Chocolate Pudding + Cool Whip = Chocolate Mouse????

Decorating By Fancymcnancy Updated 14 May 2007 , 10:48pm by sugarlove

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 12

Can I take chocolate pudding, add cool whip to it and whip it in my mixer to make a chocolate mousse filling? It sounds to easy to be true...

11 replies
crgsnbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crgsnbrown Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 12

I would love to know this too, and if this doesn't work what would be a super easy chocolate mousse filling ?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 12

No way. It will taste good, but will have the consitency of soup. You cannot whip up cool whip. Now, Rich's Cream tastes just like cool whip and is a product that you whip up yourself - so your idea would work there.

I would recommend whipping up a regular box of chocolate pudding, 2c of heavy cream, and some hersheys syrup. THAT will make a tasty mousse that will stand up as cake filling.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 12

I use a box of vanilla or choc. instant pudding and whisk it together with one cup of milk. Then I add about 1 1/2 cups of cool whip . It turns out great. If I really need to stretch it I add more cool whip and it just tastes really good. I like to use it when I am making parfait cups. Take a frozen pound cake if you need a quick cake with no time to bake ( I always keep one in the freezer and try not to snack on it!) cut that up into squares,My pudding mix and some cherry pie filling and just alternate layers. If it sits over night even better the next day.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 12

I agree with koryAK, I always use a box of instant pudding (any flavor) and combine with heavy cream instead of milk. Makes a great super fast easy mousse of any flavor you want. Never added hersheys syrup but that sounds to die for so I definitely will next time!!!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 12

Actually My mom makes a Suzy Q dessert that has a mousse in it. It's soooo good! Mix together a box of Chocolate pudding with 1 cup of milk, 1 8 oz tub of cool whip and 1 8 oz block of cream cheese. Let the cream cheese come to room temp, and cream it really well mix with the cool whip cream again really well then mix in the chocolate pudding. Make sure theres no lumps in it. She sometimes even adds mini chocolate chips. I use this as a Cheesecake filling sometimes as a quick no bake cheesecake.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 12

Melody25 - that sounds SO yummy. I'm gonna have to try that one.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 12

I do the heavy cream and instant pudding and it taste wonderful. Can definitely pass for mousse.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry, but no. When you add pudding to either whipped cream, bettercream or coolwhip, what you have is chocolate whipped cream, not mousse. And all of those combinations will be much too soft to use as a filling for a cake if you want more than about 1/4 inch of filling.

Mouse for fillings:

9 oz dark chocolate ( at least 60 cocoa solids)
1/2 c. butter

melt together in double boiler

5 eggs

1 T. Vanilla or 2 T rum
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c, sugar

separate eggs, beat yolks with flavor and 1/4 c. sugar. Add to melted choc mixture. Beat egg whites with remaining sugar and salt. Fold together

2 c. heavy cream
2 sheets gelatin
2T. liqueur of choice ( I use godiva)

soften gelatin in cold water. Mix with gelatin and microwave for 30-45 to dissolve gelatin. Beat cream until soft peak form, addiing gelatin mixture as cream begins to thicken. Fold cream into egg mixture. Chill for at least two hours.

This mixture will hold up to stacking and it actually tastes like chocolate as compared with various instant pudding mixtures, which taste like sugar and chemicals.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 12

I do realize that the pudding/cream combo is nowhere near a real mousse (my pastry chef sensibilities scream every time I make it icon_smile.gif ) but it is pretty tasty (especially if you add more to it than just that) and it definitely holds up as a cake filling... I use it all the time.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 9 May 2007 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 12

txkat..... In mine thats what the cream cheese is for. It thickens it. If you add a cup of sugar to the cool whip and the cream cheese you get a no bake cheesecake. You add the chocolate pudding you get a chocolate mousse/ cheesecake filling just a little looser than without.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

txkat..... In mine thats what the cream cheese is for. It thickens it. If you add a cup of sugar to the cool whip and the cream cheese you get a no bake cheesecake. You add the chocolate pudding you get a chocolate mousse/ cheesecake filling just a little looser than without.

I'm sorry but adding cream cheese still doesn't make it a mousse. txkat provided a recipe for a true chocolate mousse. Your recipe and any other that include adding pudding, cool whip, and/or cream cheese would be IMHO a mock mousse or more of some sort of cheesecake filling but technically not a mousse. Refer to any professional baking or pasty chef text and it will explain further what constitutes a mousse. A mousse is generally thickened with gelatin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%