Bad Day! I Hate The New Crisco!

Decorating By fourangelsmommie Updated 17 May 2007 , 12:05am by mkolmar

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:29pm
post #31 of 50

EVERYONE HAS ME SCARRED icon_sad.gif
I STILL HAVE ENOUGH CRISCO LEFT FOR A FEW MORE BATCHES OF ICING. I DONT WANT TO GO OUT AND BUY THE NEW CRISCO.
icon_cry.gif

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:30pm
post #32 of 50

Oh no !! I have not been on line in a while, and this is the first I have heard of the horror's of the 'improved" Crisco - Once again this site saves me from disaster - just finishing up the old Crisco's I had (I usually keep a back up) now will have to look carefully to see if I can find any non-improved stock that may be left!

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #33 of 50

Ohhhh......I feel so bad. I did seven cakes for family thing this weekend. My mom came to help and she baked and did all the mixing of the frosting. The frosting wasnt turning out, we thought it was just her. I bet we had the new crisco because she had just bought it at the store that day. I will have to call her and tell her. It will make both of us feel better. Thanks for posting this.

Mara

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #34 of 50

And here I have 2 large cans of "old" Crisco sitting in my pantry that I will never use (I've converted to Sweetex)...

Oh the irony.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:45pm
post #35 of 50

holy cow that's not good! i just bought a huge can of the new one. running to ShopRite to return it.

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:12am
post #36 of 50

I talked to my mom, we did have the new crisco. I email the company to see if the old type will be made and to complain that the new stuff is bad for buttercream. I havent heard back.

I think everyone should email them. lol.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:26pm
post #37 of 50

I am one who hasn't had the first bit of trouble with it. You all can send yours to me, I'll use it up! icon_wink.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:06pm
post #38 of 50

I FOUND A TREASURE TODAY!!!!!!!

Every store I go to I look for the "old" Crisco. I haven't had any luck until today. I was literally on my hands and knees digging into the back of the store shelf checking each label for transfats. The very last one in the back was the "good" stuff. The checkout lady must have thought I was crazy as I explained why that can was a treasure to me icon_lol.gif .

I mentioned earlier that I e-mailed Crisco (on Sunday). They replied through a phone call thumbs_up.gif . I wasn't home so she left a message and said she was sending my e-mail to their "quality control" dept. She explained that the new 0 transfat Crisco had been packaged in the "old style" label and that it does refect that it has 0 transfats on the nutrition label. She was really sweet about it all. Now I'll wait to hear from "quality control". thumbs_up.gif

Quadcrew ~ what's your recipe????? icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:20pm
post #39 of 50

Here it is~

Snow white buttercream

2/3 cup water
4 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
12 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1-1/4 cups shortening
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Clear Almond Extract

Directions
Combine water and meringue powder; whip at high speed until peaks form. Add 4 cups of sugar, one cup at a time, beating after each addition at low speed. Alternately add shortening and remainder of sugar. Add salt and flavorings; beat at low speed until smooth.
Recipe may be doubled or cut in half; however, if cut in half, yield is only 3-1/2 cups.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #40 of 50

oooooh Thanks Quadcrew ~ I bet the Meringue Powder helps hold it together better thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:44pm
post #41 of 50

I edited the recipe, I forgot the almond extract. icon_redface.gif You can use different flavorings also - I sometimes use all vanilla, or all butter flavoring too. (instead of the mixture of vanilla/almond)

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:09pm
post #42 of 50

A little off topic, but do those of you that use almond extract in your frosting worry about food alergies? Will people who are alergic to nuts like almonds have a reaction to your frosting? I have no idea if almond extract even has almonds in it.

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:31pm
post #43 of 50

I do NOT bake for anyone with nut allergies. That is up to THEM to know.

BrandisBaked Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:40pm
post #44 of 50

Imitation Almond extract is not from nuts.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:29am
post #45 of 50

Ditto to all of the crisco problems. Did the same thing...old label...same new ingredients. Delivered a cake 2 weeks ago, most of it was in the box by the time I got there, and then it totally destructed when it got home to the client! (I cried) I have adjusted the recipe to no avail. I bought some store brand shortening, same problems...its SUPER soft. Had the border slide right off the side of the cake today! Sigh....I hate to think of how much a 50lb tub of high ratio would cost me in shipping alone!!
I should also note, that I noticed the people who aren't having trouble with the new stuff have at least 8-10 cups of sugar per batch. My recipe produces a high yield, and only calls for 4 cups. Its a very mild, buttery tasting, french buttercream, not the sweet kind. People buy my cakes specifically for the icing icon_sad.gif I will have to try the WalMart brand next, and keep my fingers crossed. I hate to think that the Crisco people ruined a recipe that we have used for over 30 years!!

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:40am
post #46 of 50

Suzmazza, would you mind sharing your bc recipe?

My local cake store ordered me 50lbs. of Alpine. So now I have TONS of shortening! This whole Crisco things BITES!

Julie

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:49am
post #47 of 50

I was delivering a cake Saturday made with the new Crisco and it started to buckle on the side. I was able to push the side back, and after the cake was settled on the table it was fine. I did notice that the icing did not crust as well. I will head to Walmart and try theirs. I will also get high ratio from the cake supply for wedding cakes.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:55am
post #48 of 50

How much do you pay for Sweetex? The icing base and sweetex were like $10 each for a little tub! I paid $40 for 4lbs of black fondant. Is this par or is my little place ripping me off?

BrandisBaked Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:13am
post #49 of 50

I pay just under $50 for 50 lb. of Sweetex.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #50 of 50

I don't have sweetex or alpine in our area *sigh* I guess I'll have to either order it online or go to wally world to pick up some of their kind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%