Have You Ever Completed A...

Decorating By hillmn Updated 12 May 2007 , 5:03am by hillmn

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:15am
post #1 of 5

project that you were so excited to try and then ended up throwing it all away? I was so excited to make cupcakes tonight for my first attempt at a cupcake bouquet. I made lemon cupcakes with raspberry lemon buttercream (not from CC). I made the buttercream because the recipe looked so good. I tried it and I wasn't to excited about it but thought I would still give it a try on the cupcakes. Well, while frosting the cupcakes the smell of the buttercream made me nauseous and it left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth (I think it was the LorAnn Raspberry flavoring). I was so bummed that I threw away all of my frosted cupcakes. Tomorrow I will stick with the dependable, Devils Food and Cream Cheese buttercream.

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:29am
post #2 of 5

Awww, that sucks. It's terrible when a recipe sounds good but is terrible.

The first time I ever made the Barefoot Contessa Outrageous Brownies I made a mistake reading the recipe and completely ruined a 12x18 pan of brownies. Straight into the trash. Owwww, it was painful!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:47am
post #3 of 5

Sorry to hear that. Since my hubby and I hate to waste food, I know I would have just removed the frosting and played with it or saved it for when I had more time to play with it to make it edible and I would have used a different frosting for the cupcakes. Hope your next batch works out better for you.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:47am
post #4 of 5

How sad for both of you! I hate throwing away food. icon_sad.gif

I love the lemon cake, raspberry buttercream combo. I wouldn't give up on trying it again sometime. Instead of using Lorann oil, try pureeing raspberries, straining them, and mixing the puree into your buttercream. I bet that would be really yummy.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 12 May 2007 , 5:03am
post #5 of 5

Yep, I think it was the not so natural raspberry taste that was bothering me. Next time I will try raspberry puree and real lemon juice. I think I saw a recipe like that on CC. Also, I should not have strayed from the recipes on CC. I have learned my lesson.

I would have scraped off the frosting but the smell and taste was on the edges of the cupcake liners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%