell" my design ideas that required fondant! icon_lol.gif Now, I just tried the MMF and fell in LOVE! I'm going to need a taste test or sample day like CupofButter did (another thread). I think once people taste the MMF they will love it and I think I may just charge a nominal fee of $5 additional per tier. I don't know... icon_rolleyes.gif Still thinking about it. I love the way cakes look w/ Fondant as well. Now I just need to get more people to order outside of the box...everyone always wants sheet cakes icon_razz.gif One repeat customer almost lets me do anything I want; I love her!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 13

At the risk of sounding really green....what is MMF? I've seen it repeatedly on this site, but I'm new here and I haven't figured out all the lingo yet. Thanks for the help.

usaribbon.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicegop

I like doing Fondant and I use the MMF so the additional cost is nominal. I'm thinking of quoting all cakes at one price fondant or not, that would encourage more people to use fondant. I don't have to obsess about the smoothness of the frosting so I figure even though it takes me more time to make the MMF and roll it out, I save close to that amount of time by not having to obsess over smoothness of the buttercream.............

Does anyone else price them the same?

Yes. Everything you said. The cost is minimal, and I make it up by not having to freak out and work over smoothing a buttercream cake. Plus, people around here don't want to pay for fondant anyway.

moxey2000: MMF is Marshmallow Fondant. icon_smile.gif Great stuff.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-4-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:05am
post #5 of 13

If that is what your specialty is, I say go for it! Just set a base per-serving price based on the cake being fondant.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:04am
post #6 of 13

I have found with fondant most people shy away from it here b/c they don't know what it is (or they have had wilton's icon_sad.gif )

I have started not charging for it if they will allow me to design the cake and do whatever I want (did this this weekend for the present cake in my photos with the gumpaste bow-I was given a "do whatever you want" so I only charged them my base price for the cake/fillings as they did choose these)

I think things like this really open the eyes of our customers to show them what is out there.

So to get back to your question, if you find the time saved smoothing/worrying is worth the cost of MMF then go for it.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #7 of 13

For wedding cakes, I just recently raised my prices .75 a serving and that includes fondant. I don't discount if someone "only wants buttercream"

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

At the risk of sounding really green....what is MMF? I've seen it repeatedly on this site, but I'm new here and I haven't figured out all the lingo yet. Thanks for the help.

usaribbon.gif

MMF stands for marshmallow fondant. You can find the recipe in the recipe section here. Whatever you do, don't use the Wilton fondant--it tastes soooo bad!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:19am
post #9 of 13

I charge the same for Fondant as I do for smooth buttercream... To me time is more valuable than the materials cost is. I'm one of those people who works with smoothing the BC to the point that there is hardly even a seam anywhere around the cake, so to me Fondant is Heaven sent! I don't offer any discount either for just using buttercream because I'm so picky about it being smooth and spend so much time doing it (have been known to spend 2 hours getting the darn stuff perfect on ONE tier)...

I used to make MMF all the time, then I found Albert Uster Fondant and figured that my time is worth more than even making MMF and I don't have to worry about consistency issues sometimes (MMF can be tempermental from time to time)..

Do what works for your business. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:40am
post #10 of 13

Why don't you write down that you have a more expensive price for fondant then find a way to "upgrade for free" like.... 2007 only! People love a deal icon_wink.gif (well they love thinking they are getting one)

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:05am
post #11 of 13

I prefer to cover in MMF as well...I am obsessive about the smoothing as well. I charge about $5 more for it and most people go for it because they prefer the look.

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 13

I charge the same, I use Albert Usters fondant and IMBC and I have always figured with the cost of butter, and extra time to smooth it evens out. I try to work only with fondant, but that doesn't always work out.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:10am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I have found with fondant most people shy away from it here b/c they don't know what it is (or they have had wilton's icon_sad.gif )

I have started not charging for it if they will allow me to design the cake and do whatever I want (did this this weekend for the present cake in my photos with the gumpaste bow-I was given a "do whatever you want" so I only charged them my base price for the cake/fillings as they did choose these)

I think things like this really open the eyes of our customers to show them what is out there.

So to get back to your question, if you find the time saved smoothing/worrying is worth the cost of MMF then go for it.

DITTO, those are all the things I was thinking of. So I am using my cake matrix (see business forum and go to the LAST posting, I just updated today) which adds in my costs to my base price. The cost of the MMF is minimal and I set my fondant charge at 0% instead of 15%. I also am trying to do a "let me do what I want" so I can make all those fabulous cakes in the "All time popular cake photos" that has filled up my favorites. I have a $45 minimum turn on my oven charge so I can charge $45 and do a $100 cake if I want to, or a $45 cake if I want to. Then I have more fun icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone! I feel more confident about my decision now! I was thinking I was lone ranger, glad to see I'm far from! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%