I'm So Confused!

Decorating By revel Updated 7 May 2007 , 11:25pm by ladyonzlake

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 10

I'm so confused about cake serving sizes! Every webite has different sizes! Which one do you go with? I'm looking for 70 servings, 3 tired anniversary cake.
Would i go with wedding cake servings or party size servings? PLEASE help. The more charts i look at the more confused i get!

Thx
Angie

9 replies
loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 10

If it were me I would ask the customer what size of serving they want ( any where from 1 in x 2 in x 3-4 in high---- 2 in x 2in x 3-4 in high-----3in x 3 in x 3-4 in high) Ahead of time you should make a basic chart with the diff size cake with each serving size and how much it will serve. Good luck!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 10

go to earlenescakes.com she has an accurate chart. Wilton's too small.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 10

Don't let yourself get so worked up. I have a chart where i used Wiltons and another ladies and went in between, but I rarely even go by that. There's no right answer. This is because everyone cuts slices different sizes. And we're human and not machines, so every slice isn't going to be the same size anyway. Just go with your gut and estimate. And remember, too much cake is better than not enough icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 10

Pick one of the charts that you will use as a guideline (GUIDELINE!!!) and stick to it.

I use the Wilton chart because 90% of my biz is weddings. I use that chart and price accordingly. I also stay and cut the cake at weddings, so I know it's being cut right. For single round cakes, I still reference the chart .... if the chart says 38, I tell the client it will serve 25 to 35, but I price it based on 35.

They can cut it any size they want .... but the cake is designed to serve 35. They are paying for 35.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 10

I use earlene's cuz her's are a bit bigger...too much is better than not enough to me....
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Her's just seems a bit more realistic thumbs_up.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 10

I use Wilton's and at first I thought it was small but when you actually cut out the servings they're good portions. I was really happy the way it turned out.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the help! My original plan was to do a 6", 8", and a 10" round will that give me enough cake?
Or would i be better off doing the same sizes in square? I have the choice to do either.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 10

you get more cake with square (uses more batter, too).

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 10

I just use the Wilton party serving size which is actually a healthy size as I've cut my cakes so I could see what the sizes look like. If you ever doing a catered wedding the caterers always cut using the Wilton wedding size.
Jacqui

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%