How Much Is Too Much?

Baking By Bouncin4Bonjovi Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 12:37am by Ballymena

Bouncin4Bonjovi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bouncin4Bonjovi Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:42am
post #1 of 14

Someone called me today to place an order for 100 football cookies. The football cutter that I have is from the "Wilton's 101 cookie cutters". It is not that big, only about 2 1/2 inches across. Anywho, I told the woman my cookies usually range from $2.00 - $3.00, but since she was ordering such a big amount I would only charge her $1.75 per cookie. She thought that that was too much money. This price includes personalizing the cookie, wrapping in cellophane bags and tying with ribbon. So I brought the price down again to $1.50! icon_mad.gif What really gets me is, she knew before she even called me that I charged between $2.00 to $3.00 per cookie. (She is a friend of a friend of a friend). I am not a very good business woman. Please tell me if I should quit while I am ahead. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

13 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:47am
post #2 of 14

Wish I could help.....I haven't tackled cookies yet.

Here's a bump...

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:49am
post #3 of 14

I haven't done cookies, but I think your prices sound reasonable. Set your prices and stick with them. Also, let this lady know she is getting a great deal because she is a friend of a friend and you wouldn't give that discount to everybody.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:58am
post #4 of 14

Hi Bouncin! Maybe you could try by giving a list to her or tell that lady about pricing, from cookie, cellophane, ribbon, your time spent, etc, to gives her some idea on how much these cost you to make each cookie.

It looks like she doesn't know alot about business cost. I once asked Walmart why they are charging too much money on tomatoes per pound - they gave me the reason (transportation cost went up due to gas price). I didn't know that and I understood.

Don't give up - you'll do just fine. icon_smile.gif

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 1:09am
post #5 of 14

Cookies are very time consuming and then by the time you do add the cellophane bag and ribbon you have a lot wrapped up in them!!
Just remember you are worth that much for your cookies ($2-$3 each) and stick with that price. icon_smile.gif Good Luck!!

K8-T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K8-T Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:40am
post #6 of 14

I don't think you should offer a discount on more cookies, because making more isn't any easier on you, it's much harder- but that's JMO.

Definitely don't come down on price any more or you'll get to where you lose money. That and she knows you're a pushover and she's try to get you to come down on price every time she orders from you- and most likely she'll tell others this as well. If she thinks it's too much money, then let her try to get them elsewhere for a lower price.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:28am
post #7 of 14

I too agree with everyone. I'm having to deal with a similar situation now, and I've figured out that you have to stick with what you think is right. She came to you for a reason, and if she's not willing to pay for your work, then it's her loss. I think it's a good idea to write out your cost, and let her know, that you charge what you do for a reason. I know that it's much easier said then done...but don't ever doubt yourself, you'll feel worse if you're making cookies and not making enough money then you will if you say no thanks, I can't do them for that price.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:36am
post #8 of 14

Having no idea what your market will bear, it's hard to say what a correct price is. But, if other people are paying that price for your cookies, then she should, too. I don't know about you, but I get mightly tired of doing the same thing over and over and over again. A whole bunch of cookies just alike is not a good thing to me. All the more reason not to give a discount. The monotony alone should be worth something! Ugh!

Bouncin4Bonjovi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bouncin4Bonjovi Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #9 of 14

Thank you for your encouragement and support!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 12:04am
post #10 of 14

i just went through a similar situation with pricing. some people seem not willing to pay. i think it's because they don't understand all of the time and effort that is put into making and decortaing the cookies. definitely don't quit. try and figure out pricing for your area and go from there.

good luck!
manya

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 12:10am
post #11 of 14

Maybe tell her to order her cookies from Toba Garrett..

OR your way or the highway !! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 12:25am
post #12 of 14

i don't have a clue where u r, but in Florida...

just remind her that the local malls (in my area) cookie shop (i think it's great american cookies) charge a little over a 1.00 plus tax for 1 cookie that is not football shaped/iced/personalized or wrapped in cellophane, maybe she would think about that, because compared to what they charge you aren't going to be making anything, also maybe let her know that you are giving her this deal (since u already have) in hopes that she will think of you for future purchases

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 12:33am
post #13 of 14

Let her search for a better deal! You DON'T want a customer like her!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:37am
post #14 of 14

I agree with Isawyer. I have been in small business for years and there are always those who try to get the best for the least. Stick to your guns, friend of a friend doesn't cut it. You will find that some people do not put value on your work when you work from home or in small business yet will go to a retail store and pay through the nose for some chintzy item and not bat an eye. Sorry for my rantings but I have had my fill of these people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%