Less Sweet Butter Cream Help

Decorating By hamlove Updated 10 May 2007 , 1:38pm by msladybug

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 10 May 2007 , 7:30am
post #1 of 6

What can I add to make my butter cream less sweet. I use the wilton recipe with crisco, flavor, water, merange powder. Any help would be great.

5 replies
Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:48am
post #2 of 6

You can add salt.
The wilton bc is not the best. Search the recipe section on CC and you will find alternatives. I always add salt to my recipes since I find a lot of them sweet.
The other thing is you can also place an apricot glaze on your cake. You take apricot jam, warm it up, pass it through a sieve and then keep the glaze that is clean of lumps.
Paint it on your cake. It will solidify once it cools and it makes a great crumb coat. But it also give your cake a real tangy flavour which then also cuts the sugar taste of the bc which covers it.
Good luck
Claire

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 6

A pinch of salt is a good secret to cutting the sugary taste of your buttercream.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 6

Try using popcorn salt.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 6

Try the bc dream recipe and use whipping cream for your liquid...I do this and like it much better thumbs_up.gif

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 6

I use buttercream dream recipe here on cc and I just don't add all the powdered sugar. It calls for 2 lbs and I only add about 1.75 lbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%