Applying A Edible Image On Butter Based Frosting

Decorating By MaraCarter Updated 3 Jun 2006 , 12:22pm by Lisa

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 13

Im doing a grooms cake that is red velevet and a butter base frosting(similar to the one that is posted on here for the sixties style cake). So the recipe for the frosting is mostly butter. Do you think I can apply a edible image on top of it or is it too much grease? Thanks for your help!!

Mara

12 replies
flytrap77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flytrap77 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 13

I'm sure it will be fine. I am 1/2 and 1/2 girl. (butter/crisco) I've done several of them lately and they have all been fine. I think the key to a good edible image is placing it on and smoothing it before the icing has "crusted". You know when it is still moist looking.

HTH,

Kat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 13

Don't see how the butter would be a problem. I got some advice about the images the other day. Was told by a pro that the only necessity is that the frosting is still moist. Then she gave me some options:

1. put the image on right away

2. Or, chill iced cake and then put a fine layer of frosting on just where the image would go -- if you use a border around the image this is a good option.

3. Or, spritz (oh so lightly) the icing with water -- not too much or it will show through the image.

Whatever you do, she said, don't put it in the fridge once it's applied.

Sarah

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 13

Also, don't use the edible image on whipping cream icing. I ordered a cake from Wal-Mart last year and they put it on whipped cream icing & also put it in the fridge. What a mess. They had to completely redo the cake while I was standing there waiting which then made me late for the party. The only good thing was that I then didn't have to pay for the cake!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 13

You shouldn't have any problems Mara thumbs_up.gif With frosting sheets, the only kind of frostings/icings you'd need to worry about would be ones with a high water content. Sometimes BC with mostly butter will have a higher water content than a shortening based one, so if the frosting is loose, you may want to refrigerate the finished cake, loosely covered. I put mine in a cake box and then cover the cake box loosely with plastic wrap. This will keep the image from getting too shiny and keep the colors from running.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 13

If you printed your image yourself, DO NOT spray you cake with water! It will make the colors run like crazy!

Just frost it and immediatly put on your image. If your frosting has crusted, then put another layer on or rough up the icing you have on it and redo it. I have tried piping gel, water and clear vanilla and all of them are too wet and my image was a mess!!!

Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 13

loriemoms is right. It can be risky to spray your cake...it has to be a super-fine mist. Any large drops and your image can be ruined. If I don't get the image on before the frosting crusts, I'll lay a moist paper towel over the surface for a few mins to soften it back up.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:16am
post #8 of 13

THat's a great idea Lisa! I'll try that if I ever need to next time. icon_lol.gif

Sarah

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:17am
post #9 of 13

Please share a photo of your finished cake.

Silly thought it may seem, your little piece of your world has become just a little piece of mine... even if it is only virtual. (Virtual/Cycber space play on words folks.)

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:10am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the moist paper towel idea. I've got to do a cake for Sunday and will be tight on time. I'm going to frost on Saturday w/crusting BC, so I'll try your tip. I'm so glad I read this because I was going to spray the cake with water! Yikes!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 8:57am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa

If I don't get the image on before the frosting crusts, I'll lay a moist paper towel over the surface for a few mins to soften it back up.

Thats a great idea! Will have to give that a try!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 10:56am
post #12 of 13

Snonoma9

Do you know why you shouldn't put the cake in the fridge afterwards. I was just wondering because I had being doing this

Lisa Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 13

You can and in some cases should refrigerate a cake made using an edible image printed on frosting sheets. Maybe Sarah's pro was referring to edible images printed on wafer paper which can curl or wrinkle when refrigerated?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%