Drinking Straws As Dowel Rods?

Decorating By Miraculous Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm by CakeInfatuation

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #31 of 37

until recently, used straws exclusively, no matter how large or number of tiers and never had a problem. have recently started using the bbq skewers just because they are easy to find and cut all the same length. did have a disaster using the lollipop sticks since they are wrapped paper, thank goodness it was on a small cake that i could repair, they got soggy and collapsed...

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #32 of 37

I use the bubble straws in all of my cakes, no problems at all. I love them, so much easier than the dowels.

MandaBrizown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #33 of 37

I see a lot of you are using straws. I haven't had the guts yet to try it but might soon. One bit of advice I can give is in regards to dowel rods. I used to have a heck of a time cutting them. Then I was at our state fair and there was a vendor selling ratcheting shears. These shears work great! They work just like a ratchet. There is no need to use a lot of pressure to cut with because it moves into gears almost. I believe you can buy them at a hardware store. I hope this helps

[/quote]

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #34 of 37

I've always used straws and never had any problems icon_smile.gif

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:52pm
post #35 of 37

Just went to Florida ICES Day of Sharing yesterday, and they handed out samples of apparently a new product called Poly-Dowels Interior Cake Pillars. They are made in Naples, FL and are shaped like drinking straws but are sturdier and have some internal ridging to stiffen them. They feel stiffer like wood but supposedly cut with scissors.

Obviously I have not tried them yet since I just got them yesterday - but the woman gave out an email address - [email protected] - just thought I'd share this info. She has a 1/4" diameter size and a 3/4" diameter size.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #36 of 37

Duff on "Ace of Cakes" uses the bubble tea straws - you can see them cutting them on a lot of the more recent episodes. Sylvia Weinstock speaks highly of them in her first book, which was written several years ago. Her husband was an engineer and even he approved them!

I recommend them too, for what's it worth. But not drinking straws, bubble tea straws. I get them in packs of 50 for 99cents at an Asian grocery store in Plano, TX. I use them on all party cakes 3 tiers or less. I know they hold up well. On wedding cakes I always use the SPS system - no one wants to cut into an $800 wedding cake and pull out straws!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm
post #37 of 37

I grab straws whenever I find the fatter ones. I've used bubble tea and grocery store drinking straws with the larger opening. Not the really skinny ones because I want more stability. The larger the diameter of the straw, the more stability. Think of shifting, the skinner the straw/skewer/etc, the greater the likelihood that it could shift within the cake. Fatter would have a much more difficult time moving.

I find the straws much easier to cut level and precise. Love them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%