Does Anyone Else Feel Inferior?

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 21 May 2007 , 7:58pm by beachcakes

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 13 May 2007 , 6:54pm
post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by doescakestoo

All the time. One of the reasons I haven't posted any pix yet. But I do know that I am willing to learn all that I can. So I stick it out here and learn.

Post your pics, silly! I'm just a Mom wanting to make cakes/cookies for her kids (have a 13 yr old, 2 yr old, 8 month old)...With these young 'uns, I've got many cupcakes/cakes/ cookies ahead of me!

My point is that it's fun to see cakes from everybody's skill level! Nobody knows EVERYTHING...maybe you'll even inspire one of the pro's with one of your idea's!

I absolutely Love reading/learning even technical things from "Doug" that I may not ever use, since I'm not in the business...but, maybe I'll use some of it one day! It's WONDERFUL of him to help and share with everone regardless of skill level, as many people do on this site.

I guarantee that you could teach me plenty, as I do not plan to take any classes or anything...too busy with diapers and such! HA!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:01pm
post #32 of 96

I think we all have ways we want to improve! I know I see ALOT of way cool stuff on here and I'm like "Wow I wish my work were that precise", or "I wish I could make gumpaste flowers", etc. We all have goals to shoot at. I'm sure even Nick Lodge and Colette Peters are working to try new things, learn new things, etc. Just enjoy the craft and whenever you get to feeling inferior, pull out photos of cakes you did last year and see yourself improve! The more you do, the better you get. And its fun, too!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:16pm
post #33 of 96

There was a looooong thread from a while back called "Post your worst cake" that went on for pages and pages. It was so funny! You wouldn't believe some of the amazing decorators here and the disaster cake pictures they posted! It was great to see how human everyone really is.

I look for the thread so I could post a link here, but I can't find it. icon_sad.gif

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #34 of 96

I do quite often but with that said, I love CC! There are tons of CCers better then me but I am constantly learning something new because of CC. I feel so lucky to have stumbled onto this website!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:35pm
post #35 of 96

ok....got two more allegories for all ya all.

1) consider your home -- we all want to be the carpenter who makes the very beautiful, finely finished, elegant wood furniture and kitchen cabinets. --- BUT --- wouldn't be a house to put them in if it weren't for the carpenter who did all the framing out of the house (the rough carpenter) --- so your cakes are a little "rough" -- they're needed too

-------------

and #2 is about posting pics:

think of CC as the world's largest refrigerator -- you know the place where the family art gallery hangs -- all of it no matter how pretty how ugly how professional how amateurish -- it's all beautiful cause:

It's family!

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #36 of 96

I love looking at the beautiful cakes on this site but feel like I will never get to the level as some of these truly talented artists. I do enjoy making cakes, but feel self conscious about posting pics of my cakes to be compared to many who have come before....of course I have been making these cakes for less than a year and have a long way to go yet.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:52pm
post #37 of 96

I'm right there with you. After looking at the gorgeous cakes on this site, I sometimes feel like I should just throw in the towel. But I have come a long way in the past year and I know I'll keep improving, thanks to all the wonderful CCers who are willing to share their knowledge and experience!!
And when I get feeling too bad, I send some cake pics to my family, especially my grandma...they always make me feel like the best decorator in the world!!

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #38 of 96

We all start in the same place with the same ingredients.

And I'm officially signing up for Doug's fan club!! icon_biggrin.gif

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:09pm
post #39 of 96

I feel like that everytime I log in. I am always so amazed at what I see here.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:14pm
post #40 of 96

Well I'm sooo glad I posted this thread and even more thrilled to know I'm not the only one. I should clarify that I perhaps should have rephrased the thread -- not that I feel inferior, but rather I have a vision for my work which is that of some of the "top names" here on CC -- those are the techniques I want to master, yet when I do them it looks like a small child did them! icon_surprised.gif Frustrating!!! icon_confused.gif And it's my own frustration with myself, not my comparison of my work to others (although that doesn't help either!) icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

You all are very right -- here on CC we learn from each other and inspire each other and have fun doing it! thumbs_up.gif I get PMs and emails all the time from other CCers asking "how did you do this" and "I read where you said how to do this, I have a question..." etc. etc. It rocks my world to help others if I'm able to! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess that's what was on my mind, my own frustration at myself. I don't learn things easily and I go through this phase with everything I do -- it seems like I'll never learn or perfect something then Wham-O, there it is! icon_lol.gif I haven't reached that point in my cakes yet. But as a wise man once wrote -- "Keep on Cakin'"! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:22pm
post #41 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCake13

And I'm officially signing up for Doug's fan club!! icon_biggrin.gif

LOL!!

oh go on with ya!

does this mean I won't need to run the A/C this summer because all ya all will be fanning me with cakeboards? (just no mooning please)

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:43pm
post #42 of 96

For the love of God...I'm sitting here reading these posts and then look at BobWonderBuns pix and say, "Self, if SHE feels inferior with the look of her cakes, what about the rest of us???" Your cakes are, well, WONDERBUNFUL. We can't all be Supermodels (sigh), we can't all be thin (double sigh) and we can't all be Doug (triple sigh w/ a tear). icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #43 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupcakemom

For the love of God...I'm sitting here reading these posts and then look at BobWonderBuns pix and say, "Self, if SHE feels inferior with the look of her cakes, what about the rest of us???" Your cakes are, well, WONDERBUNFUL. We can't all be Supermodels (sigh), we can't all be thin (double sigh) and we can't all be Doug (triple sigh w/ a tear). icon_lol.gif

ha ha ha ha ha!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Well thank you, you're more than kind! I especially like the quote about the supermodels because I've never been a size 6! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif With every cake I do I shoot for the stars and based on my beginning porfolio, I get a lot closer with every cake, but still there's still so much more to learn... icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:51pm
post #44 of 96

I feel exactly the same way bobwonderbuns!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:54pm
post #45 of 96

The day we STOP learning is the day we die.

DBliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DBliss Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:06pm
post #46 of 96

I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one. The first picture I posted--my husband made me post it. He was excited, I was shaking and a nervous wreck. The people I make them for love them, but like everyone else has said they don't know any better. I, also, have a hard time because I would like to do other things, but when they only want a cake for 20-30 people they aren't going to want to pay for a stacked cake that feeds 50-60 (I get that a lot).

Anyways, I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:10pm
post #47 of 96

Perhaps I'm ignorant... but I never feel inferior. When I see a cake that looks simply amazing, I think "Hey, I bet I could do that!" - and I try. And if it comes out less than perfect, I just think I put my own "spin" on it (and not that it's any worse). I push myself further than I think I can go, and that's how I get better - and I constantly amaze myself when I am able to pull things off that I've never tried before.

Meg828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg828 Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:14pm
post #48 of 96

The cakes on this site inspire me. There are some days though that I feel like throwing up my spatula and stopping when something doesn't work out, then I just give myself some time then keep on decorating. The people here on CC are amazing and supportive. Thanks everyone!!!

DBliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DBliss Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:18pm
post #49 of 96

I should have also added that because of this site, I have grown so much. I have learned new things, how to do old things better, and have gotten so many great ideas. I am so thankful I accidently found this site one night when I was looking for some ideas. I am doing things now I never would have attempted before.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:17am
post #50 of 96

Great thread! And it was right on time, I haven't posted any pictures lately because of the intimidation factor, but I will post now. I've only been decorating for about a year and am still very much a hobbyist, but I absolutely love it! My family and friends are so impressed with my "beginner" skills and I've learned so much here. Thanks all who have helped and contributed to my "addiction" I will continue to learn and practice my skills. My favorite "cake" saying now is "there's a lesson in every cake!"

(I've just uploaded some pix and will post them in the gallery icon_biggrin.gif )

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #51 of 96

Almost Daily!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:45pm
post #52 of 96

The beauty of this site is that all decorators from newbies to experienced, hobbiests to professionals can all come here to share photos, ideas, ask and answer questions. I am always in awe of some of the talent here, but it does not make me feel inferior, it is something to strive for. I can do so much more today than I could a year ago or even 6 months ago. This is due to all of the members helping me on cc, newbies and professionals! Everyone here is a valuable member...no matter what your skill level is.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:46pm
post #53 of 96

I feel like it will be a million light years before I even get close to decorating cakes like some of you guys!!!

(Ummm, bobwonderbuns, no need to worry, your cakes are great!! icon_lol.gif )

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:59pm
post #54 of 96

Someone on here once made the comment,"There ARE no "perfect" cakes,even for the professionals,.. they just know how to hide their mistakes" that has made me feel A LOT better and let me relax(a bit) icon_razz.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:14am
post #55 of 96

I feel my cakes look like kindergarten compared to the wonderful talent on this site. I have learned so much by the talented decorators and bakers here. I would not have tried all the things I have if it weren't for this site. I love looking at all the beautiful cakes, cookies etc.

My customers think my cakes are great, but they don't know about CC. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #56 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

I feel like it will be a million light years before I even get close to decorating cakes like some of you guys!!!

(Ummm, bobwonderbuns, no need to worry, your cakes are great!! icon_lol.gif )

Your cakes are great! I was browsing your gallery and I was going to comment on your cute hamburger cake, but you dont have the comments turned on! Dont you want comments??

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:29am
post #57 of 96

Yep you betcha, uh-huh. Fer sure!! ESPECIALLY if ya'll come from a "Walmart" cake decorator background as I do.
Truth be told, when I first came to this site, I did feel kinda like on the fringe, that I really didn't belong. Mostly because of the harangueing that "walmart" decorators got in general. Never personal mind you, but generally. But as the years have progressed (yeah I guess I've been here for a coupla years now). I've been accepted a little bit more. That's why it tickles me ta death when anyone comments on my photos or answers my posts and stuff like that. Makes me feel part of the group.
That's why I keep posting pics and answering posts and writing my own posts and asking my own questions. I (this is my opinion so don't shoot me) will not ever be in the "elite" decorator group. But I won't stop either. I'm kinda like the little kid marchin down the sidewalk in cadence with the band in a parade. I'm not part of the band but there's nothing to keep me from marching along anyway.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #58 of 96

I go through periods of self loathing after a "failed" attempt to copy someone's masterpiece. THEN, I get over it and try again. I have learned more in a year on CC than I would have anywhere. I take something new every day and when the time is right, give it a whirl. What I do find is that when I'm looking for some pure, sock it to me, kick butt comments, I send pictures to those who DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT BAKING or my family. icon_lol.gif They all think I'm amazing, when here I'm just average!

What I have learned is that we all fit in somewhere. The newbies look at the more seasoned for inspiration, the more seasoned look at the semi-pros for encouragement, and the pros look at us, give us all support, and never forgot they were once one of us. I love it here. I love that there are so many levels, and we can all talk about our triumphs, tribulations, and failures together.

On another note, where do we sign up for Doug's fan club? icon_biggrin.gif

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:06am
post #59 of 96

Oh yeah! I think that I am doing great and making serious progress - and that I am ready to start doing this for other people than just my family and my office girls...and then I look on here....slam bang down goes that self esteem!! I know I just need to practice more and I will get there...I just wish it could all come by osmosis -- read enough books, see enough sites... One thing that I would love is if people would put the directions for their cakes on the site as well, in case any of us want to try them out.

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #60 of 96

I often feel like I just can't compete, but then friends and family and clients re-affirm my belief that what I've made is special. Bobwonderbuns...I wanted to thank you. A few days ago, you were one of the few who answered my post looking for help on lettering. I took your advice exactly and was so happy with the results (it's the blue ordination cake in my photos) As many times as you might feel inadequate looking at someone else pictures, is probably the same number of times you inspire someone else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%