I Haven't Done This In A Long Time But Need Your Advice!!!

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 12 May 2007 , 2:23pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #1 of 32

I want to ditch this cake so bad!! Everything about it I hate. It goes to it's rightful owners tomorrow but I am not sure I am satisfied with how it looks...Please tell me if you were the recipient of this cake would you be satisfied or SHOULD I just start over tonight? Please help need your honest opinions!! The animals are freehand (not sure I should of done that at all) and it is for a boy so I had to make it look a little more boyish.

Critisism needed
please don't sugar coat icon_biggrin.gif I promise I can take it..

Thanks

Start over or just let it go
LL

31 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:18am
post #2 of 32

I don't say this often, but I...honestly...have no idea what you're talking about. I scrolled down to the picture before I read your post, and I thought "how cute!". They're going to love it. Relax and spend Friday night with a margarita icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:20am
post #3 of 32

You've got to be kidding me!! THAT'S ADORABLE!! I think you did a fabulous job! I'm sure they will be very pleased with this cake!

-Rezzy

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:20am
post #4 of 32

I absolutely LOVE IT! It's adorable.

Rachel

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:23am
post #5 of 32

I guess what I am referring to with this one is the lines. Didn't matter what I did they still went crooked AND I couldn't seem to get the right colors, they are off from the invitation. That is what I should of said. Do you all have any advice on how to keep them straight?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:24am
post #6 of 32

Breathe deeply and repeat after me. "It's good enough."

They won't notice the minor waviness of the lines.

If I were doing it, I would probably do fondant cutout lines for super-straight lines, but I'm a self-confessed fondant addict. Your cake looks great. Smile. icon_biggrin.gif

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:15am
post #7 of 32

The cake is very cute! I love it! You've done a great job on it.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:16am
post #8 of 32

i just just saved that pic to my pc...so i think its fine as is. dont do anything o it except sell it. it is perfect as is. your free hand animals are adorable,.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:06am
post #9 of 32

Your cake looks fantastic as is, matches the invitation perfectly. But I'll give you a little tip I found to help me make straight lines on the side of a cake is to take a thin plastic 12" ruler, hold it straight and level on the cake board and make a line with the thin edge of the ruler all the way up, pipe over it with icing and you're good to go. Hope this makes sense and helps.
Almost forgot to say, no need to start over, it's just right.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #10 of 32

I love this cake and think it is adorable! I would be very satisfied if I received this cake, and thrilled if I could make it look so good!

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:15am
post #11 of 32

I thank you ALL for your comments and help! I had a hard time with this cake from the beginning and I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way icon_sad.gif (it spilt evenly down the middle when I moved it to the board to start out with icon_sad.gif ) Freehanding characters that you think will be easy is just dreaming lol I thought "oh I can do this, I dont have to do a FBCT....made me a nervous wreck the whole time. In fact I had to step away every 10 minutes or so..I will be taking your tip to heart shortcake, I just wish I thought of this before hand because it is just so obvious of a solution icon_sad.gif I just don't think sometimes I guess

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:20am
post #12 of 32

...what the heck....whats wrong with it???? Its absolutley darling!
...go sit down, play witht he kids, have a drink....quit lookin' at it icon_confused.gif
There is nuttin' wrong with it!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!! NO SUGAR HERE!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:23am
post #13 of 32

awwww...this cake is toooooo cute! definitely keep. otherwise, you can always mail it to me. icon_biggrin.gif lol

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:25am
post #14 of 32

The cake is very pretty. I would have never noticed the lines if you hadn't said it. I wouldn't change anything. Great job! thumbs_up.gif

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #15 of 32

I think your cake is fantastic! dont beat your self up! we are our own worst critics! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif mmmmm.....margaritas icon_rolleyes.gif

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #16 of 32

When I first saw the cake I thought it was great. I would be VERY pleased to get this cake.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:42am
post #17 of 32

This is a lovely cake and you have done a great job! Congratulations.

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:12am
post #18 of 32

It is precious! I know they will LOVE it! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:30am
post #19 of 32

" I guess what I am referring to with this one is the lines. Didn't matter what I did they still went crooked AND I couldn't seem to get the right colors, they are off from the invitation."

Your cake is FANTASTIC....... Not to worry about the lines being a little "wavy".... it is whimsical...let it go....... they will LOVE IT !

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:41am
post #20 of 32

Have you been sniffing nail polish? icon_lol.gif

Your cake is adorable thumbs_up.gif

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:45am
post #21 of 32

This is a beautiful cake and everyone will love it!!!! I am always amazed at how critical we are of our cakes, when almost everyone else on the planet is in awe when they see the finished product!!!

I wish I could freehand animals like that. You are a brave lady ~ I would have done the buttercream transfer!!!

Looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

<M>

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:57am
post #22 of 32

I think you did a great job and so will your client.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:05pm
post #23 of 32

Christi....Step away from the cake. Take a breath. You are over thinking this. (an issue often seen here on CC). Your cake is adorable. You should be proud. I'm sure they will love the cake. thumbs_up.gif

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:13pm
post #24 of 32

You did a wonderful job of mimicing the cake.
When you present it, just say the invitations had a problem making the lines wavy enough to match the cake, but all in all...it's super!!!

(PS... another way to try for the straight as someone mentioned the ruler, is a comb to map the lines before piping, but I still think it's super the way it is.)

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:26pm
post #25 of 32

OK first off... where are the magaritas?! icon_lol.gif

Secondly, the only reason that we can notice the line not being "perfect" is because we DO cakes, the client is only going to see a very lovely cake and wonder "how did she get it to match PERFECTLY?"

I think it is sooo cute and would love to recieve it. DO NOT, and I repeat, do not redo it! icon_biggrin.gif

(edited to say "cute" not "cust" icon_rolleyes.gif )

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:28pm
post #26 of 32

I'll take mine shaken with salt please! Don't tell me I missed them?

You did a great job!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:47pm
post #27 of 32

Your cake looks WONDERFUL!!! you did a outstanding job on it!! thumbs_up.gif .

I also agree with the other posts, no need to redo it, the cake is beautiful just like it is.

Sharon

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:51pm
post #28 of 32

That cake (as everyone has attested to!) is just adorable!!

Straight lines.....what I use is a cheapo laser level ($10 - walmart) It works like a charm. (see the football field cake in my pics) I also use that gadget for keeping the writing on my cakes even too. thumbs_up.gif

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #29 of 32

the cake looks fine to me. with the lines, maybe you were holding the tip too close to the surface??? its helps me when i start to pipe the icing and as i am squeezing i hold the bag up quite a bit higher, it seems to give a better "straight line" if that makes sense.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:21pm
post #30 of 32

I do terrible tracing and planning...I do most stuff fairly freehand unless its a big design in which case I use wax paper and food marker to transfer the outline. I think I do better sometimes throwing something on a cake rather than carefully measuring and planning. When I measure, it just looks like I carefully measured a crooked line. HAHA.

Your cake is VERY VERY cute! If you come back next week and look at your own photo again, you will be like "Ok maybe its not so bad". I would be very happy to get that cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%