Satin Ice. Color Blind? Confused? I'm Both!!

Decorating By Marvelous Updated 14 May 2007 , 1:08pm by Marvelous

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:25am
post #1 of 8

Every time I look at the image I've posted I keep seeing different colors and I can't seem to decide what color the cakes actually are! Sometimes I see white but then i decide its more a pale grey then i see Ivory....I'm a little on the confused side. I've been asked to achieve the same color effect on a friends wedding cake.

I want to use Satin ice fondant because of so many recommendations but I'm not sure what the product looks like right out of the bucket. Is it a vivid white? Is it similar to the image i posted in its creamy tone? If anyone could suggest How i could achieve the color I would be quite grateful!

Here in Australia I haven't seen satin ice on the shelves so I have to purchase it online which makes it difficult to see the color for myself, hence my silly questions icon_redface.gif

Thanks everyone
LL

7 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:44am
post #2 of 8

Hi,
I've used SatinIce several times and it is white. When you put it along side of a "bright white" fondant, it looks liked ivory/off white. It (SatinIce) also comes in Ivory as you have probably found online.
The only "bright white" fondant I've found is White Chocolate Rolled Fondant from Caljava.com. Pettinice is also a white fondant. In my opinion, it is a little whiter than the SatinIce but it is also a little more expensive.
Not much help..... icon_redface.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:59am
post #3 of 8

Marvelous you will love Satin Ice when you get to use it. My personal opinion is it is better that Penttinice. I have been told that in Western Australia you can buy it but I am not 100% sure. I use it in the States last year and I love it. Sorry now I didn't bring the rest home with me. You may be able to get it from USFoods in Melbourne. It is definately not on the shelves in Sydney otherwise I would be buying it. Its White or what I brought as white was white although I did not have anything to put it beside to do a sight test.

Marvelous Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks very much mmjs4492 and boring, any help is always great

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 8

I use white Satin Ice all the time. It sure looks white-white to me right out of the bucket. If I were to need ivory, I'd mix the TINIEST amount of my Americolor gel-Ivory into it to start.
Is that your cake/ little cakes is the photo? Beautiful display.
P.S. LOVE your Maximus!!!!!!!! Very funny!!!!

Marvelous Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 8

He is darling isn't he Nancysfancy icon_lol.gif I can't take credit for the mini cakes display and i'm not sure where is originally came from. I got the image from a friend who wants the same fondant color/love heart effect on her wedding cake.

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry to go off topic here, Marvelous. Couldn't help myself. My husband, teenage daughter and I love "Gladiator" so much that we own it and have practically worn out the DVD. Still cry at the end!! I NEED to print out your very clever photoshopped Russell for my home bakery.( With your permission?) Thanks for making my day!!! icon_biggrin.gif
P.S. Post YOUR version of that wedding cake/cakes when you're done. I'm sure it will be gorgeous.

Marvelous Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 8

So nice knowing that made you smile Nancysfancy! I'll PM you the file in its normal size ( A lot larger then the mini one here in the forum) The image was also given awhile ago by a friend of mine who knew I had a thing for tasty cakes and sword wielding Men in skirts icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%