How Long Does It Take For Fondant To Dry?

Decorating By kerris3 Updated 12 Nov 2014 , 7:04am by jessiebellie

kerris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerris3 Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 13

I love the look of the big fondant bows, but how long do they have to dry before putting them together. I tried one last week and let the pieces dry for 2 days. When I went to "stack" them to make the bow they either broke, cracked or got squished from the weight. What am I doing wrong?

12 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #2 of 13

Alot depends on how humid it is where you are, what type of fondant you have used and how thin/thick it is. Marshmallow fondant takes up to a week or longer to dry. You can add gum-tex, tylose or even denture powder to your fondant to give it more gumpaste qualities.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #3 of 13

I'm near the ocean (high humidity) and my fondant never dries hard. I tried the same thing with making a fondant bow only to have it fall to pieces. You may want to try a fondant/gumpaste.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:14am
post #4 of 13

Fondant, by itself, doesn't dry hard. If you're talking about making decorations, you'll want to use gum paste, this dries really hard. HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:17am
post #5 of 13

Tylose powder works great for me, and the more you add, the harder it gets (quicker).

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:24am
post #6 of 13

What is tylose powder and were do you get it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:25am
post #7 of 13

Honestly I don't know what it is....LOL...but I think you can get it at like CalJava or Pfeil & Holing or something...I get mine at Oasis supply which is local to me but also has some online ordering.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:35am
post #8 of 13

Tylose from Global Sugar Art

Tylose from Country Kitchens

Tylose from Nick Lodge

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:18am
post #9 of 13

I never tried rolled fondant until a few weeks ago it was wilton, it dried hard as a rock in two days and it was sitting on my counter with handwrap over it. icon_eek.gif Is that normal? I didn't use it for anything I thought maybe it had to be served right away. Is the marshmellow fondant like that?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 13

I have found that fondant will dry if left out with enough time but if you don't want it to dry you have to wrap it really, really well in plastic wrap and then place in a ziploc bag. If you just wrap it air will still get in no matter what type of fondant. To get mmf to dry hard you do have to add something like mentioned above or it won't be stable (like to make a bow with).

DEEDEE6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEEDEE6 Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:36am
post #11 of 13

Michael's and Hobby lobby

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 7:09am
post #12 of 13

AI use marshmallow fondant and it hardens just fine.

jessiebellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiebellie Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 7:04am
post #13 of 13

some say 9 hours at the very least. I am doing an assignment and am trying to really set the bars high with a cake volcano. I wasn't sure about using just normal icing so im trying out the fondant part. ive heard at the longest 2 weeks. hope this helps!! x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%