Fustrated---Venting!

Decorating By Chezerai Updated 8 Jun 2006 , 7:00pm by Chezerai

Chezerai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chezerai Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 28

Hi everyone this is Chez! I know I haven't posted in a while just have been very busy with birthday cakes lately. Not that I am at all greatfull but I really want to do a wedding cake. I mean I look at these cakes on this site and I know that I have the patience, talent, and skill to do these things so why is it that I am not getting any wedding cake orders just little birthday cake orders. Is it because my age? I mean okay most people wouldn't get a 17 year old boy to do their wedding cake but I have the talent and skill plus I have some great no fail recipies. Or is it because I am a male? I mean most people would not get a male to do their cake but again I have talent and skill. icon_biggrin.gif I just dont know and could use some great advice or encouragement asap before I go off on the next bride who dosent go with my services. icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

27 replies
kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 28

Chez,

It's going to be alright. You will get a wedding cake order before you know it. Just know that because you think you are ready right now, might not be the case. Just be patient because your first order may come froma bridezilla and she will drive you absolutely NUTS! icon_mad.gif When you start rolling with the wedding cakes, you will wish you had more time, that generally happens with most things in life.

I have not had a wedding cake order yet and I am a female, but not a teenager, sorry! icon_rolleyes.gif I am rooting for you though and know that you will get an order and it will be great!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 28

HI

Just wanted to say that you being male would not at all influence my decision for picking a wedding cake designer. Some of the best cake decorators are male. I have to honestly tell you that your age would be a factor in MY opinion. Now I am not saying just because you are seventeen you can't do it, I'm just saying most people might think you don't have the experience behind you. Again, that doesn't mean I don't think you can't design a cake. I think the best thing to do is to try and get out there show some of those brides what you can do! Is there a bridal fair? Maybe you could display some of your work, do a dummy wedding cake. I am new at this myself and trying to get some business. I think even doing the birthday cakes you're doing, word does get out and you'll be doing a wedding cake before you know it! Then people will definately be talking! I wish you all the best and don't give up it will happen! thumbs_up.gif

Please DON'T take what I have to say the wrong way because it is not meant that way at all and is only my opinion.... icon_razz.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson

HI

I have to honestly tell you that your age would be a factor in MY opinion. Now I am not saying just because you are seventeen you can't do it, I'm just saying most people might think you don't have the experience behind you. Again, that doesn't mean I don't think you can't design a cake. I think the best thing to do is to try and get out there show some of those brides what you can do! Is there a bridal fair? Maybe you could display some of your work, do a dummy wedding cake. I am new at this myself and trying to get some business. I think even doing the birthday cakes you're doing, word does get out and you'll be doing a wedding cake before you know it! Then people will definately be talking! I wish you all the best and don't give up it will happen! thumbs_up.gif

Please DON'T take what I have to say the wrong way because it is not meant that way at all and is only my opinion.... icon_razz.gif

I agree.. brides can be VERY picky and want somone with experience to take what they are describing and go with it.. I also think you should do some dummy cakes just to show what you can do.. Keep at it!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 28

It is all about marketing. I would take the time to do some dummy wedding cakes, then take professional looking pictures of them. Set up a website showcasing your work if you have not done so and print off flyers and hit the pavement, handing them out to everyone you know, especially those in the "biz", such as bride's venues, party planners, even beauty salons (post your brochures in neat little display boxes and offer the owner a little off her cakes for doing so.) There are a million marketing strategies, but just waiting for someone to find you is not one of them.

Good luck.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 28

I wouldn't hold your gender against you. And, I would definitely be intrigued by your age. I'd mostly be curious. I'd hold off judgment until I saw examples of your work. Why don't you post some of your cakes here and let people react to them? Granted, sometimes people say "great work" when it's really not. But, if you ask for serious critiques, people will help you focus on where you need improvement.

Also...if you haven't done any real wedding cakes, you will need to put together some dummies. The brides don't need to know they're styrofoam underneath They just need to see that you can do it. Your telling them you can isn't going to go very far.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 28

WHAT RODNEY SAID.
Invest in some dummies and go to town
on those cakes. Take pics and let people see what
you can do.
v

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 28
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 1:08am
post #9 of 28

Just wanted to add a bit to what Doug said with respect to license and marketing. Be very carful about handing out advertising materials. You want attention but not from the state and/or county if you are unlicensed. Some states are harder on an unlicensed businesses than others. Not to be a wet blanket but just something to consider. There are lots of folks on here that "fly under the radar" when it comes to their cake business.

But with that said, have pics of wedding cakes that your birthday cake people can see. Your regular customers would probably be happy to see your new creations! These folks who are happy with your cakes will be sure to mention this to others they know along the way.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 1:43am
post #10 of 28

Chez, i just got my first wedding cake order and i started doing cake about two years ago i was just like you at the start wanting to do wedding cake the big ones and i never got them always had birthday cake, and i don't think i would have gotton this if it wasn't for my brother, (that is going to school to be a chef, he just turned 20) his best friend was getting married and he offered him (his bestfriend) me to do his cake. at first they were like no but my brother talked to them and showed them the wedding cake that i did for the wilton 3 class and they loved it and then they said yes. i think if they did not see the picture they would have said no for sure.... so now that i said wilton class have you taken any i think you should. and take pictures of all the cake you'll be doing in class and put it in a photo book and show that off. thats what i have.

just take it easy it well all come soon enough.

shaddi

Doug Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:13am
post #11 of 28
nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:25am
post #12 of 28

I don't think it is because you are a guy-talent is talent-not gender specific. But I do think age could be a factor-albiet unfair. Alot of "age experienced" people haven't been doing cakes very long and get calls-but keep on plugging along-you will get a chance to show your work if you follow everyones advice/ideas and do the dummy cakes-check for bridal fairs or set ups, etc-someplace you can show your talent and portfolio-your time will come! And because you want it to badly-you will appreciate it more when it gets here!! Good luck!

Chezerai Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:58am
post #13 of 28

thanks everyone for the positive words of encouragement(sp)! Yes I am a junior in highschool a senior come August but I will take all this into consideration. Thanks soo much, I love you guys. icon_biggrin.gif I'm feeling much better and I know have the faith to go on.

Doug Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 3:06am
post #14 of 28
Chezerai Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 4:18am
post #15 of 28

thanks for the great advice doug. thumbs_up.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 28

Who does the school function cakes? Maybe you could pick up on 1 or 2 of them-and I am sure there are some senior girls wearing a ring (all schools have several getting married right out of school!) Maybe you know someone who knows someone.....or a church function---

Doug Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 8:11pm
post #17 of 28
MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:05pm
post #18 of 28

Doug's advice is right on!! .

I just wanted to add, that most of my first 10-12 cakes were gifts for friends and family. That's how a lot of us start out. I made my first cake at 17 for my aunt's baby shower. I made my first wedding cake at 18 for my cousin. It was awful but it was 12 years ago and I didn't have CC to turn to for advice, nor did I know anyone who decorated. I bought a book and had to wing it. And I still do cakes to give away. It definitely takes time to build up a reputation (and also to get word out that you're a cake decorator).

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 28

Doug's right!!!!!

Plus I'd suggest what others suggested: make a dummy wedding cake, take pictures, build up a portfolio, I'm sure you'll get orders in no time once people see your portfolio. I started baking cakes as a teen, for my brother, my mom doesn't like baking desserts. But decorating, I started in my 20s when I got kids and was tired of the bakery's grease tasting icing and burnt tasting cake. Have fun and good luck!!!

Lorris

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:58pm
post #20 of 28

Your age is a factor (for me) primarily because I would expect to sign a contract for someone doing a cake for me that is as costly as a wedding cake. At 17, you cannot sign a legally binding contract, nor can someone hold you responsible for anything if something goes wrong with the cake (failure to deliver, not being what they expected and contracted, someone getting ill, etc.).

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 7:14pm
post #21 of 28

I think its awesome that your so excited at your age to pursue this. Unfortunately people are going to stereotype you for being young. Something happens to women when they are planning their wedding. They become major control freaks. That being said, you are going to have to prove to everyone that you are reliable, responsible, and professional. Make sure you are timely in everything you do, do follow up, brides want to know that they can trust you without a single doubt!!! They are planning on this day being PERFECT, and you have to show them you are the man for the job. Being young you are going to have to prove it even harder!! Does that make sense?? You can do it, and like everyone said, time will go quickly, and when the wedding orders start coming in you will wish for the quiet carefree days!! icon_smile.gif (oh yea, i agree with doug on the heading for greener pastures!!)

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 7:16pm
post #22 of 28

Hey Chez!! I couldn't get to page 2 of the posts, so someone may have already suggested this, BUT, since you're a rising senior, you have SO many outlets at school! Get with whoever is in charge of prom and see if you can do a cake for prom. Also, talk to the PTA pres and put a bug in their ear about doing cakes. They're always having meetings and fund raisers and teacher appreciation stuff. They have a welcome back teachers banquet the week before school where my daughter goes. I'm already lined up to do the cake, I also did cake for the entire faculty and staff a few weeks ago for teacher appreciation. I've only been doing decorated cakes since August, so I've had HUGE doors opened through church and school! Once people taste my cakes, they totally swear off the current bakery or grocery store they've been using! Know what???? You may even earn some well deserved brownie points!! If you know the home-ec (or whatever they call it now) teacher, maybe get with him or her and brainstorm for opportunities.

As far as handing out brochures, no can do in SC without a license. You can be a "hobbyist" and you're not required to be licensed, but if you print any cards, brochures, do any advertising or sell to caterers or public, you have to be licensed. I'm a hobbyist myself. I want to do cakes full-time and would love to open a bakery one day, but it's just not financially feasable right now. Remember, word of mouth through friends and family!

I have just completed a cake for 200 for my church, we were celebrating our choir directors 10th anniversary. I do cakes for my church's childrens' groups, whatever they need and at a very discounted rate (not much more than my cost). I consider my time volunteered, and of course I get the free advertising without printing anything thumbs_up.gif That actually started by my asking what they do in children's choir for monthly birthday celebrations. They pick up a cake from the grocery store at the end of each month. SO, I then asked if I could do the cakes to get practice. They said sure, but couldn't pay more than what BI-Lo charges. I told them no problem, it's building my portfolio and giving me lots of experience. Now, they call me! Any time we have an event, they call me for the cake!! I've also gotten lots of orders from other members who have tasted and seen what I can do!

I know this is getting long, so I'll stop for now, but GOOD LUCK!!!!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 7:28pm
post #23 of 28

A Senior Class function. . . offer to bring a cake. Once they taste and see your work, you will have lots of orders.
Good luck, we're all rooting for you!
Leslie

jmt1714 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 8:39pm
post #24 of 28

keep in mind that at 17 you can't legally sign a contract. since you can't be held responsible if things do go wrong (you fail to deliver, the cake isn't what the couple contracts for, people get sick from it, etc.), that would make most people hesitate to do business with you.

jmt1714 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 4:00pm
post #25 of 28

One - I'm sorry for the multiple posts - I was having computer trouble yesterday.

Two, Chez, I'm sorry you felt I was being nasty, and I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt enough that you needed to PM me to tell me that.

I wasn't intending to be nasty at all - just practical. I thought you asked why people might not be talking to you about doing their wedding cakes, and I honestly believe that the fact that at 17 you are not legally an adult could be a factor. Since a lot of people would expect to sign a contract for something as expensive as a wedding cake and since you cannot sign a contract that is legally binding, that very well could be a reason.

I'm not sure why you took it to be a nasty comment - but it wasn't intended that way. I was just trying to keep the post short and direct.

As a practical matter, if you ask or post something in a public forum, you are going to get answers you like and answers you dislike. Again, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, but I think my information could be useful.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 4:30pm
post #26 of 28

Getting back to the matter at hand, Chez, I am 10 years older than you, however I dont look a day over 15. People look at me like I am some stupid kid trying to make a fast buck. People judge; that's just a fact of life. You just have to overlook that ignorance and keep pushing to the front of the line. Be patient, it's not going to happen overnight. But it WILL happen.

Genna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genna Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:08pm
post #27 of 28

Chez, hang in there! I'll be 18 at the end of the month and even though I've been selling cakes for over a year I've only sold two wedding cakes. However, since word of mouth has been spreading I've lined up 3 more wedding cakes through October (and 3 more scheduled consultations). My point is hang in there!!!! I've had a lot of help from my family and my sister and I have done a TON of research on how to look, sound, BE professional. I typically don't bring up my age.

Basically, it's going to take a lot of work to prove your worth to people who underestimate you because of your age. Almost every wedding cake in my portfolio is a dummy. Just be patient because if you have the drive then it will happen!

Best of luck! thumbs_up.gif

Chezerai Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 7:00pm
post #28 of 28

thanks everyone for the advise. and thanks to jmt1714 for clearing things up. I cant believe there is another young cake decorator on this site. Yipee...I 'm not alone. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%