Tools?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 17 May 2005 , 4:29pm by Calejo

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 18

For you experienced cake people, what would you say are the must have tools for baking/decorating? icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 18

I started with the following: round, square baking pans in different sizes, disposable decorating bags, basic paste colors, a chip swivel plate and tips #1,2,4,5,12,14,17,21,32.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 18

Cake Movers,

My mother just this last year got me the Pampered Chef, I call them Cake Movers, they are hard plastic 1/2 moons, 2 of them, I use them to pick up my cakes and move them to their boards or on top of another, It sets the cakes on top of others without breaking them and little or no icing sticking to them when moving them from between layers. Don't know how I got along without them. Heather

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 18

Icer tip, turntable, lots of tips and couplers, quality paintbrushes...

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 18

Icer tip, disposable bags, large angled spatula, large flat spatula; double's of all your round pans; lots of cooling racks of various sizes; clear contact paper; good cake boards...and my all time favorite...drum roll please......<TADA> "The Cake Mix Doctor" book

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 12 May 2005 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 18

I need to get that book so I can get the brides white cake recipe....Our wal marts here are out of stock on them....
Good luck on your cake..
cakegal

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 13 May 2005 , 4:09am
post #7 of 18

i love my cake comb icon_smile.gif

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 13 May 2005 , 4:24am
post #8 of 18

gilpnh: Cake Movers? I have in my mind the plastic strainer dealy...to compare them to...

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 May 2005 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 18

Yes, they actually do look like the plastic strainer thingies, there are 2 of them , solid and with small handles. Work great.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 13 May 2005 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 18

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=7926&categoryCode=KC

Here's a link to the lift and serve. I got them too for fondant but the definitely come in handy for moving the cake with good support.

Debbie

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 13 May 2005 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebubbieschocolates

whendo you use the cake comb? i tried it on a cake.. and it was just too hard to comb the sides? it wouldnt come out evenly

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 14 May 2005 , 3:48am
post #12 of 18

color paste, lg tip set, disposible bags, round pans, turntable. you know ........i could go on and on .................I NEED everything

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 15 May 2005 , 9:46am
post #13 of 18

lots of zip lock bags and small storage containers for those left over icing colors

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 15 May 2005 , 12:39pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

Quote:

whendo you use the cake comb? i tried it on a cake.. and it was just too hard to comb the sides? it wouldnt come out evenly

I believe you use it right after icing...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 May 2005 , 1:20pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

Quote:

The comb can be used around the sides of a cake or even on top to make a wavy pattern. It also used to make pages on the book cake! Here is an example:http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=492&cat=0&pos=3

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 15 May 2005 , 7:42pm
post #16 of 18

My favorite tool/toy is my Easy Icer "pump action icing gun"! I can do my piping and decorating without hurting my arthritic hand! Janice

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 May 2005 , 8:11pm
post #17 of 18

I love my tall cake turntable that I made (no more backaches) and the spackling knife for smoothing my cakes.

Couldn't do without them icon_wink.gif

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 17 May 2005 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 18

This is the kit I came up with that comes with my first class:

2 couplers, 1 disposable bag, 1 pastry bag, 1 parchment triangle, 1 clown head, angled spatula, flower nail #7 and tips: 3, 12, 16, 21, 47, 67, 104, and 2D.

The clown head is for figures, otherwise, I find them kind of freaky looking. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%