Green Crisco 0 Trans Fat

Decorating By Eren Updated 4 Jun 2006 , 10:27am by SarahJane

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:59am
post #1 of 18

I bought some green Crisco at the store since it said 0 trans fat. I made some icing using the Wilton recipe (which I do all the time with butter flavor and vanilla). I just tasted it and ewwww. It tasted awful it had an aftertaste! icon_sad.gif
Has any of you used it before? Or am I being paranoid and it should be really fine? I'm making a cake for a party with my best friends and want to make sure they like it.

17 replies
angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:03am
post #2 of 18

I was just about to buy some, so I'm offering a bump in hopes that others have used it, too!

Angie

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:23am
post #3 of 18

Do you mean the color is green? You can get unhydrogenated shortening at Whole Foods.

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:28am
post #4 of 18

I use the "green" crisco with 0 trans fat all the time with my wilton b.c. frosting. It tastes normal to me, and no one has ever thought it tasted weird yet. I wonder if you got a bad batch or something?

Cubsfan85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cubsfan85 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:55am
post #5 of 18

I've used it before also. I couldn't tell a difference between it and regular Crisco.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:00am
post #6 of 18

I have been using the "green" Crisco ever since I found it in the store. I haven't noticed a difference at all. Nobody else has either. I don't know why it would make your frosting tast different than it does with the regular Crisco.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:05am
post #7 of 18

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif COME ON GUYS- (girls) I KNOW I'M FROM HICKSVILLE USA BUT WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GREEN CRISCO--IF IT DOESN'T COME FROM WALMART OR WINN DIXIE(when i'm desperate) I DON'T HAVE CLUE icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif HELP A GIRL OUT

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:22am
post #8 of 18

It took me a second to figure it out...at first I thought, no wonder it tasted bad, it was green. Then I remembered that I saw Crisco with a green label instead of blue or yellow!!! icon_biggrin.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:25am
post #9 of 18

BLUE=REGULAR
YELLOW=BUTTER

????????????????????????????

OH CAN YOU USE BUTTER FLAVORED CRISCO IN BC ICING????

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:12pm
post #10 of 18

Green label=no trans fat.

I have asked about the butter flavored Crisco and was advised not to use in the Wilton recipe, but maybe someone has successfully???

Angie

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 18

I have used the butter crisco in frosting before, and didn't have any problem with it. It does make a frosting with a slight tint to it, but it tasted fine. I just didn't put as much butter flavor in it.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 18

When I used the butter crisco, the BC had an artificial taste... don't know how to describe it but I did not like it. thumbsdown.gif

The 0 trans fat crisco is great... cannot tell the difference between it and the regular crisco. thumbs_up.gif

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 18

I think the green Crisco is like the cheese cake I made a while ago with splenda, no one noticed the difference but I could taste the splenda and did not like the cake at all. I think you just have really good taste buds and so you notice the little taste differences.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 18

I had a bad feeling about the green crisco, so I've only used it to grease tops and do some repairs on fondant. Glad to hear that I may have been right about the tast!

Sarah

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you all for your comments. Maybe I was just being paranoid. It's not that it was an old package, I just got it at the store, but maybe I had a bad batch.
I will give it another try.

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 18

Green Crisco

I don't know how to make the pictures smaller. Somebody X this out when it becomes too much. Thanks.

Green Crisco is canola oil... comes liquid, solid, spray. Don't confuse with the olive oil spray-however.
LL
LL

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 18

The crisco solid shortening with zero trans fat is in a green can. As far as taste I'm sure some people are going to be more sensitive to it than others. I heard about a taste test they did with regular oreos versus the new zero trans fat ones. I think about 25% didn't like the new kind and thought they tasted funny. So, I'm sure some people will think the icing tastes different and some won't. icon_rolleyes.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 10:27am
post #18 of 18

Not to be annoying but just because the new crisco has 0 transfat doesn't make it any better for you than regular crisco. The problem is they are both hydrogenated. You can get non-hydrogenated shortening at the healthfood store. PS. I do use regular crisco when I make cakes for other people, and I use the healthfood stuff when I make cake for my family. I'm terrible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%