Cookie Icing

Baking By Bre412 Updated 4 Jun 2006 , 8:03am by simply

Bre412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bre412 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 5:17am
post #1 of 13

The cookies in the gallery are awesome. Im doing my first batch of cookies this weekend for my daughters birthday. What icing recipe you favor? And how in the world do you ice the cookies to make them look so smooth. These are amazing. I have always just used the wilton buttercream frosting with the star tube. I love the smooth glossy look. How can I get that affect.

Thanks in advance for any information or feedback.

12 replies
skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:23am
post #2 of 13

I think some people use color flow. As a matter of fact, I was preparing a post entitled COLOR FLOW ALTERNATIVE when I saw your post.

What's another recipe for color flow. In Europe they call it something else, not poured sugar, but something like that.

I was wanting a homemade recipe that didn't call for that elusive "color flow mix" from Wilton.

Can't I just use Royal Icing and thin it down really well?

There is an Alice, Antonia, and Toba Garrett who all have their own icing recipes. Perhaps someone will post these three recipes. I'm looking for them myself. There is another person, Diane Shavkin, who was awarded at the ICES (International Cake Exploration Societe ) It is a big think... her recipe is located at http://www.shavkin.com/Cookieicingrecipes.html

And if you are new and see MMF that means MarshMallow Fondant. It is a homemade fondant made from marshmallows. Some recipes are located at
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/fondant_marshmallow.htm

Also, you might want to check this thread...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 13

I found the link for Alice's cookie icing:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1961-0-Alices-Cookie-Icing.html

This one is Antonia74 icing:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Royal-Icing-for-Decorated-Cookies.html

toba's glace icing:
Glacé Icing

Ingredients:

1 lb of confectioners sugar
3 oz whole milk or water
3 oz light corn syrup
Flavor options: 1 tsp of extract or 1 Tbsp of liqueur or 2 drops of candy oils

Mix confectioners sugar and whole milk together until creamy. Mix for 1 minute on medium speed.

Add corn syrup all at once and mix only until combined (30 seconds).

Divide icing into two to four bowls. Color icings as desired and then flavor each bowl with the flavor options. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent icing forming a crust.

Outline Icing

Ingredients:

½ cup of glace icing
4 to 6 heaping tbsp of confectioners sugar

Stir sugar into icing to stiffen icing. Add additional sugar, if necessary to stiffen icing.
Cover icing with plastic wrap to prevent forming a crust.
Recipe by Toba Garrett

HTH

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 13

I use Antonia's icing thinned out to flow I just started using MMF

mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13

I love Toba's recipe...I use it almost exclusively. You can even use it to outline if you add six to eight extra tablespoons of powdered sugar to about a cup of the icing.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 13

I've used rolled buttercream to cover my cookies and it is easy & delicious too. I want to try antonia's Alice's and Toba's icings one day.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 13

Have you tried Marshmallow FOndant ?
I always use MMF to ice and decorate my cookies because I love everything about it...
Looks really well on cookies, fast (no waiting) and you are not limited to whatever decorations you put on top of it. and it takes color really well. icon_smile.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 13

I also tried using fondant for cookies (also in class, it was pettinice rtr). I do love how it's fast, simple easy and decorate is great. We also used chocolate and while chocolate plastic in class. I think it goes by another name, is it the same as chocolate clay?
It's also easy to work with, similar to fondant. no waiting on the drying. Applied both with corn syrup.
i just got my new KA Mixer can't wait to make MMF and all these wonderful recipes here.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:02am
post #9 of 13

I have only used Antonia74's icing, and LOVE it. I get great results every time, it's easy to work with, and everybody who eats the cookies comments on the great taste.

You can find the recipe, along with her method of putting icing on the cookies, in her article titled "How To Bake & Decorate Cookies" which can be found on the home page or in the Articles section here.

hth!
Laura.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:16am
post #10 of 13

Another vote for Antonia's icing here! It is outstanding and will give you that smooth finish you are looking for. Her article will give you the how-to advice you need to get started! icon_smile.gif

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:47am
post #11 of 13

I have used royal icing and love the detail you can get with it. (don't care for the texture on a cookie) I have tried Toba's which is essentially the same recipe as Wilton's Pour Cookie icing in their yearbooks. Love the taste on a cookie, keeps the cookie fresher, but more difficult to decorate with for me. I have used the powder candy fondant icing used for cookies and petit fours and LOVE the taste but have problems with the colors bleeding even after waiting a day before adding the detail. I did cookies for a friend's coworkers and half of the cookies were iced in the powder candy fondant icing and the other half with royal icing. They gave the powder candy fondant icing a " thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif " over the royal. ( I add vanilla to the royal) I need to find a recipe that is fun, like royal icing, but (in my opinion) better tasting on a cookie.

I haven't tried the MMF and hope to next. What kind of texture does MMF have on a cookie??

kos

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:55am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylightsky

I think some people use color flow. As a matter of fact, I was preparing a post entitled COLOR FLOW ALTERNATIVE when I saw your post.

What's another recipe for color flow. In Europe they call it something else, not poured sugar, but something like that.

Run sugar??

Here is another great tutorial on decorating a cookie. It's very informational like Antonia's and also has pictures on cutting out the cookies using the dowel method. This woman uses a lamp like MissBaritone on this site recommends, to keep icing glossy.

http://www.ladycakes.com/color_flow_cookie.htm

kos

simply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simply Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 8:03am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylightsky

Run sugar??

Here is another great tutorial on decorating a cookie. It's very informational like Antonia's and also has pictures on cutting out the cookies using the dowel method. This woman uses a lamp like MissBaritone on this site recommends, to keep icing glossy.

http://www.ladycakes.com/color_flow_cookie.htm

kos

In England color flow is called "Flooding"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%