Just A Little Upset...

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 11 May 2007 , 12:37am by SueW

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 73

I do cakes for family and friends and at no charge (but if they give me a tip I do except so I guess I am bad) but anyways I am laying in bed playing here on CC and there is a knock at the door (6 am no less) with a lady from church who I barely ever see there or speak to. She has 3 wal-mart bags in her hands and she says "I am soooo sorry to come so early but I was on my way to work and need you to do a cake for me" (hence the bags). I just kinda look at her bewildered like, because NOBODY has ever just showed up at my door with bags of groceries expecting me to do a cake, they always call. I ask her nicely when the cake is due. She says tomorrow!!!!! For 60 people she is holding a dinner and wanted NOT only a cake but a hummingbird cake to feed 60. I pondered about it because I have never turned down a chance to make a cake. BUT this was curling my hairs a bit. So I told her NO! I have my daughters preschool celebration today and tomorrow they are going to the nearest park and playing with each other all day. Can you believe the nerve of some people? It wasn't a decorated cake I know..but homemade cakes of any type take time AND she didn't have all the ingredients. She made no mention of a "tip" or anything. Wouldn't you all of been irritated...first by the fact she stopped in at the house at 6 am to ask me instead of calling maybe last night. THEN she wanted it done in 24 hours without notice. I already have a baby shower and a birthday cake due this weekend and was taking a much needed break from cakes for a day icon_biggrin.gif.

What would you all of said?

72 replies
tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 73

Good for you for turning her down! NO way would I have done that cake! If she says anything to anyone you just politely say you require _hours notice for any order or they pay triple if you accept the short time frame! Many people have no respect for others any more, they all want instant results and they want them yesterday!
Tracy

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 73

I politely would have given her my best sunday smile and said "No dear, but thank you for thinking of me. Maybe next time." icon_wink.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 73

"No." You did the right thing.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 73

You said the only thing you could say, NO. You don't want to start that as a precident. Once you go there, there is no going back thumbsdown.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 73

I would have said no too!!! I can't believe the nerve or some people..and at 6am no less!!! Good for you for saying no!!

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 73

Wow, some peoples kids! I too, would have turned her down. I just don't understand where people have lost the concept of respect for one another!
Jan

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 73

I think you did the right thing. (IMHO) I think that after I got over my initial shock, I, too, would have said No to this one! Six A.M. is early to me, and to just show up on your doorstep, with absolutely NO warning.... I can't imagine.

wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 73

Well I am glad I am not the only one who would of said NO NO NO....I don't mind last minute orders I guess, but this was the last straw. I just felt like I was being taken advantage of. She was a little upset like she didn't know what she was going to do but you know what??? That isn't my problem at all. And I was gracious..I said I am way to busy with school and orders but call me if you ever need me again.....at least 3 days notice...

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 73

6am!!! That's all I am saying...wow!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 73

My GOODNESS !! I can't believe the nerve of some people ! Under NO conditions would I do that cake..... You did the right thing ...

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 73

wow! I would have been beside myself icon_rolleyes.gif 6am is a little rude if you ask me.you did the right thing by turning her down.If you have two other cakes for the week thats plenty of work as it is.I wonder why she waited so long to ask for a cake,it's not like she planned the dinner for 60 poeple 24hrs ahead of time icon_lol.gif

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 73

I would have felt like I was being taken advantage of too. For the most part, I don't mind last minute orders either, but to show up at someone's house at 6 A.M., fully expecting you to do it, with no questions asked!! And then to be irritated that you said no.... NOPE... You definitely did the right thing! icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 73

So, I am waiting for the punchline!....Wow.

Good for you for saying no. I know there is probably a lot of us here that might have said...oh, I'll help you out just this once...and then we'd be walked all over for the rest of our lives.

Good for you. I am still in shock over this early morning "drop off" and assumption.

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 73

If anyone ever knocked on my door that early wanting me to do a cake, they'd be lucky if all I said was NO! You are a better woman than I am. icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:04pm
post #16 of 73

She showed up at your house at 6 a.m.??? icon_eek.gif Good grief!! What was she thinking??? Oh wait -- she wasn't!! icon_rolleyes.gif I've turned down large sheet cake orders due the next day or in two days -- what do they think, because we decorate cakes that we're a "just walk in bakery"?? Honestly! I can't remember who has this wonderful signature, but I just love it -- "You're emergency isn't my crisis!" Amen! icon_wink.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb

If anyone ever knocked on my door that early wanting me to do a cake, they'd be lucky if all I said was NO! You are a better woman than I am. icon_wink.gif

My thoughts EXACTLY... icon_eek.gif holy smokes - the nerve!

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #18 of 73

6 am? Ohhhhhhhhhhh she would've not been treatly nicely at that hour around here, lol. I cannot believe the nerve of some people. They think
their emergency is Your emergency.... :eyeroll:

Good for you for turning her down, theres NO way I would've done it either, after working on cakes from Wednesday til Saturday...... Monday is always MY day off!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #19 of 73

honestly that is quite rude just to show up at someone's house at 6am especially if you have children. I would have been a flaming lunatic if someone knocks on my door at 6 for any reason let alone for assuming i will be doing a cake for free!

wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:10pm
post #20 of 73

My Dh just called from work and was furious....He knows people take advantage of me all the time, thinking because I am a SAHM and all I don't have "anything" to do ....well....pfffft...I have more to do then my DH so well that answers their questions. DH said 3 to 4 days notice no if's ands or buts!!

Yep I was furious that they stopped (even though I was up) my 5 year old wasn't!! She is now lol.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #21 of 73

...and people wonder why kids today have no respect for anything.......they learn this behavior from their parents who show no respect for anybody or anything. If somebody knocks on my door at 6 a.m., somebody important to me better be hurt, or i'd sick the dog on them. After some cakes i'm just getting to bed at 5:30 or 6. Hooray for you for telling her NO!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:13pm
post #22 of 73

I'm not even a mom, but because I don't work outside the home people think I sit around watching soap operas eating bon bons all day! Sheesh! Is that what they do on their days off??? It's not like I have NOTHING to do!! (Sorry, now you got me all wound up...icon_rolleyes.gif)

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 73

SIX A.M.?!!!!

I wouldn't have even have answered the door. Heck, I wouldn't have gotten out of bed. My DH would be getting ready for work at that point.

Guess she's one of those people that hangs around the front of the supermarket waiting for them to open the doors at opening time. I used to love those people - decades ago when I worked in a supermarket. Just wanted to tell them all to get a life - the supermarket would still be there in a few more hours.

But to go to someone's house?! I don't even like calling people on the phone before 10 am! That's more than nerve if you ask me.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #24 of 73

6 am? There had better be a police officer or someone PROFUSELY bleeding if they want me to answer my door at that time. I don't go to bed until 2 or 3 am.
Never mind the time, I can't get over how presumptuious this lady was to bring over some of the ingrediants. You know she knew about this occasion days before you did. You did the right thing. I know it's hard to say no though. There are many times I should say no because of time and I always kick myself for accepting.
amy

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:25pm
post #25 of 73

I can't believe she did that! I wouldn't even have answered the door at 6 am.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #26 of 73

Maybe she thought she could play on your pity by standing there that early with a bag of groceries looking all helpless and pleading for your help. She probably also figured, the sooner she showed up, the more time you would have to finish the cake for her. (Nothing like the sound of a KA at the crack of dawn.)

Obviously, she was being a bit thoughtless, and you shouldn't in any way feel guilty about it. Someone my husband works with ordered a cake from me and felt bad that she was only giving me a weeks notice for a birthday cake. I assured her that it wouldn't be a problem. 24 hours notice for a huge cake....now that's a problem.

As for me...if it's 6am and someone is standing at my door, the first question I ask them is, "Are you crazy?" And they better have brought breakfast for me, too. icon_wink.gif

Angie

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:32pm
post #27 of 73

Me Neither....Good for you. Stand proud!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #28 of 73

Saying NO was the right thing to do. It would lead to not being the only time she would do this. There's always those people that wait till the last minute and you rearrange your schedule to accomindate. We just have to say NO. No one wants to turn down business but this is going a bit to far. Some people think the world revolves around them and they are not considerate of others.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:42pm
post #29 of 73

Wow what nerve!!! Some people icon_mad.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:46pm
post #30 of 73

OMG, I can not even imagine knocking on someone's door unannounced at 6 am!! I wouldn't even do that to my mother, let alone a perfect stranger! I would have never have answered the door in the first place - I'm just that kind of person icon_twisted.gif I just can not believe the arrogance of that woman. Of course you should have said no! I have to commend you for being so polite in the face of that request, especially at that time of morning.

-Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%