Just A Bit Ticked Long Rant

Decorating By Horselady Updated 8 May 2007 , 6:42pm by Horselady

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 7 May 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 23

So, my sister is our black sheep, yeah, we all have them, and my family is pretty strict so when she brought home her girlfriend it didn't go over great. They were nice to the girl, let her stay in the house and all, but they just aren't tickled. So then my sister tells me they got "married" (I don't even think it is legal in this state, but hey).

Well, no one from the Family was invited to this wedding, and I don't think they had a reception because they couldn't afford one, etc. So, when she came home for a visit, I made them a small little "wedding cake" not that my parents know that was what it was, but my sister and her girlfriend did. So I dropped it off at my parents' house and left because it was late and I needed to sleep, etc. I didn't see my sister, and they left the next morning....Well it has been two months now, and I didn't get a thank you, it was pretty, it was ugly, it tasted like horse crap, nothing...Mom and dad had some of it and they swear it was good, but nothing from my sister or her girlfriend....

Just show's the real reason she's the black sheep, no manners...What is so hard about picking up the phone and saying "thanks" (I'd even take "I hated it") But at least acknowledge you even got it..... Some people icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to rant, but I went out of my way to make it for her to acknowledge her "wedding" and show her some support and seems like it is completely unappreciated...

22 replies
Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 7 May 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 23

That stinks icon_sad.gif You would think your own sister could find a minute for a quick phone call, email or whatever to say thanks. It was nice of you to make the cake for them though, just shows your the better person icon_smile.gif

milliethemil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milliethemil Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 23

It does hurt when you feel unappreciated by family. I made a birthday cake for my sister. She looked distinctly underwhelmed when I presented it to her. I never had any feedback afterwards. I said nothing - just won't be in a hurry to make anymore cakes for her. It is hard not to keep wondering about it. Was she on a diet and I gave her cake? Who knows. She gives nothing away.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:51am
post #4 of 23

Maybe we can take my brother and your sister and send them to sea in a rowboat.

My brother and I were raised the same way but we are so different when it comes to manners, etc

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:24am
post #5 of 23

Unfortunately, there are a lot of self-absorbed individuals in our society (and our families).

I'm sure the cake was wonderful, otherwise you probably would have heard about it.

Like a lot of people, your sister and some of my relatives aren't always ungrateful - they're just thoughtless and don't take the time to say thanks. (Think it's a case of out of sight, out of mind.)

Hopefully, when you see her again - she'll tell you how great the cake was and how much it meant to her and her significant other.

Horselady Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 23

Thanks guys! I was just boiling because I had talked to her a few days ago (for about the second time since I made the cake, so you can see we're not close) and she never mentioned it....ERGH.

But, I think the kicker is she tells me, and everyone we know, that I"M the insensitve one, and I never cry, and I never show emotion, etc. Yet SHE can't even say a simple thank you...and I was pretty proud of that cake...it wasn't great but it wasn't bad....had roses and vines and leaves, etc. and I wiped out my whole Saturday doing it for her because they came up unexpectedly and were leaving before church on Sunday, (so the left before I even got to the farm..)

Some people...Too bad there isn't a boat we can put our "thoughtless" realatives on....It' would fill up quick and we'd need a few extra boats.... There's a reason she's the black sheep and it has nothing to do with who she dates!

Thanks again guys!

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 23

Hmmm...do you think your sis realized that you actually dropped off the cake at night? With them leaving in the morning, maybe they didn't get to see the cake or even realized that you dropped it off in the middle of the night (maybe your sister's still waiting for that cake you said that you baked for them)?

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 23

That's definitely frustrating.

Did you think of maybe mentioning to her that you are and were hurt by her not saying a word about it?

It seems like she felt comfortable enough with you as a sister and a friend to confide in you about the marriage in the first place so it's odd that once you shared in her joy and presented her with a thoughtful handmade gift she wasn't responsive.

It seems like it bothers you enough to mention it and I know deep down perhaps you wish she was not, in fact, the black sheep to you at least. She's family and you only get one family! Maybe it's worth opening up to her and mentioning it. The worst she could say is maybe "Oh yeah, we got it but I didn't think a mention of it was necessary" which you're already expecting! It just depends on what you think would "sting" more. The potential words she could say or the silence.

Maureen1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1971 Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 23

Did you ever think to say something to her? Just remember, there's always more than one way to say what you mean to say. Maybe you'd feel a lot better if you called her and said:

I feel __________ when you ________ So in the future, please_________

She shouldn't get mad because by phrasing it this way, you are not accusing - you are just letting your feelings be known. You'll probably feel better and in the future she will likely offer a "thanks", or an "I really appreciate it" without hesitation. Maybe she just doesn't realize that you're upset because she honestly thinks you are immune to feeling anything. Maybe never got a "thanks" because she felt you wouldn't need one?

People are funny. Don't hold a grudge - how does the saying go? "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and hoping the other person falls ill."

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen1971

People are funny. Don't hold a grudge - how does the saying go? "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and hoping the other person falls ill."

I never heard that quote! I love it!

Horselady Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by archanac

Hmmm...do you think your sis realized that you actually dropped off the cake at night? With them leaving in the morning, maybe they didn't get to see the cake or even realized that you dropped it off in the middle of the night (maybe your sister's still waiting for that cake you said that you baked for them)?

No, they ate it Sat. night and took the rest home with them Sunday morning (per my mother).....

Sort of wish that were the case.

Horselady Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 23

No grudge, just wanted to vent. I know I could talk to her, but if I do and she does say "oh yeah, thanks" it just seems shallow, like I had to go fising for it. I wasn't looking for a compliment, just found it odd that she wouldn't at least say thanks. But then, I opened my appartment to her and her GF at Christmas and I never got a "thanks, I had a good time" then either....Maybe she just lacks manners...I'm family, so no need to be nice type deal??? IDK. Just agrivating.

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by archanac

No, they ate it Sat. night and took the rest home with them Sunday morning (per my mother).....

Sort of wish that were the case.

Well that stinks. I'm sorry to hear that. You're a good sister for not having anything against her ill manners.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 23

I've found that many people don't get excited over cakes at all. Maybe with everything going on in her life she simply forgot about it.

I would call or email and say "Oh by the way, did you get the cake I sent you? " Once she says yes I bet she will thank you for it. Most likely just slipped her mind.

Or maybe she doesn't know you made it? Maybe she thinks it was bought?

Give her the benefit of the doubt and just ask her if she liked it.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 23

Just to play devil's adovcate, but what if she didn't even know the cake was supposed to be a 'wedding' cake? If you didn't see her and your parents aren't all too pleased about the 'wedding', maybe no one even thought/want to say to them that it was a wedding cake.

Or, she could just be an ill-mannered goofhead icon_wink.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:30pm
post #16 of 23

IMHO - in a perfect world all people say please and thank you, but I would also never make something and then go looking for a thank-you. Just seems to defeat the purpose. I'd let it go - and if you are really bothered by it, just don't kill yourself making something for them in the future.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Just to play devil's adovcate, but what if she didn't even know the cake was supposed to be a 'wedding' cake? If you didn't see her and your parents aren't all too pleased about the 'wedding', maybe no one even thought/want to say to them that it was a wedding cake.

Or, she could just be an ill-mannered goofhead icon_wink.gif

I was thinking along the same lines.

If it bothers you so much then say something. Don't be passive about it. Isn't it easier to tell off family than it is strangers? (Ok, for me it is. LOL) Seriously, mindreading is not a common trait in families. Now that you've gotten the venting out try calling and askign your sis and her partner what they thought about the cake? Did they know it was made for them?

(By the way, did you leave a note with this cake? A card? A phone call/voicemail to them?) If not, it would explain the lack of "Thank you's". Partner and sis may have thought it someothing the family bought at a store, etc.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 23

Family can be a pain sometime. I have a sister-in-law that expected her brother (my husband) to apologize to her for something that happened in a dream. She gave us dirty looks all day. (It was a few days after my father-in-law had died suddenly, and she was in town for the funeral.) What a nut case.
I feel for you, and wish the situation was different.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 23

This may sound wierd to some of you but, when no one mentiones the----whatever that I want feed back on, I do. I'm the one who wants to know, I'm the one whose feelings get hurt if no one says anything, so I bring the subject up usually with a comment like. "Alright already, I need feed back!" My family always comes through when prompted, but they usually need to be prompted. In a perfect world, no prompting needed. But my world isn't perfect, nor are my relatives. But they are nice people who say nice things even if you have to nudge them a bit.

funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:07pm
post #20 of 23

Yes, being a "white" sheep in the family can be frustrating. My sister lives in the past and "woe is me" attitude just ticks me off. I'm 40 and she's 34 and it still hasn't changed. When she calls to say "hello", it's 30 minutes of all about her and 1 or 2 questions about how I'm doing and then she interupts while I'm answering. I always feel deflated after I talk to her, so I tend to let the calls roll to voicemail if I'm not up to it that day! icon_lol.gif

CMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMarie Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:24pm
post #21 of 23

i would ask her about it!! I did a catering job almost a year ago for a bank function. They were new customers and I went above and beyond to impress them (made a seperate dessert for the diabetics, and much more) I delivered it early and everything went great, then I never heard anything else. I know that I got paid for it, but I still thought that a phone call or card would have been nice. I worked my butt off and I have no clue if they liked it! Maybe if I had called and asked then I would be over it by now!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:34pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

No grudge, just wanted to vent. I know I could talk to her, but if I do and she does say "oh yeah, thanks" it just seems shallow, like I had to go fising for it. I wasn't looking for a compliment, just found it odd that she wouldn't at least say thanks. But then, I opened my appartment to her and her GF at Christmas and I never got a "thanks, I had a good time" then either....Maybe she just lacks manners...I'm family, so no need to be nice type deal??? IDK. Just agrivating.

You know, it's really aggravating. I do everything that I can to show thanks to people who do nice things for me or my family.

I have my boys say thank you to people who help and give them stuff and I have them write thank you cards and what not. It's important to me. (I have 3 cards to write up this week!).

Sometimes I forget, I feel bad and I send a card even if it's late. 2 weeks ago I found a thank you card that was no mailed to my DH's cousin from Australia for a baby gift for my now 5 year old son!.. icon_redface.gif When I will keep it until October now and give it to her at their wedding party in Canada! I think we will all get a good laught at that one!

IMHO, I would call your sister, ask her how everything is, just casually ask about the weather, work and their home and then ask how long the cake lasted that you made for them, you just wanted to make sure that it was good, because you had not heard from them. icon_twisted.gif
I would probably also ask if they had enjoyed their stay at your house over the holidays, because they never said, so if you should have the carpets shampooed or something it would be nice to know!! icon_twisted.gif

It's your sister, if she gets mad at you for that, then it's her problem. I think you have to be open and honest with your sibling and give them C#ap when you feel you need to. icon_mad.gif Since you are showing that you are accepting of her choices, she should be grateful. She might be the black sheep, but she is still family and her and her spouse should not be treated any differently than the rest of the family.... I mean with mutual respect, even if it is only from you. icon_cool.gif

I love my brother, when we go visit I always bring something for the girls and something for him and his wife as a thank you and they do the same.
I feel a little thank you goes a long way! It's not always that way, but that is what is important to me. I do the same whenever we visit anyone really! y DH says it's a sickness, but he always checks with me before we go somewhere, so what are we bringing??? He has adjusted so well! icon_wink.gif

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Horselady Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:42pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks you guys, for trying to find the bright side... She really is an ill mannered goof!

When they made the trip up, it was like a week after they got married. So, I didn't even know they got married until that weekend, Saturday morning.

So I was happy for them and said, "Oh, I'll make you guys a wedding cake since you didn't get one. What's your favorite color?" The girlfriend said green. So I told them I would go make the cake.

I made a monochromatic light/pastel green cake with roses and vines, etc. Chocolate mouse filling. I brought it to the farm (and I live all of 10 minutes from the farm and I lease a barn from my parents to train and breed horses, etc so I'm there twice a day every day, and all day a lot of the time....) So, I brought it to the farm and they were test driving her car (it was late "er" as I had spent about 4 hours on the cake on top of normal chores), because it turns out the real reason she came up was to have dad help her with the brakes or something. So I needed to get back home, I was tired, I just left the cake, dad took a few pics, and they cut it that night...Maybe she's mad they had to share it with my parents? Anyway, I asked my mom how it was and she said it was awesome (they love the chocolate/chocolate mouse cake) and that my sis and her girl took it home with them. She said they liked it.

I'm not looking for whether it was good, I've made it about 20 times now and I know it is good. I just think it is so rude not to say thanks or anything, at least acknowledge the darn thing. I just wanted to vent that she didn't say anything about it or even acknowledge it, and I'm not hurt as much as I'm amazed at how rude she is (shouldn't be, I grew up with her).

I definitely won't be in a mad rush to make her another anything.....but, I won't bring it up specifically. Her lack of manners isn't a huge deal, just so darn rude to the family...I wish she could see that, instead she thinks we're the red-necks....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%