How Should I Color This Fondant Now That It Is On The Cake?

Decorating By indigojods Updated 11 May 2007 , 3:01pm by marthajo1

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:11am
post #1 of 9

Alrighty, so Lajuana has been helping me recreate an awesome Colette Peter's fish cake for my boss' birthday. I thought that I had the correct silver luster dust that I needed to paint the fish a purty silver grey, but I was wrong! I have cc's "silver sparkle" but it really doesn't look like it will paint on silver, more just irredescent. I didn't realize that until after I had covered the cake in white fondant. So now I have a pretty cool looking white fish, but what is the best way to get it to resemble the color of Lajuana's - http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=54512

1) Make a paint out of black and white americolors and paint it with a brush? Then add silver sparkle dust?

2) Mix black and white airbrush colors and airbrush it grey and then haindpaint the silver sparkle (since I don't believe that should go in my airbrush)

Any other ideas? I am calling it quits for the night but I would love some advice so I have a better chance of not screwing up this cake. Thanks in advance!

8 replies
indigojods Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:20am
post #2 of 9

I guess another option is driving to the cake supply store closest to me and getting the correct luster dust but that is a 40 mile round trip so I would prefer not to. But if the consensus is that that is the only way to do it nicely then I guess I will. Which leads me to my next question - what color dust is that? Colette just calls it "silver edible powder".

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:21am
post #3 of 9

I would go with idea #2. I always love how airbrushed cakes looke and then the silver dust on top will be beautiful!

Lindseyr6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindseyr6 Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:24am
post #4 of 9

i agree, go with the second idea

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:32am
post #5 of 9

option #2 for sure. Can't wait to see the finished results!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:45am
post #6 of 9

I would go with the 2nd idea, but I am not that sure about the silver sparkle. I don't think that you will get the nice shinny silver that Lujana got on hers. I really think that you need the luster dust for that, sorry icon_sad.gif . I know that it will llook great regardless.

Vic

indigojods Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the advice! My husband offered to drive down to the cake supply store during his lunch break today. Woo hoo! I had him pick up "Nu Silver" luster dust, so hopefully that will give me the perfect fishy silver. Thanks again!

Jodie

indigojods Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 9

"Nu Silver" is awesome!!! I am really pleased with how the finish came out. I just mixed it with lemon extract and painted it on my fondant. I also used white sparkle for the bottom half of the fish.

For carrielynnfields and anyone else that is interested, here is the pic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=504353

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 9

Your fish looks fabulous! I want to make one now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%