Bad Day! I Hate The New Crisco!

Decorating By fourangelsmommie Updated 17 May 2007 , 12:05am by mkolmar

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 50

UGH! I am so MAD! icon_mad.gif

I had 2 cakes due this afternoon. The first one is my Wizard of Oz cake and the second one is my chocolate overload cake which is basketweaved and has roses on top.

Well, I finished both cakes this morning and drove them to where I work so the customers could pick them up. Well, the first lady just called to say she lives just 4 miles down the road and by the time she got home, the wizard of oz cake had slid off the contact paper about 1 inch. She said she just took it and pushed it back on the cakeboard and it was ok. That upset me. At least the cake was ok, but it shouldn't have slid considering I had dowelled it and placed a thin coat of icing on the bottom of the cake so it would hopefully stick to the contact paper.

Well, what has really ticked me off was that after I brought the second cake into work and looked at it, one whole side of my basketweave was laying on the cakeboard. IT SLID off my cake! tapedshut.gif Crisco!

I used meringue powder in the bc, almost no liquid other than flavorings, and even added extra ps to make it stiff consistancy. Had no problems this morning when I basket weaved it.

Of course, I didn't bring any bags, tips, extra bc, anything with me because it was fine when I left my house. (And I keep my ac on constantly in my house and car). So, I had to go back home, make up some more chocolate bc after I realized I had used all of it this morning, grab my bags and tips, and run back here to work. I then scrapped off all the icing on the sides, and re-basket weaved the whole thing. Added another dowell thru the center so hopefully IT doesn't slide off the cake board, and put the whole thing in the fridge.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this was on a big cake board, and I slid the cake over and had to partially remove the contact paper and the gift wrap paper and cut down the foam core I used for the board so the customer can put the darn thing in the fridge. Otherwise, it wouldn't fit unless she has some monster fridge.

WHY did Crisco have to change? I have had more complaints over the consistency and texture of the bc now. Hi Ratio shortening, here I come!
UGH!

49 replies
MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 50

You and me both! I finally gave in and bought a can of the wal-mart shortening and I am going to try it tonight! If it works and I don't taste and see a difference - I am going to all of the Wal-marts in my area and buy EVERY LAST STINKING CAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 50

I feel your pain. I did a Strawberry Shortcake Cake today for a 3 year old's birthday party. I added some cornstarch like several people on here recommended and added VERY little liquid (flavorings only). That was the softest icing I have ever made. I hope everything went well after I delivered it since it is supposed to be 85 today!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 50

I am so sorry! I wish I could wave my magic wand and fix your cakes AND the problem with Crisco.

I tried the Piggly Wiggly brand this weekend and as far as I can tell, it is working beautifully. I made a cake for my Fondant and Gumpaste class so the cake is covered with fondant. I'm going to check it again with just a buttercream cake.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 50

This makes me so believe in high-ratio shortening. Off to order more.

tonyah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyah Posted 12 May 2007 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 50

I found some of the old 'unimproved' at Piggly Wiggly and snatched up a big can. Of course the humidity was horrible today but at least it wasn't falling off (just wouldn't smooth)

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 13 May 2007 , 6:50am
post #7 of 50

I suppose that I shouldn't rub it in that my Dad found 48 6# containers of "Crisco Classic" icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif After hearing the horror stories from everyone on the boards here along with my own disasters, he stocked up for Ma's cookie baking and my cake baking...

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 50

After reading so many negative posts on the Transfat Crisco I have bought the last cans of the "old" Crisco at every store I went to. I am now completely out and I dread buying the new. But, the last 2 containers of the "old" Crisco resulted in some of the worst icing I've ever made. I had to use 1/2 the amount of water that I normally use and it was still too soft. I wonder if that was the new Crisco packaged in the old container icon_confused.gif I've never had this much trouble with icing even in humid and rainy weather.

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 50

I TOTALY AGAREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh you know how hard it is to make butter cream roses whit that tapedshut.gif i can belive how much there is a diffrence!!!!!!!!!!!!! girrr

yh9080 Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 50

Steady2Hands - You probably did have the 0 Transfat Crisco I thought I had found some of the old at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago since it was in the old packaging. I happened to check the label for transfat and it was 0! So be careful before you buy the old packaging.

Steady2Hands Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 50

yh9080 ~ I just dug my container out of the garbage to check it out and sure enough it has 0 trans fat icon_mad.gif . I sent Crisco an email earlier to complain about the results cake decorators are having. Hopefully they'll respond.

Thank you for mentioning the label. Now I know why my icing has been so awful lately.

yh9080 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:03am
post #12 of 50

Steady2Hands - I was afraid that you had the new stuff. I was about to buy 6 cans of the stuff and just happened to check the label. I am going to e-mail Crisco too about the problems we are having.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #13 of 50

I purchased 2 small cans of the hi-ratio shortening and used it today to make up my bc. What a difference! I still added meringue powder because it is so humid here, but it was so smooth and creamy. Tasted much better than the 'new improved crisco', and texture wise, it was just better than the old bc.

No more crisco for me. 50 lb tubs of Hi-ratio shortening from now on. icon_lol.gif

yh9080 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:34am
post #14 of 50

fourangelsmommie - where did you buy the small cans of hi-ratio shortening? I'm looking for some myself.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:41am
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Ratio shortening, here I come!
UGH!

[/quote]

ME TOO! Taught at the local high school this week and it was AWFUL! Wanted to teach them the Melvira Method of smoothing...well FORGET THAT! We did well to get it to stay on the cake!!

Beth in KY

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:46am
post #16 of 50

There are so many threads copmlaining about the "new Crisco"... just buy some Sweetex and be done with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Angellcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angellcakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:47am
post #17 of 50

yh9080~ Thanks for the heads up about the new Crisco with the old labels. I bought two cans. Now I know not to use it!

Have any of you tried Cakepro's Buttercream w/ Trans Fat-Free Crisco? I tried it today and still seemed to have trouble. It is suppose to work with the new Crisco, so maybe I did something else wrong.

One more thing. I keep reading about hi-ratio shortening. What is it and where do you buy it? I am very new at decorating. So, I apologize for the silly questions!

BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:51am
post #18 of 50

I get my Sweetex (hi-ratio shortening) from Cash & Carry (a.k.a. Smart & Final). They don't keep it in my local store, but they special order it for me.

lizbuth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbuth Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:50am
post #19 of 50

Okay, I just checked my "Old Crisco" and saw that it contains 1.5 grams of trans fat. The new Crisco that I bought (which is the exact same packaging) has 0 grams trans fat.

Is this the same as everyone else on here....am I going to have a problem with my new container? I am making my own wedding cake next month!! What am I going to do? HELP!!

Steady2Hands Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:06am
post #20 of 50

Lizbuth ~ I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's what happened to me. I was buying all the "old" labeled cans of Crisco I could find and didn't realize until yesterday (thanks to yh9080 thumbs_up.gif ) that it had 0 transfat. You might want to make some and start practicing and experimenting before your wedding. Or do like Brandisbaked suggests and just "buy some Sweetex and be done with it." icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to try to find some in my area or at least someone who might special order it for me.

bethola Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #21 of 50

We don't HAVE Sweetex in Madisonville KY. I'm going to go to WalMart and check out their brand. But, I'm going to READ, READ, READ the labels!!

Beth in KY

BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #22 of 50

Do you have a Sysco or FSA? Or even a bakery that might sell you some? As a last resort, you can order it online...

I will never use regular shortening in my baking/icings again.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:36pm
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

We don't HAVE Sweetex in Madisonville KY. I'm going to go to WalMart and check out their brand. But, I'm going to READ, READ, READ the labels!!

Beth in KY

Hey Beth! How are ya doing girl?? If you find something that works well, be sure the let me know!! The only places I've seen Sweetex and Alpine is to order them on-line. icon_cry.gif

bethola Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #24 of 50

Hey denise! I'll let you know! I'm heading out now! Bet you're gearin' up for school, huh?

Beth in Madisonville

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #25 of 50

I have always used the Walmart brand shortening and have never had a problem with it. I agree with Brandisbaked though...we all need to get over it and switch what you use!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #26 of 50

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "new" Crisco? I haven't had to purchase any in quite some time, but will have to when I do a very large cake in July for 350-400 people.........what does or doesn't it do? I love crusting bc icing.........

ddmckinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddmckinney Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:21pm
post #27 of 50

I have switched to the Walmart brand, and it is working fine. No problems with taste or texture. Hope this helps.

BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:22pm
post #28 of 50

They reformulated Crisco so that it has no trans fat. Many people have complained that icing made with the "new" Crisco doesn't hold up as well. Although, others say they don't notice any difference.

bethola Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:23pm
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

I love crusting bc icing

Then MY suggestion would be to NOT use the "New" Crisco! Too many air bubbles...not enough crusting...too fluffy for some designs.

Beth in KY

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:26pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillyCakes

You and me both! I finally gave in and bought a can of the wal-mart shortening and I am going to try it tonight! If it works and I don't taste and see a difference - I am going to all of the Wal-marts in my area and buy EVERY LAST STINKING CAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried the Walmart version, and it works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%