Opinions

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 14 May 2007 , 1:28am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:00am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a groom's cake this coming weekend like a belt buckle. Its going to be a flat sheet (with the shape of the buckle) without filling. I quoted $3/serving thinking "buttercream" but then I was studying the design and wondering if I should do it in fondant...or maybe ice in buttercream and do accents in fondant? Or should I just pipe it all? I was thinking to get the pewter accents I should make the pieces in fondant and airbrush them seperately.

I can't believe I did not establish whether or not this was going to be fondant or buttercream...duh...I guess for sheet cakes, fondant didn't even cross my mind. But I do want to make it nice.

Any ideas of which I should do, or maybe what parts I could do in BC and what parts in fondant? Some of the enamel should probably be fondant and then handpainted....not only that but how do I get that glossy enamel look?

TIA!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

(Oops here is the link: http://www.ironworker.com/ccp51/media/images/product_detail/hanging-iron-enameled.jpg )

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:18am
post #2 of 6

I think i would do it as a BCT or chocolate transfer. Get it done ahead and just slap it on the sheet.

Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #3 of 6

Hmmm...well I don't want the design to be flat, I want it somewhat 3D like the belt buckle.

Lindseyr6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindseyr6 Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #4 of 6

i think you should do it in whatever way would be easiest for you. Ice the thng in buttercream and make the buckle accents in fondant sounds easier then doing all fondant or piping the whole buckle, plus a fondant buckle would give you the definition. Have you thought about using dragees? They are kind of expensive, i think, but for the belt buckle they would add a really nice touch and give it that country buckle feel (im just assuming this is sort of a western belt buckle, if not then oh well they still would look cool)

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #5 of 6

OK.....What if...

you piped the buildings and all the back round stuff or even did them as a FBCT for the whole top of the sheet cake and then did the man, steel beams, and wording as a choc. transfer and set them up on a few sugar cubes for dimention??

Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

OK.....What if...

you piped the buildings and all the back round stuff or even did them as a FBCT for the whole top of the sheet cake and then did the man, steel beams, and wording as a choc. transfer and set them up on a few sugar cubes for dimention??

That's a good idea...I went and studied the photo more and noticed the background looks almost like that mother-of-pearl stuff...so I wonder if I iced the cake blue and airbrushed it pearl....and then maybe even laid all the decos on it as fondant? I'm thinking that might even be easier and save time...you think? That way it might be easier to shade the steel parts seperately without messing up the pearlized background?

Also can anyone tell me how I can get the handpainted colored parts to look glossy like enamel paint?

Lastly if I use lemon extract to airbrush with, as long as I'm not airbrushing real heavy, it shouldn't flavor the icing too bad should it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%