How Many Flavors Do You Offer?

Business By spottydog Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 8:51pm by pinkopossum

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 28

Just pondering getting my feet wet with selling cakes.I have been looking at some web sites to get an idea of what people offer. Some have a ton and some only have a few. So I quess I am looking for the "average" # of cake & filling flavors everyone offers. TIA

Lisa icon_wink.gif

27 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 28

I like to keep it simple so that I don't have to keep lots of ingredients on hand or go shopping a lot.

I always offer:
French Vanilla Cake
Chocolate Cake
Buttercream Icing

Offer by request only:
Red Velvet Cake
Cream Cheese Icing
Fondant
Lemon Cake
Strawberry filling
Lemon filling

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 28

Thanks...What is most requested?

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 28

I offer:
CAKE:
vanilla
chocolate
strawberry
lemon
key lime (newest edition, thanks to Crimsicle)
marble
red velvet
coconut

FROSTING:
buttercream
cream cheese
BC variations (to match the above)
chocolate fudge
coconut
fondant

FILLING:
variations (to match above)
coconut
caramel
cream cheese

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 28

WOWZAS pink! Which one is most requested?

pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog

Thanks...What is most requested?

kids want the classic vanilla cake with buttercream icing

adults enjoy the strawberry cake with strawberry filling and ganache

***forgot to mention that I also offer ganache!

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 28

Do you do many wedding cakes??? How do you do the tasting? How many options do they try?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 28

Most of my customers are happy with plain old vanilla and chocolate! icon_smile.gif I'm more in to decorating than baking and creating flavors. They don't usually want to pay more either...

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 28

The standards that I offer are: white, yellow, chocolate, almond, white caramel (my signature flavor), chai, and lemon.

The almond, white caramel, and chai are all basically my white cake with an extra ingredient so they don't really involve a lot of extra stuff to keep on hand.

The lemon is a variation of my yellow cake also.

My most requested flavors are white and chocolate, although the lemon is getting a strong following from a couple of repeat customers.

I have a couple of 'premium' cake flavors that I offer at an extra cost too. Chocolate mocha, Orange, carrot w/cranberries & walnut, and amaretto/peach/pecan. I don't get many orders for them, so I don't usually keep the stuff on hand for these until I need it.

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif
Happy Baking,
Beth

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 28

Thanks and yes it helps alot!!! I appriciate everyone's responses!

pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:

Do you do many wedding cakes??? How do you do the tasting? How many options do they try?

yeah, several in my terms.

the tasting, well that's a different story. I normally have a sample of each flavor of cake either in slices or cupcakes. everyone always seems to want something different. The icing and fillings I keep around always (fresh, of course) in deep square dishes. I let the customer(s) mix and match the flavors until they find the pair that pleases them the most...their "dream" combo if you will. lol - not the most conventional way, I know, but it works for me and my customers have nothing but praise to say about it, so I guess I'll keep doing things that a way unless someone else can help me. suggestions welcome.

I've even been known to have cake cubes on toothpicks that the customer dips the fillings/icing in. kinda like a fondue thing - they like that alot for some reason.

pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 28

I've been considering offering a pineapple filling. do you think it would do well, though?

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 28

I love pineapple..I think it would do great in the warm seasons. Not sure where your located though.

I absolutely Love the idea of the cake cubes! It sounds like it would go over well.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 28

I do the tastings with inverted cupcakes/slices, almost like Possum.

I offer

Butter White (most popular)

Chocolate

Chocolate Mud (Mother's/Father's day faves)

Yellow (rare)

German Chocolate (scratch)

White Chocolate

(ANYTHING ELSE people can come up with)

And, for fillings, there's
buttery almond marshmallow buttercream (the usual fave)

white chocolate mousse

strawberry

pineapple

groom's cake filling

lady baltimore (2nd most requested--holds up great in the heat/humidity)

Those are a few I can think of having done since January.

--Knox--

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 28

Thinking you could incorperate the pineapple with a tropical flavor of some kind. Oh my god That would go over so well I think. I'm craving pineapple now!!

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 28

Knox those sound so good. I'm getting the idea that everyone has at least 5 on the average. Now if I can Nail down some recipes and perfect them I'll be good.

pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:

Thinking you could incorperate the pineapple with a tropical flavor of some kind. Oh my god That would go over so well I think. I'm craving pineapple now!!

Imageomg spotty, you might be on to something there! tropical.... you could do like a pina coloda or somthing!Imageooooo, there are so many variations!

your right, that would be really nice to have for the summer season!Imageaaahhhhhh! I've got to get busy!

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 28

french vanilla cake, pineapple filling, coconut icing...to die for.

pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie1583

french vanilla cake, pineapple filling, coconut icing...to die for.

oooo, good combo - thanks Kellie....bunches! icon_smile.gif

pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #20 of 28

sorry spotty, I've kinda runImageall over your post. that wasn't my intention.Image

***oh, forgot to add that I do a cherry icing and filling....I forgot because it sales mainly in and around Christmas time. it's my "cordial cherry special". I always give out my home chocolate-covered cherries with it.

spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:02pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkopossum

sorry spotty, I've kinda runImageall over your post. that wasn't my intention.Image

***oh, forgot to add that I do a cherry icing and filling....I forgot because it sales mainly in and around Christmas time. it's my "cordial cherry special". I always give out my home chocolate-covered cherries with it.

Ok the cherry icing and filling sound yummy! And you have been stomping all over me alot lately! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
What's up with that? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif
You trying to get rid of me?? icon_cry.gif
LOL...I crack myself up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think I need sleep!! icon_mad.gif

I love all your smiley faces. I want some icon_rolleyes.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:17am
post #22 of 28

For me, I only offer the flavors I have tried and know are awesome and reliable. For now that's 5 cake flavors, and 4 filling flavors. I will try new flavors at someone's request--like coconut, carrot, etc. I haven't found a lot of good filling flavors yet, but I am on the lookout. I will add to the list as I find more great flavors.

spottydog Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 10:01am
post #23 of 28

Thanks leta. icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 10:24am
post #24 of 28

Too many icon_lol.gif ! I don't know, I'd have to look at my website, but I think I offer around 6 or so for birthdays and weddings, chocolate and vanilla are the most requested. I also do 'plain' cakes (dessert type ones) at a set price for all of them and there are 11 of those icon_lol.gif ! Fillings, I offer preserves, buttercream (lots of variations), whipped cream, ganache, pudding (lots of different flavours). I also do lots of different flavour cupcakes. muffins, cheesecakes, cookies, pies, bars etc, etc.

pinkopossum Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:53pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkopossum

Ok the cherry icing and filling sound yummy! And you have been stomping all over me alot lately! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
What's up with that? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif
You trying to get rid of me?? icon_cry.gif
LOL...I crack myself up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think I need sleep!! icon_mad.gif

I love all your smiley faces. I want some icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL spotty, sorry!

so, when are you leaving.... kidding! LOL

sue65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue65 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:07pm
post #26 of 28

Hi !! I jus past over you post and I'm very curious about one thing ...

I would like to know if you charge the same price for a simple vanilla or chocolate cake than an other cake with special flavor with special filling ???

If no, how much higher do you charge for those special cakes than regular ones ??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks and have a good day !!! icon_wink.gif

sue65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue65 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 6:47pm
post #27 of 28

Bump

I hope an answer to my question !!!

pinkopossum Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 8:51pm
post #28 of 28

sorry it took so long to respond sue, I just now seen your post. For me, I don't charge extra for any particular flavor cake. I do however, if a filling or ganache on top of BC is ordered. Normally though, I price by what size the cake is. If it's a sheet or layer or tiered. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%