Two-Toned Fondant

Decorating By tobycat Updated 11 Jun 2006 , 6:23am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:22am
post #1 of 5

I've been checking out some fondant ties (for father's day) and I've seen striped ties. Anyone know how they get the 2 colors of fondant together looking so seamless? Are they painted or are they actually 2 pieces of colored fondant? If they're two difference pieces of colored fondant, how do they get them together so neatly???

Sarah

4 replies
Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:57am
post #2 of 5

Funny, so glad you posted this, because I was going to post the same question a couple of days ago when I stumbled across a perfectly angled, two-toned fondant stretched over a heart-shaped cake. It was beautiful.

I have seen a demo where they put two different colors of fondant together and then roll with a rolling pin to combine. This heart, however, had a perfectly straight seem and I don't see how that was possible with the rolling method.

Anyone???

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:24am
post #3 of 5

Is it possible it was done with chocolate? I remember seeing a post about this awhile back.

Here is that post I was talking about...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-27213-stripes.html

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

I've never done this with fondant, but I have done it with polymer clay.

I would think that you would roll out your colored fondant very, very thin, and cut it into strips.

Then roll out another piece of fondant very, very thin; brush with water, then lay the colored strips over it as close together as possible, flip over so the stripes are against your rolling mat, and roll the underlying piece of fondant with the rolling pin VERY lightly...just enough pressure to stick them together but not spread it out. Then cut into the tie shape.

I REALLY HOPE that made sense!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 6:23am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneprimalscream

I've never done this with fondant, but I have done it with polymer clay.

I would think that you would roll out your colored fondant very, very thin, and cut it into strips.

Then roll out another piece of fondant very, very thin; brush with water, then lay the colored strips over it as close together as possible, flip over so the stripes are against your rolling mat, and roll the underlying piece of fondant with the rolling pin VERY lightly...just enough pressure to stick them together but not spread it out. Then cut into the tie shape.

I REALLY HOPE that made sense!

This sounds like a good possibility, but I wonder if that would be the answer for a striped tie with so many stripes! icon_eek.gif I'll give it a try though as it sounds very doable and reasonable. Thanks a bunch!

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%