Dummy Cakes

Decorating By aikenkc Updated 22 May 2015 , 12:48am by 1haleyj

aikenkc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aikenkc Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 12

I'm just starting out as a cake decorator. I'd like some advise or photos of how to decorate a dummy cake; or what's the best way to frost these cakes. I'm doing my first wedding cake in September and I need more practice. icon_smile.gif Help>>>>>

11 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,
First of all, are you related to Clay Aiken ??
I like Clay....anyway, when I did my dummy cake for the County Fair (in my photos - Blue and Gold), I used Fondant, EVERYTHING, fondant.

It is still looking good. Did it almost a month ago. I used royal icing as my glue. icon_smile.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 12

Bump.
I want to practice on a dummy cake, with buttercream frosting. It will not be for show, it will be only for practice. What should I cover the cake with, so I can reuse the icing when finished?

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 12

jguilbeau i'm also new and i was told that you can use your cake pan to practice on. just flip over and decorate and its easy to get the frosting off.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 12

I find it is hard to get the icing to attach to the cake pan.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 12

hmm i havent tried it yet but which frosting are you using? if buttercream i'm guessing if its too dry then you would have a problem. how hard are you pressing the frosting to the pan? i'm just trying to think of why this would happen. maybe someone with more experience can help out. sorry i'm not much more help.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 12

Hi! I use Sara Wrap over my cake dummies before I put the icing and fondant on it. When I'm done with it, all I have to do is lift the cake up, peel Sara Wrap off from bottom to top - Presto, my cake dummies are clean again.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 12

I use glad press n seal, but saran wrap works well, too.

When you put your dummy on your board, make sure you put some icing underneath of it to hold the dummy in place.

I practice with dummies too. I just take a spatula and scrape the icing off back into the bowl.

Good Luck!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 12

I read on this site that someone covered their dummies in contact paper.

aikenkc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aikenkc Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 12

What is this contact paper I keep hearing about? I would like to make a Dora cake and cover my cake board with Dora wrapping paper. But I know something elese needs to go between the cake and the wrapping paper. What can I use and still be able to see the wrapping paper clearly.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 12

Contact paper can be used for many things. Some people use it to cover shelves in their kitchen cabinets. It has a sticky backing so it can be glued down taut.

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 22 May 2015 , 12:48am
post #12 of 12

I've covered many cake boards with fabric in the colors or theme of the cake, I'm sure you could find Dora fabric. It won't tear or show grease marks like wrapping paper. Then I decorate the cake on a thinner cake circle the exact same size as the cake and then attach it to the covered board with a dab of royal icing. When you border the cake edge with buttercream, chocolate or fondant balls,  you'll never see the cake board. Trim the edge of the cake board with matching ribbon and your presentation is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%