Fondx Or Satin Ice?

Decorating By cykrivera Updated 18 May 2007 , 3:19am by BearLuvsCakes

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 34

I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these products (satin Ice and Fondx) and how they compared. Satin Ice is on the costly side so I want to know if it is worth the extra money or if fondx will do the trick as well. Thanks!!

33 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 34

ive used both and have both, either one is great. i wouldn;t hesitate to recommend either one.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 34

I have tried others and use Satin Ice only.
If you use alot of fondant you can order directly from Satin Ice.
The minimum order is 40 pounds.
1st time orders are C.O.D. or pre-paid check. They don't accept credit cards.
They allow you to mix 2lb. pails in a case.(colors & flavors)
Or you can get 20 pound buckets, $52.00 for 20 pounds.
I received my order from NY to GA in 4 days.

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 34

I haven't heard of either. Can you tell me about them?

sherik Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 34

Satin Ice vanilla tastes like a mild marshmallow, the chocolate tastes like a soft tootsie roll.
Never tried Fondux.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 34

both are really good. Some like fondx because it is softer after you work with. I like both you will not be disappointed.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 34

I haven't tried either. I've heard they're both good. But I wanted to let you know that I use Pettinice and I love it. It's the only brand that Toba Garrett uses, so to me that was a pretty good endorsement.

Alex

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherik

I have tried others and use Satin Ice only.
If you use alot of fondant you can order directly from Satin Ice.
The minimum order is 40 pounds.
1st time orders are C.O.D. or pre-paid check. They don't accept credit cards.
Or you can get 20 pound buckets, $52.00 for 20 pounds.
I received my order from NY to GA in 4 days.

Do you have a website?

iris711 Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 34

Hi, I'm new at this. I have not used Satin Ice. But I would like to know if you have a website for ordering the Satin & Fondant. Thanks

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 34

I've tried both and prefer Fondx for the taste. It is costly for me to get Fondx as the shipping is quite high (I got 2 buckets when Caljava had a sale last year on them), so I normally use Satin Ice as it is easier for me to get. Both brands handle well.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 34

I like FondX's taste, I've never used SatinIce.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 34

I had a hard time with the Fondx because it was too soft. I ended up mixing it with Satin Ice so it didn't go to waste. It does taste good though. I use mostly Satin Ice. Mild taste and very easy to work with. The dark chocolate SI is delish!

Debbie

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 34

I had the same problem with Fondx. It was too soft for me, although it definitely could have been me and not the product. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif I prefer Satin Ice. I have found it easier to work with. I do want to try Rhonda's MMF recipe though.

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 34

I just bought a 10lb bucket of fondx from Caljava, and for that and shipping was cheaper than buying two 5lb boxes of yucky wilton fondant. I am a hugh fan of the fondx. It tastes amazing and it melts in your mouth. The best thing about it is, you can refrigerate it with no problems (ie.. sweating). To me fondx tastes like a mild buttercream, my husband thinks it tastes like marshmallow. Either way, it's tastes DARN GOOD! LOL! I can't express how happy I am with the product. When I first got it and tasted it, I almost fell to the floor. I thought, WOW! I now can actually have a cake that tastes good from the inside as well as the outside. Sorry for my rambling, I am just very very pleased with fondx. I haven't tried the santin ice, but I am ok with that. ;o)

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:16pm
post #15 of 34

I have used both. I like the Fondx Virgin White and for pre-colored I order Satin Ice. But recently I tried CalJava for the blue I used on the cake show cake and I liked it too. Also really like Pettinice chocolate fondant. I haven't really limited myself to one brand, I like one for some things, another brand for something else. I think you need to experiment and decide which works best for your needs.

The only brand I have tried that I found really difficult to work with is Chocopan, loved the smell and the taste, but it is so soft I had a difficult time handling it, getting it on the cake without it tearing.

CakesbyMonica Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 34

You can try the FondX for free. I think it tastes like a mild buttercream.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 34

you can buy satinice, fondx, cal java colored fondant and Bakels Pettinice fondant from

http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=70

You will need to spend $50 for an order. For me shipping was $17 to california on my order. someone else I know order 3 buckets of fondx to Texas and shipping was $19.20. The only thing with this company you do not know what the shipping cost is going to be because they try to get the best. Never had a problems ordering from them and shipping cost has all ways been great. I add $22.00 to my orders and have all ways been covered in cost. You do not need to have business license to order from them.

CakesbyMonica Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #18 of 34

When you start an account online at CakeDeco, you can input your social security number as your business ID. I was advised this from CakeDeco themselves, so its not like you're getting away with anything. icon_smile.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:40am
post #19 of 34

Hi everyone, thanks for the info. I have been wanting to try Satin Ice for soooo long and now that my fellow CC'rs have approved it. I'm going to get some real soon icon_smile.gif Hey ShirleyW, I know what your talking about with Chocopan!

I saw Collette Peters on a cake challegene and her partner thought it would be good to use it for their cake. Boy oh boy was collette upset about it and would not work!! She said the same thing, it is too soft to work with. I guess you know they did not win the challegne, poor collette icon_sad.gif

CakesbyMonica Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:56am
post #20 of 34

I just tried Satin Ice today and didn't care for it much, but am wondering if it was because it was black? Has anyone had experience with the colored fondants? Is the white fondant different tasting? To me it has a playdough-y aftertaste.

thecakemaker Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:26pm
post #21 of 34

I use white, chocolate and colored SI and have never experienced a playdoughy after-taste. They have a mild vanilla flavor except for the chocolate which tastes like tootsie-roll.

Debbie

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:14pm
post #22 of 34

With all these opinions, it is hard to decide. Maybe you all can help me, I don't want to hijack the post, but, I have a wedding cake in a couple of weeks and it is ivory on ivory, I have planned on ordering Satin Ice, I have always used MMF, and I am trying to cut down on all the work involved, so one of my questions is does Satin Ice get hard or does it stay soft and pliable. I just don't think I want to attempt ivory MMF myself.

thecakemaker Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:38pm
post #23 of 34

The outer layer on SI gets a skin but the inside stays soft. If you want to stick with MMF add the ivory before putting in the pwd sugar. Just count how many drops you add so you can add the same amount to each batch keeping it all the same color.

Debbie

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #24 of 34

thanks for your resonse. What would you all do. I am second guessing myself.

sherik Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:41pm
post #25 of 34

Here is how to contact Satin Fine Foods.

Via U.S. Mail:
Satin Fine Foods, Inc.
37 Elkay Drive, Suite 41
Chester, NY 10918   

Via Phone: 845.469.1034

Via Fax: 845.469.8345   

Via E-mail:
[email protected]

Minimum order is 40 LBS.

SATIN ICE COLOR / FLAVOR      COST/LB  COST/CASE

WHITE / VANILLA
40LB CASE (2X 20LB PAILS)      $2.50    $100.00
40LB CASE (8 X 5LB PAILS)      $2.85    $114.00
20LB CASE (10 X 2LB PAILS)      $3.35    $67.00

IVORY / VANILLA
40LB CASE (2 X 20LB PAILS)      $2.60    $104.00
40LB CASE (8 X 5LB PAILS)      $2.95    $118.00
20LB CASE (10 X 2LB PAILS)      $4.10    $ 82.00

DARK / CHOCOLATE
40LB CASE (2 X 20LB PAILS)      $2.60    $104.00
40LB CASE (8 X 5LB PAILS)      $2.95    $118.00
20LB CASE (10 X 2LB PAILS)      $4.10    $ 82.00

COLORED / VANILLA
40LB CASE (8 X 5LB PAILS)      $3.35    $134.00
20LB CASE (10 X 2LB PAILS)      $4.10     $82.00

GUM PASTE
40LB CASE (8 X 5LB PAILS)      $3.70    $148.00
20LB CASE (10 X 2LB PAILS)      $4.35    $87.00

NOTE
COLORED/VANILLA INCLUDES BLACK, RED, BLUE, GREEN, YELLOW, PINK & PURPLE.
PAYMENT TERMS: 1st time orders are C.O.D. or check in advance, they don't accept credit cards.

sherik Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 34

Black Satin Ice has a slight bit different consistancy then the other colors, white or chocolate. It helps if you kneed it a bit & also add a little powdered sugar.

I will always use their black. I really detest mixing black!

iris711 Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #27 of 34

Thank you for the info.

CakesbyMonica Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:09am
post #28 of 34

how much do you pay for black fondant?

sherik Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:49pm
post #29 of 34

$8.70 per 2 pound bucket.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #30 of 34

I have tried a number of different fondants, except for Wilton brand which I refuse to even taste, let alone use on a cake.

I mainly use Satin Ice, white chocolate and colored varieties (I buy them by the case and the white in 20lb pails). I cover my cakes and refrigerate them with no problem. I am currently working on a Kerry Vincent design and I have even frozen it. I take it out when I have the time to work on it and then refreeze it, without incident. No condensation as many have reported. The colored buckets come in two sizes, 2 and 5lb. They come in a variety of colors, all very strong, which you can mix with white to get the shade you want. I found that these last a long time since the colors are very strong. They also have an ivory color which is nice. The chocolate taste very good and it has a nice shine once you put it on a cake and smooth it.

I purchased a box of fondant from Geraldine Randalsome at a cake show a few months ago. I tried it today for the first time and I absolutely hated it! It was super soft and would tear just from trying to lift it off the mat. I have NEVER had anything ilke this ever happen to me before. I only work with fondant, no buttercream, and couldn't tell you how many pounds of fondant I've rolled out. This was a first. I even tried to mix with with the same amount of Satin Ice and it was still unruly. Way too soft. What a waste of 7 lbs of fondant. It looks and tastes like MMF.

I have also tried Albert Uster's fondant which has a citrus flavor - very different from anything else I've tried. Quite nice, but not as tasty as Satin Ice. This fondant is also very soft, but definitely maangeable.

If you have a business license, you can buy Satin Ice for alot less if you open an account with CK South (www.cksouth.com). It's cheaper than buying it from Satin Ice directly. They also sell just about everything you need for cake decorating for a fraction of the retail price.

All in all, Satin Ice has the best price and the best tasting fondant. It's only downfall is that it has a great deal of gum in it and it dries out quickly, creating elephant skin on the surface if you don't work fast enough.

Colette uses Carma but it's not easy to find or get. It's also a bit pricey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%